The General Videogame Thread

+
So I guess nobody much demanded it?

I'm sure there were those who asked, but not sufficiently yet I'd say. The situation can improve if competition will get stronger. So far Sony didn't do it because they feel developers need them more than they need developers. Imagine a situation where Sony is not one out of 2 console makers, but one out of many, and not even the biggest. In such situation they'd be more willing to do what's actually useful for developers.

Situation is similar to ActiveX / Silverlight vs HTML. MS started supporting Web standards not because they thought that they are useful (they pushed their lock-in with both hands before that), but because other browsers got sufficient influence, and IE became a laughingstock. I.e. many developers started demanding standards support from MS.

Last edited:
Good demonstration how incumbent consoles continue restricting their users: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...were-still-waiting-for-fallout-4-mods-on-ps4/

Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition," Bethesda told fans on its official blog on Friday. "Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive."

Even someone big like Bethesda can't straighten up Sony. Just stick to open platforms instead.

Last edited:
Have mods on console even made much of a splash though?

With MS it was: "pay us first". Bethesda paid them. With Sony it was simpler: "get lost". So MS isn't any better in essence, since not everyone has money like Bethesda does. Modding should be possible without any gatekeepers.

Interesting that it's reached a point where Bethesda are prepared to go public about it. I guess they've given up on hoping to change Sony's mind through usual company to company negotiation.

I think they'll be masking the real problem though (gatekeepers). Just because MS allowed them to do it for money, doesn't mean that others can do it on Xbox (especially without money). So Bethesda were silent when others couldn't make mods without paying MS, while they (Bethesda) paid. And now they are upset at Sony...

Life is Strange has to be the best game I've ever played. I don't want to oversell it, but if I had to take one game in the Dooms Day bunker it would be this one :p The game is divided into 5 episodes, the first of which is free on Steam. Do yourself a huge favor and try it out :)

Anyone know what's going on with Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade? Apparently the release date is Sept 23rd - literally next Friday. But the game is incredibly incomplete. They only have 3 1/2 factions complete. Most of the subfactions missing. The Orks literally only have two classes. Most baffling of all, they are missing the "hero" classes and cosmetics they intended to sell after launch to fund continued development. ??

I really don't see what they gain from releasing the game in this state except bad reviews.

According to this chart (from the developers themselves), 60% of features are still missing and will be added after launch. But how are the devs going to do that without funding?

Top Bottom