The General Videogame Thread

+
Kain's take, and I think I agree. At worst this will encourage sloppy reviews, more clickbait and the gamer doesn't get a heads up when they should. Combine this with the near ubiquitous fact games release unfinished these days, and require multiple patches to be complete. So now the devs damn well better get it right on release or they get worse reviews...except in this case, Bethesda, is the one dictating the release date.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-and-sets-a-dangerous-precedent/#3e49415e6d78

Last edited:
Pretty impressed with the Skyrim remaster. It's got lovely lighting and atmosphere. I'll hold off until there's a SKYUI mod for it.

Space Hulk Deathwing looks like it's shaping up nicely. That might be the first game in since last year that I buy at launch.

edit: Oh wait... that's not true. I bought Stellaris at launch :rolleyes:

Last edited:

A pity it's not on GOG.

Last edited:

The Setting

1920+ is an alternate version of our own world created by Polish artist Jakub Różalski. In the early 20th century, tradition clashes with progress, and the world is still full of mysteries and secrets.

Walking Machines

Mankind, fascinated by technology, iron, and engines, invented powerful walking machines, that proved to be mighty weapons on the battlefields of the Great War and are now part of everyday life.

The Unknown Enemy

Now, a few years after the Great War, secret forces are working towards the destabilization of Europe, determined to set the world on fire and seize control.

Factions

The Saxony Empire is one of the most influential countries in Europe, with powerful industry, developed cities, modern factories and a strong military tradition. After the unfavorable conditions of surrender in the Great War, the current mood in the Empire is bad, and proud elites and humiliated aristocrats secretly oppose the Emperor’s appeasement policies.

The Polania Republic is a large agricultural country with a long history. It is trying to maintain its status and territory, struggling with its aggressive neighbors: The Saxony Empire in the west and Rusviet in the east. Polania initiated a program to modernize its army while a large part of the country is still occupied by Rusviet forces.

Rusviet Rusviet is huge, powerful, and has unmatched industrial and population potential. However, the country is tired and worn out by the long war. People are frustrated, and the power of Tsar Nikolaj weakens. Mysterious Grigori Rasputin has become an extraordinarily powerful man and revolution is in the air...

The Game

After World War 1 farmers found a plethora of unexploded ordnance, barbed wire, weapons, shrapnel and bullets while ploughing their fields. They called it the Iron Harvest.
Iron Harvest is a real-time strategy game (RTS) for Playstation 4, Xbox One and PC, set in the alternate reality of 1920+.

You lead hero characters, mechs, and soldiers into battle. Cover mechanics and dynamic destruction play a major role in combat. Your squads take cover automatically, but a simple brick wall will only offer protection against small calibers, not against mech-mounted cannons.Throughout its open sandbox levels you have to find your own way to reach the goals set by the dynamic story line.

We’re looking forward to giving you more detailed information in the upcoming months. Be sure to like us on Facebook to get the latest news and regular looks “behind-the-scenes”.

iron-harvest.com

[video=youtube;Og5-Pm4HNlI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og5-Pm4HNlI&ab_channel=PlayOverwatch[/video]

I don't know if any of you play Overwatch, I doubt it's up many of your alley's but I've been pretty into it since release although I am still awful and the new character is probably waaay beyond something I can play but I'll give her a try. Anyway the cinematic is great - A series or movie of this caliber would be amazing.

I love how Cyberpunk'y she is.

Laux-Antille;n6881140 said:
I don't know if any of you play Overwatch, I doubt it's up many of your alley's but I've been pretty into it since release although I am still awful and the new character is probably waaay beyond something I can play but I'll give her a try. Anyway the cinematic is great - A series or movie of this caliber would be amazing.

I love how Cyberpunk'y she is.

I'm into Overwatch from the beginning, watching the World Cup now(final is tomorrow!)

If you want to play together - just drop me a PM.

gregski;n6881850 said:
I'm into Overwatch from the beginning, watching the World Cup now(final is tomorrow!)

If you want to play together - just drop me a PM.

I tend to just play with my normal friend group, but I'll drop you my BT in a pm!

(I'm not very good just FYI).

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n6891220 said:
Blizzard ignores Linux users, so I ignore Blizzard. Nothing against Overwatch in particular.

I've never personally had any interest in Blizzard before this. Never played WoW (I had an awful computer until about 2012) so I just played Runescape (And it could only just handle that).

But I've never seen Linux as a gaming platform to be honest, I like it's uncluttered OS for creative stuff however. Always used to run Ubuntu (I believe that's the one anyway, duel boot thing my Pa told me to get).

I admire the open-source support, but I can't play most of what I'd like to on there so it feels like a wasted protest.

Doom got an arcade mode recently. Id has been pretty damn good with the post release support.

Also, 11 Bit teased their next title:

Last edited:
Recently I finally managed to finish Knights of The Old Republic 2. It's been a long time since I completed the first game back in high school and the reason why it took me so long to finally get to the sequel, was that my copy has been damaged and I wasn't so eager to get another one, despite enjoying the first game. Now I had more time to finish some of the titles I never had a chance to play, so I finally got the working copy of the game to see what I was missing out.

