The issue of "Quest Trolls"

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
First of all, i know this is a bad time to complain about minor issues, when there's bigger problems like the latest patch controversies and balancing in general.

Second, i apologize for the term i chose to describe these players, but i couldnt come up with a better one.

Im talking about the players who create decks specifically to complete a quest - whether its from a reward tree or from a faction challenge - as soon as possible. Usually its a player spamming artefacts to obviously complete a 'play x artefacts' daily quest. I know there is a LOT of players who do this and see it as fine, and will probably be offended by this post, but i will complain nonetheless...

Yes, facing these players provide easy wins, and faster than a regular match. That's why most players are or like to face these 'quest trolls'. For veterans who dont need wins and resources, and actually play to have fun, facing these players is a waste of time.

I thought about suggesting a way to report these players, since its a form of minor cheating (not to win but to complete quests). But we all know how often CDPR implements player's suggestions...
I will say however this is a symptom of the poor health state Gwent is in right now. It started with HC, but it got really bad with the iOS launch. This type of behaviour is associated with mobile games (and respective gamers), F2Ps, microtransactions and addictive/toxic behaviours that make players only care about having more instead of enjoying playing their game.

Back in beta, we didnt need daily login bonus to lure us into launching Gwent. But now, not only did CDPR started focusing on cosmetics and monetization, but the players also gained a new focus on getting cards and resources and neglecting the gameplay to the background. I do not see this as a sustainable path for Gwent in the long term.

Rant over.

There is no "issue" regarding that. And if the person is doing that for resources, it is because he needs them, not because he is a Troll.

Sometimes you have to know how to recognize the difference between a problem and excessive free time and intolerance.

Win x rounds or matches is a quest too.
Sometimes I play decks for complete quests, and I try to win if is possible (and sometimes I win).

Is fun complete quest and contracts (winning or losing the matches), why don't you want people to have fun like that?

Actually, if you think about it, if you don't have fun with a game you can leave. Of course, it is hard to abandon a game that is going to be won, but everyone has their preferences. Don't give GG and that's it.

In short; it's not cheating.

It's not cheating, and there is no reason it should be reportable. It's not trolling either; it's simply people wanting to be efficient in their questing. Stuffing a deck as full of Artifacts or Specials as the minimum Unit count allows can also be a lot of fun to play, because no one ever expects to face a deck like that.

The quests are a part of the game, and they are naturally going to affect what people play. Who wants to grind "play 20 Artifacts" for hours if it could be done much faster by having loads of Artifacts at the cost of deck efficiency.

I have Neutral, Special and Artifact decks, i use them every time i get one of those quests and i have around 50% win rate (except the Artifact deck).
I have no problem with those quest, except 20/40 Artifacts. There is only 1 way to complete them - play 10 Artifacts per match without a chance to win. I would like to see these quests change to: Play 5/10 Artifacts.

Back in beta, we didnt need daily login bonus to lure us into launching Gwent. But now, not only did CDPR started focusing on cosmetics and monetization, but the players also gained a new focus on getting cards and resources and neglecting the gameplay to the background. I do not see this as a sustainable path for Gwent in the long term.
Hey, DRK3, once again I like what you say. I'm with you that it is a minor issue for the game. However, I think it's not an issue with the people, but with the way those rewards are created. CDPR came up with those stupid meaningless conditions that do not require players to win or show any creativity. Just to mindlessly play the required cards. It's hard to blame the players needing resources, I just wish the challenges are more interesting.

It's not cheating, and there is no reason it should be reportable. It's not trolling either; it's simply people wanting to be efficient in their questing. Stuffing a deck as full of Artifacts or Specials as the minimum Unit count allows can also be a lot of fun to play, because no one ever expects to face a deck like that.

The quests are a part of the game, and they are naturally going to affect what people play. Who wants to grind "play 20 Artifacts" for hours if it could be done much faster by having loads of Artifacts at the cost of deck efficiency.

I agree, that there is no reason to report such players or call them trolls, but I see decks full of Artifacts or Special often, so I know very well what to expect. And I pass immediately, because it really annoys me. I have special decks for this kind of daily quest too, but they are hybrid and I never play one artifact after the other, so that the opponent and me are really playing and not only grinding or wasting time while the other is grinding. I cannot understand what is the fun in doing so, but each to their own :shrug:.

