The General Videogame Thread

+
Sunsibar;n7276690 said:
Nope. Only 9,5 GB. My internet is fast but my PS4 is connected wireless, so it doesn't use the full potential I guess.

That's lucky, I've heard some horror stories about PS4 updates...

Alan989;n7276720 said:
That's lucky, I've heard some horror stories about PS4 updates...

Yeah, I have heard too :D Worst ones were the system updates which broke the console. Not sure though if it's a legend or true. Never happened to me.

PS4 says that my download speed is about 43mb at the moment.

Only one minute to go and then I can start playing!

Forcing people to fork out 300£ for the few games they want in sub 30 fps :D

I Understood the argument of people wanting a simpler device where they could just turn it on and start playing but with all the massive constant updates for both the console and the games, and with games being released just more and more broken and unlike a PC that in many cases has the ability to tweak files etc to try and fix it it doesn't hold anymore.
Not to mention being forced to pay for the online.

What turns me off from buying a console (besides those points mentioned above) is the fact that consoles have abysmal warranty periods. Not exactly keen on spending 440€ on a PS4 Pro when it only has 1 year warranty. Like smartphones it's a mass consumption product.

All the components in my PC have at least 2 year warranty and most of them have 3-5 years. My PSU has 7 year warranty. My system RAM has a lifetime warranty. And if something does break, I can just replace that component instead of buying a new system.

Last edited:
That's why consoles love to have exclusive games, what better way to sell your under-powered system than to make sure it gets access to certain games? It's stupid, but that's what companies think.

I like the atmosphere in this thread right now:

The hate flows through me alright. I installed Tyranny on my laptop to be able to play a few hours while staying at my parents' home for christmas - only now after failing to load my existing game I remember Tyranny's 6GB sytem memory requirement. My Laptop has 4. Grrraaaaaa

OK. Pillars it is.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7331460 said:
Yeah, when using laptops, I make sure they have 16GB of RAM minimum. Good for running VMs and such.

It's 4 years old, too, and cost 400€ - gaming is not to be expected of it, anyways :D

M4xw0lf;n7331910 said:
It's 4 years old, too, and cost 400€ - gaming is not to be expected of it, anyways :D

Still, it's probably cheaper to add some RAM to it, than buy a new one. If it supports more RAM of course.

Recent update on running Linux on PS4:

[video=youtube;6hxEUm-pHUE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hxEUm-pHUE[/video]

Hopefully some video with The Witcher 2 running on it will surface up eventually.

The 'good' path in Tyranny feels super rewarding after having played the two main 'evil' choices before. If anyone else is planning to play all the major faction choices, I strongly recommend to put the resistance/independent Tiers path last.

I really want to play Tyranny, but developers are unresponsive about a game breaking bug. Two recent updates still didn't fix it. So I'll have to wait.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7388780 said:
I really want to play Tyranny, but developers are unresponsive about a game breaking bug. Two recent updates still didn't fix it. So I'll have to wait.

What bug is that? Does it affect an existing save only, or all playthroughs?

M4xw0lf;n7388930 said:
What bug is that? Does it affect an existing save only, or all playthroughs?

It's Linux specific (a known problem with 32-bit builds failing on large XFS partitions because developers didn't switch on Large File Support). I reported it to them a while ago, but they are not in a rush to fix it.

Gilrond-i-Virdan;n7391310 said:
It's Linux specific (a known problem with 32-bit builds failing on large XFS partitions because developers didn't switch on Large File Support). I reported it to them a while ago, but they are not in a rush to fix it.

First The Witcher, now Tyranny... I'm beginning to think this Linux thing isn't good for you :scold:

M4xw0lf;n7391370 said:
First The Witcher, now Tyranny...

Well, in truth there is a messy workaround, but I consider it a major bug, so I'm waiting for developers to fix it. Obsidian should be a serious studio. If it will never happen - I'll play it with the that fix.

Regarding TW3 - CDPR blew it. They simply backed away from their Linux plans apparently. May be in the future I'll play it in Wine which is progressing with DX11 support, but for now - I'm not really interested in CDPR. Time will tell if things will be better with CP2077.

There were a number of well working games that came out with Linux support in 2016, like The Dwarves. So it's not like I had nothing to play :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom