The Johnny/Keanu Issue

+
I know there is a lot of opinion on all sides about Silverhand dominating the main storyline and how maybe it was that way because Keanu wanted it but this (I think. I haven't read most of this forum) is different take on it.

As I was playing today it occurred to me that the problem with Johnny isn't necessarily Johnny, it's Keanu.

I was doing the quest where you
fix the rollercoaster and as I was riding the rollercoaster with Johnny,
I thought "This so cool I'm
riding a rollercoaster
with Keanu Reeves!!!! WHOO HOO!!!"

And I realized I think of Silverhand as Keanu. The problem is Keanu Reeves is a bigger character to me than Johnny Silverhand will or could ever be. And THAT is problem for the storytelling aspect of the game.

Honestly, I really liked the Johnny Silverhand portion of the game but the biggest problem for me is the fact that he's given not enough Big PersonalitiesTM to play off of. Johnny Silverhand is awesome, I love Johnny Silverhand, but there are people every bit as big as him in this world.

Saburo Arasaka is the Sauron/Ganon/Dark Lord/Voldemort of the setting and he gets knocked off without any real consequence to it. We could have done a truly fascinating game with Johnny overshadowed by the one guy in the world more terrifying than him.

We needed Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa to play Saboru or a possessed Yorinobu. We know he does video games.

Johnny dont dominate my playthrough anymore than any companion in any game that has them, less so if at times if i choose

Who's voicing him also aint a problem as i dont get starstruck, ok i probably would for Sophia Loren

Top Bottom