The graphics

+
I dont know for you guys, but for me, the graphics look kinda bad. The textures are really bad, you can see that on that screenshot https://i.redd.it/x7252rdew6n11.png or on the doc's fingers and hands, the textures are really bad. Also, the lighting looks kinda bad. i know it sounds negatives, but it just looks like the game will look really aged compared to the other games when it will come out, and i obviously dont want that.

It's a wip. It's supposed to look bad in some areas. That area from the screenshot is one of the few spots where the shadows are all wonky, lighting is glitchy, and the textures can be seen loading.

Doc's textures are really high quality. No problems there. Watch the video in 4k.

Last edited:
As already mentioned, the preview is a 'work in progress' and not finalized by a long ways. I too noticed that the graphics were a bit rough in some scenes along with lighting, but I was still impressed non the less. As one who creates textures, I saw some soft textures and some noticeable repeats (to my eye anyway). I have no doubt that we will all be amazed when this does come out.

In my opinion, it looks quite good, if we take into account that it is a work in progress, it is harder to render a modern city environment well than a fantasy themed landscape, we have only seen compressed videos rather than the actual game first hand, and it is only one district of the city. We have seen Watson, and within there, mostly Little China, a bit of Kabuki (apparently an industrial region), and the city center with the skyscrapers only from the distance, never from the inside.

Remember that when the first console footage of TW3 gameplay appeared on YouTube, some people complained that it does not look better than vanilla Skyrim. :)

Their slightly better than The Witcher 3's graphics and nobody was complaining about those. I don't think graphics will be a going concern for this game.

That being said shadows look pretty bad.

BUT, CP2077 on PC will support RTX's new tech (ray tracing), so that won't be a problem for the end product.

Last edited:
I would actually slightly perfer mosre stylisation, they last longer and take the focus away from some arbitrary "photo realism" goal and towards having a strong and cohesive art style for the game.

I understand your points, OP. I share some of them.

The biggest problem I had with the demo is how washed out everything looked. It was too bright. The whiteness basically eliminated the details you might otherwise see on lightly-colored surfaces.

As far as textures and stuff, I also understand, but I disagree. They are definitely lower-res than, say, the Witcher 3, but as others have said, it's a WIP. And as @kofeiiniturpa in particular said, I'd be fine with much worse than what we got.

To be fair, texture quality is difficult to judge on a compressed video, lossy compression tends to blur low contrast details.

Take note that they have to balance between graphics, the amount of mechanics and gear, the NPCs, the interior of the lot of the buildings with no loading screens? The amount of dialogue trees? Surely they have to compromise one or the other. And they don't want their hard-worked narrative to be compromised now, do they?

I've said this before but i'll say it again:
You can't fit great graphics of a linear, game like The Last of Us 2 or Hellblade in an open world, sandbox RPG that's set in a densely populated city like this game on CURRENT HARDWARE. Yeah, we're about to have RDR2 but that's not a dialogue heavy RPG with big-ass buildings with interiors, is it? And Star Citizen is not on current-gen consoles.

We have to understand CDPR for this one. Surely they can make the best looking open world, RPG with 200+ hours of content if they wanted. Current hardware is the only thing that's stopping them. Unless you only want 10 hours worth of extremely linear content but photorealistic graphics like Hellblade . Being a graphics junkie about this will only disappoint. We have reshades if you don't like the colors.

Last edited:
As I noted before, there were many concerns over the graphics in The Witcher 3 before release, too, but once the game was out and people could actually see it for themselves on PC at ultra settings and/or 4K resolution, it became regarded as one of the best looking titles ever. Remember, journalists were amazed when they saw the Cyberpunk E3 demo behind closed doors the first time, I think it will be similar again to what happened with TW3, YouTube footage tends to undersell the visuals.

Honestly speaking, the game wouldn't need to look much better than Half Life 2 to get the job done.
I'm with you. But, them's the breaks. Companies will keep dedicating massive resources to graphics so long as AAA gaming is still a thing.

I guess I'm OK with that, though. Different strokes and whatnot. But it would be nice if some of that art budget money could be spent on other things.

I will say, personally, I think animation quality and art style is more important than how many giga rays your game can show off. Or how high-res the textures are, or how high-poly the models are.

Honestly speaking, the game wouldn't need to look much better than Half Life 2 to get the job done.

I also agree.

But we are in the minority here and I understand that both the audience and CDPR themselves want to push the envelope.

I'm okay with that! W3 looked fantaaaastic. I really enjoyed it's beauty.
Of course you and I and Snow would instantly swap the graphics for much deeper RP systems and NPC/AI interactions and an option to pause/TB combat and true Netrunning and yes yes drool the list goes on.

But again, different priorities. I will enjoy Night City at sunset and sunrise immensely. Even if I can't play a drug-addled rockerboy named Erik Omega with a penchant for self destruction and selling his soul to multiple corporates because funny.

I couldn't care less about the graphics to be honest. I just want a large world to explore, a great story with branching paths and a solid class system for the replay value.

Could we please wait until it's closer to the release date and they've had time to polish the graphics before we complain? This isn't like Sims 4, where what you see at this stage is pretty much the finished product.

I kinda doubt the game won't be much prettier when they're done.

Frankly, I'm pretty sure CDPR is happy about this "the graphics look bad" opinion some people have. Because it means they probably won't have to deal with another downgrade controversy, and can instead look forward to a possible upgrade... non-controversy?

I agree, though, no need to freak out so early in development.

Top Bottom