The Grand Theft Auto similarities are a little concerning to me

+
Alright so I got a few suggestions regarding how cars in the game are handled
1.stealing a car and getting away with it shouldn't be easy
2.when you crash and you're traveling at a high speed you should fly out the window
3.taxis (?)
4.gta 5 grade vehicle customization
5. Aaah aerodynes...how tf are they gonna work?maybe you should just make them exclusive to some missions, I just cannot understand how they're gonna work otherwise. You know what would be immersion breaking?Flying one with 100km/h (I don't care about miles) and then crashing into the 100th floor of some building (which would most likely be made of glass) and then nothing happens...Like you just shake it off, and continue on your way, no one is hurt, absolutely no collateral damage.
6.maybe cars you own can boost streed cred or something like that
7.races
8.semi related but will picking up prostitutes be something you'll be able to do?
*ahem* you know like in gta 5

Last edited:
1. This is by far my most concerning one- taking jobs from people and slowly rising up the ranks of the city. From the demo impressions of many media/youtubers, you take a job from a "fixer" or employer for some money or whatever. It is giving me GTA vibes, where you do a job, then you'll get a bigger job from him and after that, an even bigger mission for a much bigger payout. Then, you'll move onto another employer who has considerably more power over the city and on and on it goes- bigger job, bigger rewards, new employer or "fixer" every 3-5 new missions, just like how GTA does it.

The ONLY way I can see this not being completely GTA clone style, is if cd project red does it fallout new vegas style and actually has real factions where if you work for one group you completely piss off another faction and all the combinations this brings when the game has several factions. I hope it isn't as simple as skyrim where most of the factions just ignore each other and don't care what you do, minus the 2 war factions but that was written pretty poorly with those two.

I'm just concerned. It feels way too much like GTA where you get a job and slowing climb up the ranks to rule the city or whatever. I really hope its not designed like this because that is exactly how grand theft auto does it. Its very predictable and not creative at all.

2. The trailer. Again, the trailer gave off more present day los angeles/miami vibes than a futuristic akira/dredd/bladerunner dystopian world. I get it, CDPR wanted to show how it can still be a dark cruel world during the daytime when its all bright and sunny outside, but this trailer did not whatsoever feel as dark or dystopian as the first trailer. I think almost everyone was caught off guard with it. The narrator also made it sound like it felt like a GTA game more than a dystopian altered carbon/dredd game. I also do not understand the redneck scene in the trailer. How exactly does that belong in a trailer for a game with this kind of setting? Again, GTA vibes just from that.

I understand CDPR wanted to let people know things can still be dark and ruthless in the daytime, but please for trailer #3, make it go back to dark and neon lights and all that for its tone. You guys made your point- it can happen during the daytime, but the night and the streets during the night is the REAL draw to this cyberpunk setting, at least for me. Almost all the iconic scenes of akira, bladerunner, dredd are at night. People want this.

I think this is one of your tasks from now to releasing new gameplay to the public to releasing the full game- prove this is not just a GTA clone in the future because I'm hearing GTA vibes thrown out a lot just from the trailer reaction and even some people who saw the demo.

xer21

Forum veteran
1. This is by far my most concerning one- taking jobs from people and slowly rising up the ranks of the city. From the demo impressions of many media/youtubers, you take a job from a "fixer" or employer for some money or whatever. It is giving me GTA vibes, where you do a job, then you'll get a bigger job from him and after that, an even bigger mission for a much bigger payout. Then, you'll move onto another employer who has considerably more power over the city and on and on it goes- bigger job, bigger rewards, new employer or "fixer" every 3-5 new missions, just like how GTA does it.
ok honestly though, how is this any different from quest givers in like, a million different RPGs? This isnt exactly a novel concept, and certainly wasnt when GTA came about.

. I also do not understand the redneck scene in the trailer. How exactly does that belong in a trailer for a game with this kind of setting? Again, GTA vibes just from that.
i dont understand how any of that gives GTA vibes honestly.

I swear people just attribute everything to certain games because its easier than explaining what they think is wrong. Every other open world game gets compared to GTA for some pretty nebulous reasons and it's silly.

Yep. Also that first issue totally describes what, Skyrim? Fallout? Vampire Bloodlines for sure.

GTA came well after Cyberpunk 2013 or 2020, both of which ALSO used that model. Get jobs from a fixer, don't get killed or fail, get better jobs, move up the ranks.

Cyberpunk PnP already did this and about a decade before GTA ever did.

The GTA "vibes" people get seem to come from them, really wasn't the vibe I got. Well, except for the scene where he zips into the city in his car. That felt kind of GTA. The rest, no.

Implementation matters. If you go to a restaurant and the fish tastes terrible, it's not that all fish is disgusting, but that that particular restaurant made mistakes in preparing that particular meal.

CDPR is not Rockstar. 2077 is not GTA5. Wait until you get a taste of the game before you think about worrying.

I mean on surface the redneck scene may not look cyberpunk but that's the point of that scene. They are living outside the city, they dont want to be apart of this specific world, normal clothes, no visble cyber wear EXCEPT the future shotgun. Rednecks can't resist those guns man!