So playing a deck just to complete a quest, most likely losing in the process is trolling?

Please don't "waste" your time, just concede and move on. Don't suffer the horrible agony of facing a meme deck and move on to your next Enslave / Pincer Maneuver / Wild Card / Mystic Echo opponent.

I, as many others here, am sure that lots of us have jobs, friends, families and responsibilities. One quest is "Play 60 Artefakt cards"- how do you think some1 will complete quest like that when it's working, have gf/wife/husband- how much time it would be needed it to be completed such quest when a deck have 1 or 2 artefakts at max? (that's in-case you re-roll 2 times your daily quest) Even if you re-roll it on the next day, you'll lose progress. One deck can have like 12 Artefakt/Spell cards and that's 6/7 matches, most of which i remind you, that the guy that is playing it, will lose. That's most efficient way one to complete this quests. You call it trolling? Cheating? Want to report those? For what? Some (eventual) losses, few reward points made by hard way, for finding a way to complete your daily quests and not to worry/wonder how long it would take you ? As akhorahill said it- concede and move on.

Guest 4368268

The daily quests (and seasonal reward book ones) are very tedious imo. I would put full blame on the game rather than the players for this situation. It's just the mobile game tactic of giving players a cheap dopamine rush and a bone to chase.

The 'win so many matches with x-faction' I understand, but the play artifacts or special cards and the 'destroy 40 units' from the reward books are incredibly dull. I don't need 40 ore or 2 reward points to get me motivated to play the game, I'd just like for it to be good.

They must be aware that they've watered down this game significantly since they're trying so hard to distract you with trivalities in the form of cosmetics and 'challenges'.

I, as many others here, am sure that lots of us have jobs, friends, families and responsibilities. One quest is "Play 60 Artefakt cards"- how do you think some1 will complete quest like that when it's working, have gf/wife/husband- how much time it would be needed it to be completed such quest when a deck have 1 or 2 artefakts at max? (that's in-case you re-roll 2 times your daily quest) Even if you re-roll it on the next day, you'll lose progress. One deck can have like 12 Artefakt/Spell cards and that's 6/7 matches, most of which i remind you, that the guy that is playing it, will lose. That's most efficient way one to complete this quests. You call it trolling? Cheating? Want to report those? For what? Some (eventual) losses, few reward points made by hard way, for finding a way to complete your daily quests and not to worry/wonder how long it would take you ? As akhorahill said it- concede and move on.

Ahem, I also have a job, friends, family and so on. That is no reason to grind as quickly as you can. But I agree that conceding is the solution.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Thank you all for the replies. First i would like to clear something out.

I do not like the term 'troll' myself to designate these players, but i couldnt find a better one, if you do please share it.
I consider 'quest chaser' but that would even be less clear, since there are lots of players who like to complete quests and contracts (myself included) without sacrificing proper gameplay.

Secondly, i'm not including all players who play artefacts deck in my criticism, only those that stuff as many artefacts in a deck and spam them randomly, relegating gameplay to second plan, for both them and their opponent.

The solution could be to either reduce the condition for these quests (playing 20 artefacts is not as easy as playing 20 units) - like its been suggested here - or to allow players to complete these type of quests against the AI, to save potential opponent's time.

Finally, i recommend re-roll those damn quests, its not that hard.

The solution could be to either reduce the condition for these quests (playing 20 artefacts is not as easy as playing 20 units) - like its been suggested here
Yeah, that would be a good change.

Except that those quests award RP (which is also why they're less likely to be re-rolled) and I think the hardest Artifact quest even awards 2 RP. Making the quest(s) easier should be reflected in the rewards -- which wouldn't be a difficult thing to to change, but if the RP rewards were completely replaced with the usual ore, there would probably be some who'd be unhappy about losing that method of gaining RP. Or maybe I'm analyzing it too much, I don't know.

