The HUD really bothers me

+
In the Cyberpunk 2077 demo, I have a few nitpicks that all together get on my nerves.
1. The HUD is too pink. I preferred the previously darker red with black text, giving it more contrast, making it easier to read.
cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-demo-13.jpg

2. HUD has too many unnecessary fragments when scanning, cluttering the screen more than it should.
3. To much visual glitching, when zooming in & out on enemies.
4. The mini map is slightly too large and bulky. It should blend or fade better with the surroundings. They should trim the bottom and top slightly, and remove the glowing thin red border.
5. I also dislike the red striped filter when scanning things, I think it looks ugly.
6. Overall I just think the HUD looks ugly.

In comparison look at the far cry 4 mini-map. It's smaller, cleaner, simpler and blends better with the environment.

maxresdefault.jpg

125133-cyberpunk-2077-gameplay-3 (1).jpg

Does this feel cluttered to you? What could improve here? What could change to make it look more pleasant?

I'm not really bothered by the HUD.
It's one of those things that are most likely subject to change before release. And even if that would be the final look, it's also one of the things that are likely to get modded.

I don't quite like the Far Cry comparison. In Cyberpunk the HUD can have a lore justification in form of cyberoptics, but in Far Cry it's just kind of there. I like the idea that the cybernetic eye is scanning things, identifying of weaknesses, etc.

And while I generally agree that it feels a bit cluttered on the 2nd CP picture, I'm not troubled by it, because it doesn't look like it is a constant thing with all these pop-up's. It could also depend on your skills if you even get so much Information on your HUD, I don't know.

When it come to the map, i think a small border is fitting. But maybe they can implement a toggle that allows one to either keep the map constantly active or using a hotbutton to view it and have it hide after a few seconds.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the HUD deactivated on higher difficulties by default? If so, it won't really matter to 25-50% of the playerbase.

In the Cyberpunk 2077 demo, I have a few nitpicks that all together get on my nerves.
1. The HUD is too pink. I preferred the previously darker red with black text, giving it more contrast, making it easier to read. [...]
I agree on that. In darker places or during the night the HUD may become problematic to read elements on it.

[...] 2. HUD has too many unnecessary fragments when scanning, cluttering the screen more than it should. [...]
There are upgrades in the game that gives you the option to see more information through your HUD, which is simply by design.

[...] 4. The mini map is slightly too large and bulky. It should blend or fade better with the surroundings. They should trim the bottom and top slightly, and remove the glowing thin red border. [...]

[...] In comparison look at the far cry 4 mini-map. It's smaller, cleaner, simpler and blends better with the environment. [...]

I disagree on that. The Minimap in CP77 looks very good.
It does show enemies and a grid-like style of the surrounding area in a very creative, yet clear and slim type. In fact, the comparison with FarCry is very poor, because that one is filled with more unnecessary, and overlapping map markers (which makes it harder to focus or find your path) and does not provide any visual elements of the surrounding area in a way CP77 does, it just looks more like a feature implemented quick and dirty to me.

Sure, the minimap in CP77 could still be improved in some ways, however - by all respects - I wouldn't dare to take games published by Ubisoft as an advice for that purpose.

Better than this:

Seriously though, the HUD mostly looks well organized to me. One thing that stands out in that pic are the effects icons, which could easily be combined with the health bar above an enemy's head.

1. The HUD is too pink. I preferred the previously darker red with black text, giving it more contrast, making it easier to read.
Agreed.
2. HUD has too many unnecessary fragments when scanning, cluttering the screen more than it should.
3. To much visual glitching, when zooming in & out on enemies.
I don't agree here. The biggest factors adding to clutter here are the scan info and button prompts, because they are located centrally and sort of divide the screen into smaller sections. The info needs to be presented, as there is no point to scanning something without that. Button prompts are just a gameplay necessity thing, though there may be options to get rid of those.

I think they could afford to tone the UI back a touch, but I think the glitching and symbols on screen add to the atmosphere and fit the general style of cyberpunk. Makes me feel like my implants are a bit buggy because I'm not rich enough to get high end custom tech that works seamlessly. It also gives me just a hint of claustrophobia, like any good concrete jungle should, and gives me the sense that data overload is one of the costs for cybernetic enhancement.
4. The mini map is slightly too large and bulky. It should blend or fade better with the surroundings. They should trim the bottom and top slightly, and remove the glowing thin red border.
I feel like making the minimap any smaller would make it too difficult to read. I do hope that we can have the option to turn it off though. That would open up the screen a bit more and be less of a distraction when we just want to get lost in the world.

Minimaps overall are a bit of a weird thing for me. I like the utility they provide for navigation, but looking to the corner of the screen for information bugs me. I think the best way to handle maps in cyberpunk is to have a map menu with features to let the player select a destination or draw a route that they want to follow. Then go full augmented reality and draw the path out on the world. It would make sense with mandatory cyber eyes, and I'm pretty sure it could be done in a way that is easy to follow without being overly obnoxious. Either way, I'm all for options to play without maps and objective markers always in your face.
5. I also dislike the red striped filter when scanning things, I think it looks ugly.
6. Overall I just think the HUD looks ugly.
I think there is certainly room for more work and polish, but I'm satisfied with the overall style.

I don`t have a problem with the amount of info in the screen shots because it`s explained in game with the Karoshi Eye Implant .

The colour might be a bit much although i wonder how it will stand out at night or in dark places . It would be good if you could change the HUD colour like in Fallout 4 i liked that bright green .

Image result for fallout 4 hud
1280 × 720

It would be really cool if your HUD style depends on what cyberware you get. Cheap implants look messy and cluttered, corpo has a sleek and clean look. Probably a minor detail but would be cool. Also the developers said in the past that the HUD is customizable.

As long as I can toggle ON and OFF my HUD on demand, I'm OK.

There's gonna be moments in the game when I'll just want to appreciate the visuals and the mood of the scenes.

It says work in progress. HUD is very easy to change, some games even let players to do so themselves.

The visual glitches piss me off the most. I get that its Cyberpunk but I feel that they're overdoing it.

HUD is really never a concern for me. Always loved Fallout and the lore based tech for the pip-boy so anything like that is pretty cool IMO. Don't mind it, especially when I'm sure they would add a color slider.

I'm all for minimalistic UI. My ideal approach would be an "on-demand" system. I tap a button, and context-sensitive things pop up. Names of NPCs, a waypoint marker, maybe various pathways to them, threat indicators, objects of interest, etc. -- all based on what my upgrades let me "chip in" to. It stays on-screen for a few seconds, then fades out.

If I don't want it, I don't invest in it and avoid using it. In general, though, it leaves me with an un-obstructed view of the game world. (And, if such things are ready on-demand, then it should be no great challenge to allow different elements to be toggled permanently on/off, if that's what players want. Letting the player decide...)

Skyrim, Fallout, Witcher... all were played without any HUD.
Someone plz tell me it will be possible to turn off the HUD completely in Cyberpunk as well ...or toggle it ON/OFF when needed.

Minimap is right size. I'm fine with the color of the hud, although for best results it would be cool if we could change the color.

The only possible issue I have is that when scanning enemies for their weaknesses, the icons are too centrally located and bit too big. I just hope that the scanning is voluntary, like a button to press, so scanning info doesnt clutter the screen during combat.

the mini map can be removed i think you can replace it with the similar system that was shown in the 2018 demo

Top Bottom