The General Videogame Thread

+
I recently had the chance to play South Park: The Stick of Truth and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed. The game is amazing and hilarious. It's very true to the show but also has excellent gameplay mechanics (somewhat action JRPG-ish). The quests I played were all super fun and the attacks are really amusing. I am sad to know the next game requires UPlay and that they ditched Obsidian.

Which brings me to my rant of the day. Why do people shit talk Obsidian so much? They are one of the very few major studios that make excellent games, with great gameplay and fantastic writing. Sure there are bugs, but it's not like like Ubisoft/Bethesda/EA etc. ever release their pseudogames bug free. Bugs can be patched and fixed, writing and game design cannot.

volsung;n7418120 said:
Which brings me to my rant of the day. Why do people shit talk Obsidian so much?

Who does? Just point me in their directions and I'll go kick their shins repeatedly. :threaten:

More seriously, Obsidian is one of the few developers left whom I trust enough to preorder/day1buy.
Tyranny may have disappointed some hardcore cRPG-fans due to it's simplified systems, but that didn't keep me from having ~80 hours of fun so far.
(I might even still go for another playthrough... there seems to be one different path left. ^^)

Now for something completely different.
[video=youtube;ok1lWEq2Q-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok1lWEq2Q-Q&t=909s[/video]

Vulkan shown on PS4 + Linux: https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/817235485689020417 (they used Sea Island cards firmware for the GPU itself).

That means that amdpgu + radeonsi should work there too, and that means it should have good enough performance to run Witcher 2. So PS4 owners, you should be able to play TW2 on your consoles ;)

Last edited:
volsung;n7441580 said:
I've been tempted to try Grim Dawn, it looks cool and fun but I often get bored with action RPG's.

I suggest looking into the games mechanics to get an idea if it's for you. I have no problem with it but some might find it tedious.

volsung;n7441580 said:
I've been tempted to try Grim Dawn, it looks cool and fun but I often get bored with action RPG's.
Yeah, they have a tendency to become a bit tedious after the first few hours.

eskiMoe;n7442700 said:
Yeah, they have a tendency to become a bit tedious after the first few hours.

Alan989;n7442770 said:
Yeah they require a large amount of patience.

My issue with action RPG's is how repetitive they get, especially once the novelty effect of playing a new game wears off.

Regular RPG's (well the good ones) have tons of different things to do and good action games have different and exciting encounters. Many aRPG's reduce to wave after wave of enemies that simply have to be put down, and often the different "classes" only have different weapons or spells but essentially the same gameplay opportunities.

Somehow every time Grim Dawn has been on sale, I keep looking at it though.

Edit: Oh the other thing I despise from aRPG's is the randomly generated loot and the hoarding. No problem finding a pair of shitty old gloves in an endgame cave with better "specs" than the legendary gloves from the early stages. These loot-centric elements and the insane, power-driven character progression takes away the real value of rewards and adventuring if you ask me. I like the aesthetics of Grim Dawn though. Maybe I'll try it sometime when it's only $5.

Last edited:
This month's Humble Monthly features XCOM 2, plus 5 or so yet to be revealed games. I never cared to subscribe but I decided to pay the $12 for XCOM 2 which currently sells for $50! The good thing is it's available for Linux, the bad thing is it's on Steam and it seems to have a few bugs.

volsung;n7470050 said:
This month's Humble Monthly features XCOM 2, plus 5 or so yet to be revealed games. I never cared to subscribe but I decided to pay the $12 for XCOM 2 which currently sells for $50! The good thing is it's available for Linux, the bad thing is it's on Steam and it seems to have a few bugs.

Woah. How's that subscription thingy work exactly? Will I pay 12$ every month afterwards, or can I make it a single month 'subscription'?

M4xw0lf;n7474030 said:
Woah. How's that subscription thingy work exactly? Will I pay 12$ every month afterwards, or can I make it a single month 'subscription'?

You pay $12 every month and receive whatever games they have. If you like the idea and want a discount, you can pay for 3 or 6 months at a time. You can also quit at any moment. I payed for this month only and will make it a one month "subscription".

Games that I'm waiting for in 2017:

Delayed / pending Linux releases:
  • Shadow Warrior 2.
  • Everspace.
  • Event[0].
  • Witcher 3 (in Wine, highly doubt CDPR will do anything to release it natively).
Not released yet:
  • Torment: Tides of Numenera.
  • The Bard's Tale IV.
  • Underworld Ascendant.
  • State of Mind.
  • We Happy Few.
  • Planet Nomads.

I'm really looking forward to Torment: Tides of Numenera. Comes out in February supposedly.

Right now I've been playing XCOM 2 and while a LOT of fun, it really is buggy. After one mission I had to quit the game and restart so it would take me back to base, it was just freezing halfway through an animation. And then performance wise, even with a 6700K + GTX 970 it feels a tiny bit choppy with maximum graphical detail.

Something strange happened by the way, suddenly the computer turned to the equivalent of sleep or suspend to memory but nothing would wake it, yet the light indicator in my case was still on. Is this a sign of the CPU overheating? That would be ridiculous considering I played TW3 for hours without problems. I'm gonna start cranking up the case fans just in case. Really annoying for a game that, while detailed, still looks like a cartoon.

Last edited:
Nintendo had a big blowout today for the Nintendo Switch. Honestly - most of the games didn't look that interesting to me. The new Mario looked good though.

edit:
Garrison72;n7486260 said:
It also looks way more adult and gritty than I've seen from any other Zelda game.
Yeah... that clip of Zelda bathing @2:27 definitely gave me some "adult" vibes too...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom