The Internet

+
The Internet

Excluding how Netrunners handle it, how should the surface of the internet be handled in this game? How will browsing work? How far off should it be from what we have now? GTA V's internet (and to a lesser extent, GTA IV) has the best in-game internet I've seen to date (admittedly haven't played a ton of games with an in-game internet), but if we're going to be playing in a Cyperbunk reality that's 63 years in the future, what should be different?

Excluding how Netrunners handle it, how should the surface of the internet be handled in this game? How will browsing work? How far off should it be from what we have now? GTA V's internet (and to a lesser extent, GTA IV) has the best in-game internet I've seen to date (admittedly haven't played a ton of games with an in-game internet), but if we're going to be playing in a Cyperbunk reality that's 63 years in the future, what should be different?

It should be a cyberspace, like matrix, but with the ability of the internet we know, you could see the datablocks (looking like fortress, etc...) well that's how it worked in the pnp, we have yet to see if the net will be implemented at all, but I'm sure that if Netrunner are in (or at least, the skills for it), it should have to look like cyberspace, because that's the point of the netrunner, I mean having a cyberpunk game without cyberspace, remplaced by an internet like ours would be like playing a racing game in which your couldn't exceed the legal speed lol

I'd say having "casual" internet access for those not skilled or interested in hacking would be pretty much mandatory.
Just like RL it's the place you can get the address of the place you're going to and pull up a street map of how to get there. See who officially own what corp, what their products are, etc. It can't be a "Netrunners ONLY" part of the game.

That said, the accuracy and detail of the information you get should/must be based on what skills your character has. If you're a total internet dweeb you'll get what available to Joe-on-the-street. But any info search or related internet-type skills you have should allow varying degrees of information to be available to you, and this still with not a single point in "Netrunning".

Last edited:
How about the interface? I think you should be able to acces net from your neural link or smart glasses and have it open before your eyes. Some poorer people might use hand-held devices and you could see even old school terminals sometimes.

The only problem I have with interface holograms is the ones they have in real life.
Holograms can only be projected at rather exact distances from the projector. Currently you can only see a hologram from a fairly limited angle of view, get outside that it just disappears. And the 2D holograms currently used in movies (i.e. The Hobbot) aren't full 3D (and won't be till some technical difficulties are overcome).

I didn't mean actual holograms... open before your eyes maybe not the best term. Didn't mean like anyone else could see it. More like it would be sent directly to your eye or brain.

I'd assume something similar to the way a HUD is displayed on the cockpit canopy of military aircraft (or Ironman's visor)
While not a hologram it certainly presents the information you need/want.

For the most part holograms are unnecessary fluff, unless you NEED the ability to see/manipulate a map or something in 3D, and even then unless the game was done in 3d (unlikely) what difference would hologram vs image projection make?

@suhiir

Prime example of such unnecessary fluff is Division:

I mean, I would much more prefer to have standard, more readable map in screen corner.

Like Maelcom was saying, the game needs to have a cyberspace. For the more casual players, have an optional tutorial explaining how cyberspace in the game works. As for what cyberspace looks like; I'm all for the style in Johnny Mnemonic.

Or something like this TED talks video:

@suhiir

Prime example of such unnecessary fluff is Division:

I mean, I would much more prefer to have standard, more readable map in screen corner.

I can partly agree with that. Out in the world it would be best to keep it simple, and quick. I'd have made something complicated like the holographic map only available in the player's Home/hideout/base of operations.

Main book too.
CP2020 pg 67 "Smartgoggles"

Most of my characters keep as much meat as possible because while it may be easier to damage then most cyberware it's not susceptible to EMP, hacking, or being shut down by an over-ride code. Besides, in a firefight "she who looks dangerous draws fire". Let the Solo's be bullet magnets, they like it.

Last edited:
Most of my characters keep as much meat as possible because while it may be easier to damage then most cyberware it's not susceptible to EMP, hacking, or being shut down by an over-ride code. Besides, in a firefight "she who looks dangerous draws fire". Let the Solo's be bullet magnets, they like it.

As much as I love the heavy 'ware, my Solos follow this philosophy pretty much to the line. Except I figure let everyone else, ( except the client) draw fire while you leave out the back.

And it's been a butt-saver, too. Nanotech is expensive, surprisingly high in humanity cost, but soooo hard to spot and shut down.

Arseholes in the Net, watching through cameras and robots, don't make you for heavy heat if you're in soft cyber.

That said, going toe to toe against the heavy Borgs sucks. And sometimes, tactical cleverness runs out and you just have to get messy.

I am thinking just to access generic stuff through the normal net for the casual crowd they have augmented reality. Glasses, cybernetic implants/eye, or even AR contacts. This would be honestly more real and futuristic, I really cannot see anybody carrying around something bulky like a phone anymore. They are all wearing it and it is all wireless access, so people can send files/records digitally to each other through the net. However, I do NOT want to be able to hack boringly this way where it is all text files/screen interaction. Someone in the real world would have to get the information the old fashioned way, get passwords/access codes and do it slowly.

