The General Videogame Thread

+
Alan989;n7542210 said:
They're also making this:

I am not really a horror game fan, but I have to play this, because I am huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft.

So, I spent 16 hours with the latest Splinter Cell in the last few weeks, and for the record the first Splinter Cell was my first game which I have waited for back in the days. I have played all the games in the series, except the Double Agent. To be clear, the Blacklist is not an actual stealth game like the first trilogy, or even more recent game like the Dishonored 1-2. It is closer to it, but for me it is not enought just yet. They nailed Sam's animations, and the cutscenes but other than that. The game is too fast for my stealth taste if it makes any sense. I will keep an eye on the next episode but I don't have too much hope for an actual stealt game. The whole genre is dying.

AutumnalWanderer;n7562500 said:
The whole FPP/TPP part of the genre is dying.
While the strategic top-down sub-category of the genre has just been brought back with a vengeance in form of Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.
If you don't mind the feudal Japan setting, playing a group of varied individuals instead of a single character and the rather slow pace with a strong emphasis on stealth it might just be your new favourite title in the (sub-)genre.

Last edited:
Yeah not even MGS V was a pure stealth game thanks to the open world setting. It was still good though despite it's faults.

Alan989;n7563560 said:
Yeah not even MGS V was a pure stealth game thanks to the open world setting. It was still good though despite it's faults.

Yeah, I played more GZ than the actual game... To be honest, the new Thief game was more focused on stealth, and I liked the first half, or a bit more of that game. The end game sucks though. They nailed the artstyle. I guess I have to wait for a Dishonored 2 DLC.

@schinderhannes.999 Thanks for the suggestion but that is not my type of game. I have very choosy taste of stealth games.

So I've been playing XCOM 2 and it's been keeping me up at night. It really is a huge amount of fun. Mechanically it is the same as XCOM EU/EW but with some changes in talents and upgrades. The base is now mobile and there is much more pressure to complete main missions at least somewhat frequently, as the aliens themselves also have some kind of grand plan that has to be delayed/stopped.

I would enjoy it even more if it wasn't so ridiculously buggy. I have to quit and restart at least once per session. Sometimes after a bug, I restart and the game doesn't even read the keyboard or the mouse... The control scheme is obviously heavily "consolized"; I cannot for example use the scroll to zoom AND click the scroll to rotate.

There are other non bug issues, that have to do with game design and mechanics. At first the game is kinda challenging (normal mode) but then soldier talents kick in and they make a huge difference. Die rolls (or the infamous "RNG") are interpreted in a silly way: sure, shots are rarely guaranteed (sometimes flanking an enemy in close proximity does have 100% hit chance) but being *sufficiently* close, I doubt a trained soldier would not at least hit the arm or the leg. Some soldier classes however gain the ability to do "graze damage" when they miss. It happened to me, for instance, that a ranger missed a melee attack against a stunned opponent... Who needs basic hand-eye coordination when there are explosives right?

Performance wise I see some lag when cutscenes start but it runs great on maximum detail (1920x1200, GTX 970, 6700K).

Anyway. Great fun. Very buggy. Easily worth the $12 (and more if fixed).

This still happening?:

That and the repeated complete disregard for usually impenetrable bullet-proof objects like thick walls or similar obstructions killed it for me. I've absolutely nothing against a proper hardcore challenge but if the game keeps pulling stupid shit like this... no thank you.

Never got into X-com (2012). I just found it so dull. The whole game was perfecting a build order. Once I figured out the build order, I got bored.

There was no real sense of attachment to your soldiers. You even had to manually change the color of their armor to distinguish between them on the battlefield. It'd be nice if their colors were randomized to begin with.

Apocalypse Now - the Game

Game adaptation of the legendary film by the producers, directors & writers of Fallout: New Vegas, Wasteland 2, Far Cry & a dozen RPGs

Francis Ford Coppola is excited to announce the game adaptation of Apocalypse Now directed by Montgomery Markland, executive produced by Lawrence Liberty and written by Rob Auten.

The game will be an immersive, psychedelic horror RPG from the creators, designers, directors, writers and producers of Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, The Witcher, Neverwinter Nights 2, Wasteland 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera, Everquest, DC Universe Online, PlanetSide, PlanetSide 2, Star Wars Galaxies and many more classic games.

This team of game development veterans have come together and obtained the approval of Francis Ford Coppola to bring Apocalypse Now to a new generation as a game.

We want your help because the traditional game publisher system won't let this happen.

But you can Make It Happen.

For Fans by Fans

B9TkcsU.jpg

A cross-disciplinary team of AAA game developers, motion picture professionals and Interactive creatives are coming together to create a truly unique experience.

i0ZZUSF.png

For the first time, fans can experience this psychedelic vision of Vietnam as originally presented by legendary filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola.

YyPZrht.jpg

In order to maintain the creative freedom and integrity that this daring and intense tale demands, the project is being financed outside the traditional video game publishing system.