Allowing quests to be completed against AI doesn't sound like a particularly good idea when the only AI opponent is the Training mode one. Training being used to complete quests, and get rewards... eh, not really a fan of the idea.

but if the RP rewards were completely replaced with the usual ore, there would probably be some who'd be unhappy about losing that method of gaining RP
I like those quests very much. I get roughly 2 RP per day, 4 on the weekends, so those quests allow to me get enough points to unlock the nodes I desire most from the seasonal trees.

I have one deck full of artifacts, one full of crimes and a third consisting of neutral cards (bandits). I actually enjoy playing those from time to time, trying hard to squeeze a win. The system is not broken and does not need fixing.

Anyone who does not want to play against those decks just have to stick to the ranked ladder or concede on casual.

In GWENT, we get to choose what decks we play with but sadly our opponent has the same right. I'm sure that if we were allowed to choose what decks we'd like to play against, we would all like to put our 2 cents and I doubt enslave would see the light of day.

Last edited:
@dk
I can totally sympathize with your desire for good gameplay, however, the problem isn't with the players but with the choices the developers have made. These choices have ramifications beyond daily quests too; for instance, many players will play and early concede games just to get exp. to upgrade prestige levels. There are many choices the developers have made that should have been better thought through and now should be acknowledged and changed.

I don't mean to aggravate anyone, but before I saw your post here, I thought building a deck of efficient artifacts and supporting them with units and specials was a scarce but quite elegant, and also completely viable option to play. I have faced one of these a few times (I've only been playing little over for a month now), and was in fact happy to see the change of pace and gamestyle, even if my ass got kicked. So much so that I actually entertained the idea of building one such deck myself, but didn't have the proper resources.

After you brought it up though, I returned to the idea and since now I had some fairly nice artifacts and neutral cards (lucked out on a premium Sihil for example on one of my kegs, that I didn't use anywhere else - I like to play 'pure' faction decks, but that's also just a personal quirk) I tried my hand with a deck like that, and I have to say it seems quite a good strategy and playstyle with a fairly decent success-rate. It doesn't really work against boosting decks, but gave me oh-so-much pleasure beating cheesy copy/paste lock-and-poison Nilfgaard and Siege Engine-galore NR decks with them, I keep returning to it from time to time, adding new Neutral units and new, improved artifacts to it as I go.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I don't mean to aggravate anyone, but before I saw your post here, I thought building a deck of efficient artifacts and supporting them with units and specials was a scarce but quite elegant, and also completely viable option to play. I have faced one of these a few times (I've only been playing little over for a month now), and was in fact happy to see the change of pace and gamestyle, even if my ass got kicked. So much so that I actually entertained the idea of building one such deck myself, but didn't have the proper resources.

After you brought it up though, I returned to the idea and since now I had some fairly nice artifacts and neutral cards (lucked out on a premium Sihil for example on one of my kegs, that I didn't use anywhere else - I like to play 'pure' faction decks, but that's also just a personal quirk) I tried my hand with a deck like that, and I have to say it seems quite a good strategy and playstyle with a fairly decent success-rate. It doesn't really work against boosting decks, but gave me oh-so-much pleasure beating cheesy copy/paste lock-and-poison Nilfgaard and Siege Engine-galore NR decks with them, I keep returning to it from time to time, adding new Neutral units and new, improved artifacts to it as I go.

I stress again (not necessarily for you, but for everyone) that im NOT against artefact decks.

I have built several artefact decks myself and enjoy playing them. As long as one creates a strategy behind it, and uses it to try and win, like natural gameplay. I am only criticizing the players who just press the 'artefact' filter on deck builder and spam as many as they can, then they go to seasonal and just spam all artefacts randomly, just to get the quest done ASAP.

I stress again (not necessarily for you, but for everyone) that im NOT against artefact decks.

I have built several artefact decks myself and enjoy playing them. As long as one creates a strategy behind it, and uses it to try and win, like natural gameplay. I am only criticizing the players who just press the 'artefact' filter on deck builder and spam as many as they can, then they go to seasonal and just spam all artefacts randomly, just to get the quest done ASAP.

I'm all with you on this one. Today I played against an opponent with an artifact deck who had such a strategy and it was not easy to win against him. It was a real match and I'm sure we both had fun. And he did his quest anyway.

Top Bottom