Real Hacking should happen in cyberspace, I think the wireframe/reskinned city idea is the best. Everybody and everything that has access to the net (data points located and moving around in their equivalent location on the world) would appear as wireframe Ghosts of the real world objects? of their real world parts with information above their ghost forms showing information of their system (AR glasses/cybergear/security..etc) and maybe show their difficulty hacking rank. If you want to hack into it then you "touch" the asset you want to hack which would create a "dungeon" level you are teleported too depending the rank of the system. This could easily be created through procedurally programming, so the devs would not have to create each individual room. A rank 1 room would be a smallish room with a single security bot, while a rank 5 would be a massive building with lots of patrolling security programs and defense measures.

What would be cool is that when you get access to the system, you could do all sorts of things. If AR is common, then you could access their video feed and watch whatever the person is looking at, everybody could be a spy camera. If they have brain implants, you could brain hack their memories(rewriting/erasing) or even upload a virus that turns them into kamikaze killers, or even possess the NPC directly. You could disable their cybergear. If you have access to a vehicle, you could look at the cameras, the previous records, you could take control of it from cyberspace and do anything you want.

Cyberspace should be filled with defense programs patrolling, although the patrols focus on corporate locations and not that much in average locations. The character and other hackers should have unusual avatars(including the main character), nobody is going to give their real identities in cyberspace. There also should be hacker hangouts (own personal dungeon areas for hackers that are hidden).

I think hacking programs should be like magic. As you gain programs you gain powers. You can summon a defense program, you can shoot a virus that could destroy, or take over a app, you can teleport to a new location, you could fly around cyberspace, etc.

I would also say that once you been to a place, you can instantly teleport there any time, and if you tag something and get its IP addgress, you can always find it again (like a moving asset).

I am thinking just to access generic stuff through the normal net for the casual crowd they have augmented reality. Glasses, cybernetic implants/eye, or even AR contacts. This would be honestly more real and futuristic, I really cannot see anybody carrying around something bulky like a phone anymore. They are all wearing it and it is all wireless access, so people can send files/records digitally to each other through the net. However, I do NOT want to be able to hack boringly this way where it is all text files/screen interaction. Someone in the real world would have to get the information the old fashioned way, get passwords/access codes and do it slowly.

Real Hacking should happen in cyberspace, I think the wireframe/reskinned city idea is the best. Everybody and everything that has access to the net (data points located and moving around in their equivalent location on the world) would appear as wireframe Ghosts of the real world objects? of their real world parts with information above their ghost forms showing information of their system (AR glasses/cybergear/security..etc) and maybe show their difficulty hacking rank. If you want to hack into it then you "touch" the asset you want to hack which would create a "dungeon" level you are teleported too depending the rank of the system. This could easily be created through procedurally programming, so the devs would not have to create each individual room. A rank 1 room would be a smallish room with a single security bot, while a rank 5 would be a massive building with lots of patrolling security programs and defense measures.

What would be cool is that when you get access to the system, you could do all sorts of things. If AR is common, then you could access their video feed and watch whatever the person is looking at, everybody could be a spy camera. If they have brain implants, you could brain hack their memories(rewriting/erasing) or even upload a virus that turns them into kamikaze killers, or even possess the NPC directly. You could disable their cybergear. If you have access to a vehicle, you could look at the cameras, the previous records, you could take control of it from cyberspace and do anything you want.

Cyberspace should be filled with defense programs patrolling, although the patrols focus on corporate locations and not that much in average locations. The character and other hackers should have unusual avatars(including the main character), nobody is going to give their real identities in cyberspace. There also should be hacker hangouts (own personal dungeon areas for hackers that are hidden).

I think hacking programs should be like magic. As you gain programs you gain powers. You can summon a defense program, you can shoot a virus that could destroy, or take over a app, you can teleport to a new location, you could fly around cyberspace, etc.

I would also say that once you been to a place, you can instantly teleport there any time, and if you tag something and get its IP addgress, you can always find it again (like a moving asset).

I love this idea !!!!!!!!

I like the idea of Shadowrun were the internet is represented by a digital world, where servers are buildings with a unique look and firewalls are traps, persons etc and viruses are monsters, people, things attacking you. Sohacing a firewall can be a dialoge with an NPC, you have to convince him that you are an authorized data package. Or a fight against a mystic creature etc.

I like the idea of Shadowrun were the internet is represented by a digital world, where servers are buildings with a unique look and firewalls are traps, persons etc and viruses are monsters, people, things attacking you. Sohacing a firewall can be a dialoge with an NPC, you have to convince him that you are an authorized data package. Or a fight against a mystic creature etc.

That's somewhat how it worked in the pnp, with less fantasy stuff, but something like this indeed.

Top Bottom