The Katakan is impossible on Death March (Level 13).

+
The Katakan is impossible on Death March (Level 13).

This is not a level 14 fight. The whole game has taken a step back from the 2nd and particularly the 1st of the series.

I like difficult games. I have 100%'ed the Witcher 2 on Steam, including the "Madman" achievement. Loved the dragon fight.

I am a big Dark Souls player and Bloodborne.

The Katakan fight is stupidly designed, it is really impossible for a player of similar level to the best on death march.

I have tried bombs, vampire oil, all the possible signs, Tawny owl potions, Thunderbolt. It will always kill me even if I try to dodge or spam fast attacks.

This is really bad, I can post a video montage of how ridiculously stupid this fight is with all the possible techniques I've tried.

Cheers.

I beat it at around level 10 without any difficulty on death march. Use cat potion to be able to see, use the dodge skill (100% dmg reduction while dodging, not rolling), use blizzard, petri philtre, max igni so it burns 100%. Easy mode.

You need one of the level 12 silver swords for this fight, I had to reload the game back to the beginning the first time i tried it. It is doable but for sure, the jump from silly drowners to this is a bit imbalanced. He should regenerate 20% less IMO

This is not a level 14 fight. The whole game has taken a step back from the 2nd and particularly the 1st of the series.

I like difficult games. I have 100%'ed the Witcher 2 on Steam, including the "Madman" achievement. Loved the dragon fight.

I am a big Dark Souls player and Bloodborne.

The Katakan fight is stupidly designed, it is really impossible for a player of similar level to the best on death march.

I have tried bombs, vampire oil, all the possible signs, Tawny owl potions, Thunderbolt. It will always kill me even if I try to dodge or spam fast attacks.

This is really bad, I can post a video montage of how ridiculously stupid this fight is with all the possible techniques I've tried.

Cheers.

Which one are you fighting? Sarasti? Quen (both forms) and Igni (both forms)? Tried that?

Cat potion does not make it visible. You are wrong.

Quen will only stun it for 1 second. Once it starts running around in a circle while invisible it will regen all the damage I have done to him.

I have only levelled magic in this game, no sword or HP at level 13 because I wanted a pure magic character.

So I have Igni 3, the other fire effect after it, some Aard and other signs.

Last edited:
Trying to remember this fight. Is it in an inclosed space? I know he regens HP but I'm pretty sure once you can get his back and land crits he goes down pretty fast. Don't recall any issues with this encounter personally.

Cat potion does not make it visible. You are wrong.

You're right, this fight is clearly impossible and way too hard. /s
Enhanced/superior cat... reveals all invisible type foes.

Even then you don't need that as you can actually see the outline moving without it. It's just to make it even more easy mode.

Last edited:
I find Yrden to be very useful against any vampire enemy, so I recommend trying that. Even the game says at some point that enemies like that are just DPS races, so you either prevent the regen or you just full on go bananas with attacks and pray for victory.

I got frustrated on Death March so I button mashed and lobbed Dragon Dreams and Dancing Stars at it until it died.

Thanks for the enhanced cat advice I will try that. But it is obvious by your tone that you are seeking to provoke me. Perhaps you are of that mindset so I won't hold that against you.

If I have had no trouble with the rest of the game, and I have completed games which are considered to be niche, then I don't understand why I am having trouble with this. You say it's "easy mode" but I don't see how this is easy mode.

I would say most of the bosses are definitely easy in this game, and this monster is harder than any of the bosses I've fought so far. The botchling was the stupidest, so was that Skeletor type boss.

Edit: Regarding anyone else who's given advice (who is not a rabid, lust-filled feverish teenager with exploding pants) I will definitely try fire bombs now. That seems the easiest way to kill in theory as I have already tried signs.

Last edited:
Nobody is trying to provoke you, and even how much dark souls and bloodbourne you have played and how good you usually are at hard games it doesnt sound like you know what you are doing.. You need to spend quite a bit of time to kill it, and you also need a fairly good silver sword. If you are level 13 and have a level 5 sword theres your problem.. I recommend using Yrden and Moon Dust so it doesnt go ethereal. Also use fire bombs and igni. But imo best is Yrden and then roll behind him and go for critical hits when he has his back turned. Either way this fight isnt alone right? so if you spend a bit of time you should be able to do it even if you have a weak build.

I got frustrated on Death March so I button mashed and lobbed Dragon Dreams and Dancing Stars at it until it died.

This did it and thanks very much. This is how it went down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQzjbmPZRBs

At this point, I had all possible oils and ridiculous amounts of potions for this fight and everything was not as easy.

1) Vampire Oil
2) Tawny Owl
3) Enhanced swallow
4) Thunderbolt
5) Blood potions

Signs don't regen fast enough even with Tawny. They are not very good for this fight. Quen does not last long enough. Igni does not burn long enough and that is all I levelled at this point. The rest are not very good.

The easiest way is definitely bombs like you said. I had Enhanced versions of these bombs and they make this fight easy.

Throw a bomb, wait for its health to go down a bit. Then drink Thunderbolt and keep attacking it.

The funniest thing about all this is that the devs always go on about how complex they want to make the combat in this game. This is since they used to put the mouse-button combos in the first game, to create some illusion of finesse. The combat is nothing more than spamming a single mouse button once you have the trump card.

Thanks very much, I can do this guide now.

umm just use the tactic that works 100%, cat to make it easier to see outline, use quen, atk in doge atk dodge atk dodge. easy

Top Bottom