It's surprising how much the game made me remember first KOTOR, despite being sure that I already forgot almost all of it. It has a tons of references to the last game, while at the same time telling a fresh story that continues a several plot threads from the first one. There are even some choices that you can "import" through the dialogue that change couple of conversations and interactions, but nothing major. As far as storytelling goes, Obsidian delivers far more complex and engaging plotline then Bioware did, but some people did overhyped it for me a little too much. From what people were saying I expected really morally gray storyline and choices with no clear divide into light and dark side of morality spectrum, but other then one or two scenes and complex motivation of the main villain, it's still clearly a good versus evil story, where the roleplaying is strictly limited to choice between being a space Jesus, somewhat neutral (which is not always available) and total edgelord. That's not what I was expecting when people were talking about how much the game's story deconstructs everything about Star Wars lore, despite it just expanding on some of the controversial themes from the prequels. But even if it's not groundbreaking, it's still good Star Wars story with maybe a bit too heavily telegraphed twist and that's something I should realistically expect. At least it wasn't just an half assed and souless attempt at recreating A New Hope in which the extent of all the fresh ideas started and ended with "Let's make the cast more diverse to cover the fact that our script makes no bloody sense". That would be stupid.

The companions are overall a hit-or-miss. Some of them, like Atton or Kreia, have a lot of hidden depths, some are simple, yet likable and there are others with a lot of wasted potential that end up rather bland and one note. What's interesting, certain characters join you only depending on your character's gender or your allegiance, which definitely adds a more reason to replay the game, though it's pretty obvious that some of those alternate characters got a lot more focus then the others, who fall into the last category that I mentioned above. As a whole, I think KOTOR2 cast is a little stronger then one from the first game.

The game offers a various set of skills to learn, but don't expect many alternate solutions to the problems you encounter on your journey. Many tend to forget that it's not modern RPG that started the whole "combat focus" trend and that game is not an exception, so most of the encounters ends in a bloodshed, to the point that I often questioned how my character is still fully on the light side of things after all the slaughters I commited by playing as space Jesus. Nevertheless, the combat system is the popular kind of hybrid of turn based and dynamic combat, which is very common among cRPG games, but it never appealed to me. Call me casual, but I rather have a fully turn based or more action based combat then something like that. It doesn't help that in KOTOR2 characters tend to block themselves and do their own thing, instead of following orders, more often then in the first one, plus we have a bunch of sections when we play as different characters, which in the RPG game so strongly based on stats and character skills, is particularly annoying, The best I can say about the combat system is that most of the times it is pretty serviceable and slaughtering enemies with your character buffed to hell and back brings a lot of satisfaction, though even that can get tedious at times.

Now let's get to the game biggest flaw, which is how rushed it was due to Lucas Arts forcing the game release before Christmas, leaving final product that misses a lot of content, have more serious bugs and technical glitches then any open world RPG I ever played, despite the fact it's set in a linear locations. Swoop racing is utterly broken and you need a lot of luck to be able to even start the race properly (fortunately, Pazaak, a.k.a. the best minigame until Gwent came out, fully made it up for me). Sure, there is a restoration mod that adds a lot of cut stuff back, but it was a mixed bag for me. Some of the restored content is nice, but there is a lot of things that should definitely stay cut or make the plot even more messy and disjointed. I'm afraid nothing is going to really replace development team actual vision.

If it wasn't for that, I would call KOTOR2 a damn good sequel, but I can't ignore such a glaring issues, which make it hard for me to really recommend it, even with restoration mod, which adds as many problems as it fixes. But I can't deny that I still enjoyed this experience, after all it offers a good story with some strong themes, captures really well that Star Wars feeling and let you fulfill your childhood dreams of being a Jedi (or Sith) to the greater extent then most other Star Wars games do. I think Star Wars fans should definitely check this out and see if they manage to see past all the problems in order to experience another grand adventure in this universe. I doubt that people who don't care about the franchise will be this forgiving.

Shavod;n7034450 said:
I often questioned how my character is still fully on the light side of things after all the slaughters I commited by playing as space Jesus.
Everyone always forgets about all the murders Jesus committed. You don't get good at raising people from the dead without practice, practice, practice!

(And the morality is definitely way overhyped, but cRPG fans are so pro that they min/max their hyperbole skills out of pure reflex.)

I was replaying KOTOR 2 a few months ago.

I was surprised by the intro. I remember always hating it when I was younger, but it's actually really well written. It's basically a classic sci-fi thriller/horror storyline of an AI gone wrong. If KOTOR 2 was remade now with modern graphics I think it would be one of the best RPG intros of all time.

Taris, on the other hand, is awful. It's mostly filler, and the plot gets convoluted.

The companions are more interesting if you know more about Star Wars lore. For example, Bao-Dur is a Zabrak pacifist, which is a bit of an oxy moron because the Zabrak were once one of the most aggressive races in the galaxy, and in KOTOR's time they are still widely employed as mercenaries. Maybe if the game hadn't released unfinished companions would've mentioned more of this stuff in their dialogues.

As it's Black Friday time, has anyone seen any 'must buy' games for sale on GOG or Steam? I'm treating myself to Lego The Force Awakens but not sure if there's anything else good out there.

Top Bottom