I will try to remain optimistic. I really have no idea what to expect even with all the demo impressions where pretty much everyone was floored by it

How can you have a modern/future open world game that doesnt somehow resemble GTA?
Does modern epoch + open world city + missions = GTA ?

I guess it also gives off wolfenstein 3D vibes.

Last edited:

The ONLY way I can see this not being completely GTA clone style, is if cd project red does it fallout new vegas style and actually has real factions where if you work for one group you completely piss off another faction and all the combinations this brings when the game has several factions. I hope it isn't as simple as skyrim where most of the factions just ignore each other and don't care what you do, minus the 2 war factions but that was written pretty poorly with those two.

I'm just concerned. It feels way too much like GTA where you get a job and slowing climb up the ranks to rule the city or whatever. I really hope its not designed like this because that is exactly how grand theft auto does it. Its very predictable and not creative at all.

2. The trailer. Again, the trailer gave off more present day los angeles/miami vibes than a futuristic akira/dredd/bladerunner dystopian world. I get it, CDPR wanted to show how it can still be a dark cruel world during the daytime when its all bright and sunny outside, but this trailer did not whatsoever feel as dark or dystopian as the first trailer. I think almost everyone was caught off guard with it. The narrator also made it sound like it felt like a GTA game more than a dystopian altered carbon/dredd game. I also do not understand the redneck scene in the trailer. How exactly does that belong in a trailer for a game with this kind of setting? Again, GTA vibes just from that.

I understand CDPR wanted to let people know things can still be dark and ruthless in the daytime, but please for trailer #3, make it go back to dark and neon lights and all that for its tone. You guys made your point- it can happen during the daytime, but the night and the streets during the night is the REAL draw to this cyberpunk setting, at least for me. Almost all the iconic scenes of akira, bladerunner, dredd are at night. People want this.

I think this is one of your tasks from now to releasing new gameplay to the public to releasing the full game- prove this is not just a GTA clone in the future because I'm hearing GTA vibes thrown out a lot just from the trailer reaction and even some people who saw the demo.
Its all about the execution , it has a city and you take quests while driving a car and getting stronger and progress , this alone is not GTA , its WAY to broad of a scope to say its a clone ....... people just clamp things together too easily , if the game will have a skill tree / stats / good loot scheme /Cyberpunk setting with augments and what not , mature quests and impactfull decisions then already its a completely different game.
Doom is a shooter , does it make it the same as Fallout 4 ? or Farcry ? or any other shooter ?
Both games are open world in a city landscape , BUT one is in 2077!!! with a detailed futuristic world , the other is just a current LA open world , one has augments!! and stats and deep RPG (hopefully if we take CDPR word for it) , the other is an action game primarily.

Having a city open world game does not make the game a GTA clone ............. its crazy to even state it as such.
Progression of the protagonist is part of almost every game ever made so what do you mean not creative ? or predictable ? this is how RPG`s are played , how you progress and how well it blends with gameplay and have impact on the gameplay is what separates the bad from the great games and we still dont know how CDPR goes about it.
And finally - they said 100 times that there will be night scenes and gameplay galore , they just wanted to show a different side of their game. , why are you worried about it ?

For me you are coming closer to GTA the easier it is to go on a killing spree and the less rules there are. It's not sufficient to just have a sandbox with gangs, you must have total freedom too. Cyberpunk 2077 did concerned me a bit sometimes. When I read I can just steal cars, it sounds much like GTA but not being able to control flying cars is a restriction that would completely unusual for GTA. What I like to see are harsh consequences and this is what would seperate Cyberpunk from GTA and put it more in the direction of Mafia.

I align myself with Militech? Arasaka will not give me jobs anymore and might sooner or letter try to get me, especially if my jobs hurt their business.
I steal a car? The owner might simply kill me, so it's safer to just take my own car and there is a risk involved.
I start killing pedestrians? There is going to be a psycho squad behind me.
And of coursethe police should be a force to be reckonned with.

What I liked about Mafia was how real the world felt. The cops weren't just goons, they were pretty capable all in all and they became active even with minor stuff like traffic law violations i.e. speeding, collisions and running red lights. While you could play Mafia like GTA it was way harder to do and it was very narrative driven too. It wasn't executing a checklist of all the gangs, it felt real from start to finish.

I think people give GTA too much credit. It didn't establish any of those things. Games that were made long before GTA already did those things. I hope CDPR limits the car stealing in this game or completely remove it. It's 2077 and people haven't found a way to deter thieves from... thieving in broad daylight.

The way the mission actually played out was classic CDPR quest design, with hidden motives, double crossing and a ton of choices along the way. GTA doesn't do this. That said, there is one thing GTA and TW3 had in common- you were frequently someone's bitch a la you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. It's a contrived story mechanic to motivate the player. GTA was way worse, but TW3 did it a lot too. I hope they don't repeat that here.

It'll be a "modern" city, open world, with people and car, obviously it'll "look like" GTA, but the game will be a true rpg

Top Bottom