OrJ3yBd.png

We want the support of backers like you to make this vision a reality.

eM6Lv58.jpg

The Mission

Apocalypse Now depicts the horror and spectacle of the Vietnam War through the character of Captain Benjamin Willard, an American tasked with the assassination of Colonel Walter E. Kurtz.

The game is an interactive recreation of Willard’s journey, as seen through a survival horror lens in which players with limited resources face unspeakable terrors.

5gxvz2z.jpg

By choosing how to react to these situations, each player molds a unique version of Willard within the loose confines of the film story. You are Willard and your actions will determine his fate.

Your mission begins in Saigon, where Willard is holed up in a dingy hotel. Audio and visual distortion evoke Willard’s emotions and past experiences. The game provides you subjective access to a character who is already nearly insane.

Unlike a traditional RPG, the emphasis is not choosing dialogue, but rather actions and postures. Combat draws from survival horror to emphasize combat avoidance and stealth. This is not Call of Duty in Vietnam.

You will quickly learn that the gun-blazing solo war machine of other shooters would not have lasted long in the real Vietnam. Instead you will find rewards for proceeding cautiously and managing limited resources with care. Willard is your responsibility; make him an adept soldier and you will command respect in the jungle.

Brutalism and hubris will bring about severe repercussions affecting your relationship with those around you, especially the crew of the PBR Streetgang (aka the Erebus). Your actions can endanger or empower them and will affect how they view you and their willingness to aid you.

There is also a war of resources. Food, water, first aid supplies, anti-malaria medicine, drugs, ammo, weapons, mission information, and gasoline are all vital to your and Willard’s success. While in U.S.-controlled territory, you can find resources through exploration, interactions with allied forces, completing side missions, scavenging from hostiles, and supply drops.

YntO5uu.png

Once the Erebus crosses under the Do Lung Bridge, the reigns of control are sheared away. American influence is replaced by something more primal, all ending in Kurtz.

The world of Apocalypse Now is full of compelling, disturbing, and potentially useful characters. You will recognize many of them from the film, but we’ll be adding new ones in collaboration with our partners at American Zoetrope. Our goal is to immerse you in a tale of drama, magic, and horror.

The Squad

Francis Ford Coppola is the creative and prolific force behind American Graffiti, The Godfather series, The Conversation, Bram Stoker's Dracula and his most ambitious film, Apocalypse Now (1979), a Vietnam War epic that was inspired by Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness (1899). Released in 1979, the acclaimed motion picture won the Golden Palm Award at the Cannes Film Festival, and two Academy Awards.

Rob Auten has served as a lead writer on video game franchises like Gears of War and Battlefield, as an experience designer for Disney, and as a creative director on several forthcoming VR projects. As an entrepreneur, he is working to create an operating system for immersive experiences with the team at Hexagram.io.

Lawrence Liberty has held executive roles at studios and publishers in the Southern California games industry, and has shipped over 70 million units that have generated nearly 4 billion dollars of gross revenue. Titles for which he held an executive producer, studio director or lead role include Fallout: New Vegas, DC Universe Online, The Witcher, and many Dungeons & Dragons titles. He is also a master project lead when it comes to developing or extending game engines and technology. On the personal front, he loves both pen and paper and computer RPGs. He’s spent more hours playing The Witcher 3 than any other man on the face of the Planet Earth.

Montgomery Markland obtained his Bachelor of Science in Film at the University of Texas – Austin. On the interactive side, Markland designed, produced or directed video games for Atari, Sega, THQ, Ubisoft, Obsidian Entertainment, Killspace Entertainment and inXile entertainment. His work includes being a producer on two of the most successful crowdfunding titles of all time: Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera, a designer and producer on Aliens: Crucible, and work in various capacities from assistant producer to CCO on titles ranging from Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir to Rocksmith. He helped tabletop PNP setting Synthicide convert an unsuccessful Kickstarter project to a crowdfunding success. He is widely regarded as the go-to expert for entertainment crowdfunding. He's designed toys for Spinmasters, real-time facial replacement technology, and consulted on innumerable entertainment and social media projects. On the live-action side, Montgomery studied acting at The Beverly Hills Playhouse and directed his first feature film Malibu Road in 2014-2015 slated for a theatrical & VOD run in 2017.

Josh Sawyer is the Design Director at Obsidian Entertainment and is providing external counsel to the team in a special advisory capacity in the area of gameplay design and crowdfunding.

The Soundtrack

Carmine Coppola collaborated to create an extraordinary, dense, textural electronic and symphonic soundscape using state-of-the-art synths that veers from psychedelic to operatic. And we are very lucky to be able to use this amazing music in the video game adaptation.

[...]
kickstarter.com/projects/fringerider/apocalypse-now-the-game

Update #7

DOOOOOOOOM

Hey Guys!

This is a quick update to show you some of the isometric fan art I have been doing.

My latest image is DOOM reimagined as an isometric shooter (ala'crusader).

Here is a link to the other fan art images I have done: http://thebrotherhoodgames.com/labs/

I do these pictures to flex my art muscles and it gets me excited about new directions that we could take this genre.
kickstarter.com/projects/bischoff/beautiful-desolation-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/1797728

Top Bottom