The lack of 3rd person view

+
Probably, you would not have the feeling so "intense"...
...that he is using you like a puppet and that he frankly lied to you while being in sight in the 3rd person :)
"Hey johnny ! what are you doing gonk... Just talk to Rogue, that was the plan... Oh boy, not the the goat ! No, no, no... not the red pill... I don't want follow Alice at the bottom of the hole !!!"
The fact that you see everything through the eyes of the protagonist, then indeed, 3rd person won't be as intense. I can't argue with that.

The fact that you see everything through the eyes of the protagonist, then indeed, 3rd person won't be as intense. I can't argue with that.
In my opinion and on the assumption that most of the game is based on this "principle" it would be really weird to play 3rd person during the game.
And conversely I couldn't play as Geralt, as Arthur Morgan or as Shepard in first person (I tried for Arthur, but I must admit, it's not great at all).
So it depends on the games and/or the characters.

So....the only thing I will say on this topic is that some people don't appear to be aware there is a 'photo mode'.

....but to be fair, I wish it wasn't disabled in certain circumstances (like when you are about to sleep and so on) :)

So....the only thing I will say on this topic is that some people don't appear to be aware there is a 'photo mode'.

....but to be fair, I wish it wasn't disabled in certain circumstances (like when you are about to sleep and so on)
To be also fair, "photo mode" and 3rd person view are not the same things at all. I'm not sure those who absolutely wanted a 3rd person view would say "oh not so bad, there's still photo mode !" :)

To be also fair, "photo mode" and 3rd person view are not the same things at all. I'm not sure those who absolutely wanted a 3rd person view would say "oh not so bad, there's still photo mode !" :)

:) Ofcourse not, but some of the complaints I read (before I stopped:) ) were 'but what's the point of character customization when we can't see him/her!'.....and thus 'photo mode':)

:) Ofcourse not, but some of the complaints I read (before I stopped:) ) were 'but what's the point of character customization when we can't see him/her!'.....and thus 'photo mode':)
And there's also an inventory screen, I'm sure no one missed that.
But along with photomode you'll be ripped right out of the gameplay, so for many it just doesn't cut it.

Like @superdemus , I don't think it would be impossible to create the whole 3rd person option. Probably A LOT of work and money with designing a separate set of all story and side missions (with all those specific animations, environment interaction, hiring actors for motion capture again etc.), but to me it would actually be a very fascinating approach, to have two possibilities to play the game: one through V's eyes and one resembling an interactive movie. Second one less "personal", true, but still delivering emotional experiences - we can feel emotions of story character in movies, can't we? I also got emotional in Witcher games, Mass Effect for example.
Now, will they ever decide to implement 3rd person? Seriously doubt that.
FPP, although a bit clanky, is really nice in this game though!

I still maintain this is a endless argument that seems to span so many games, i cant wait for aliens fireteam now and see same arguments there to.

I completed game in 1st person np, yes i would have preferred 3rd person but heho . I still think rdr2 had it right in leaving the player to choose there view, as for immersion and effect in story i think a well written and quality characters are more important than a point of view, id love to see the choice here but unless some mega update down the line i cant see it worth the effort, maybe for a future sequel sure.

Nothing freaks me out in this game more than my shadow its like a monster from hell

I still think rdr2 had it right in leaving the player to choose there view
For me it mostly depends on the gameplay and it's easier to add a first person view in a game where the gameplay is intended for the 3rd person.

In RDR2, you have the choice, but the first person view is not very good 'cause the gameplay is intented to be for the 3th person view. We feel too much the heaviness of character and it's just "good" for looting (for me at least). But it's relatively "easy" to add this first person view.

Conversely in Cyberpunk, the gameplay is intended for the first person and it seems really difficult to render it "good" in the 3rd person.
If we take the example of the "slide" (surprisingly almost the same as in BD3), it seems very very difficult to convert it into 3rd person view (even more so if your character slides on asphalt, in shorts et by dry weather). In the 1st person, it can be "forgotten".

For me, it was better not to add 3rd person view at all than to do something that will probably be really bad :)

I can't be sure this is the intention, but the first time I completed the game I chose the "worst" ending (I actually kind of like them all, one of the least popular other ones is my personal fave), and seeing my character from 3rd person POV for the first time, moving/speaking actually was a huge gut punch. It had a powerful effect.

After playing through the other endings it wasn't as pronounced, but it did occur to me that only happens once it's all out of your hands and for the first time you're just a spectator.

Given you can invest so much time and effort in your appearance more opportunities to see your character in action would be nice. Even if it was just an *option* during specific cutscenes. That might also be less work than trying to add a 3rd person view for the entire game. Kind of like how you can swap views on a braindance (but with less control, to make it simpler). Photo mode can be fun, but seeing your character actually move and make expressions is very different.

So I think making the game first person overall was the best decision, but it's also possible I'd feel more connected to V if I got to see them throughout the game, as opposed to just during the ending.

Last edited:
Just search for a game called

Vigilance 2099​

Obviously not same budget as cp2077 but its gives you the idea what could have been..

This has been done to death, but my perspective (which is correct :) ) is that neither TPP nor FPP are necessarily "more immersive" in and of themselves.

What it is, is that FPP is "more immersive" in situations where you're scared, because it mimics tunnel vision.

TPP, on the other hand, is more immersive in most other situations, because it mimics 3-d situational awareness (which is built up out of subtle environmental cues, particularly audio, and the constant saccading your eyes normally do, all feeding into an internal model in your brain, of you as a 3-d object in a 3-d world). If you think about it, your normal sense of "me" isn't that of a you being a viewscreen or a window, but (again) of a 3-d object situated in a 3-d world (although there's an interesting side-light related to what's been called "enlightenment" in this, but it's too far afield).

So really, ideally you want to be able to switch. If your character is in a situation where they would be scared, then FPP is the way to go - for example as you're inching through some dark, gloomy dungeon. But in most normal circumstances when you're out and about in the world, TPP really glues you to your character more.

Gonna be honest. If they did everything right there's no reason you couldn't have both. However, they took shortcuts. That's why V is broken. His/her animations are broken when viewing the projected shadow. Had CDPR used standard conventional means to get the same job done, V would mirror his/her first person representation 1-1. Modders have tried to implement this but the avatar in game is broken to begin with. Hopefully in time CDPR will correct this because it literally the only thing preventing an actual 3rd person view option.

Gonna be honest. If they did everything right there's no reason you couldn't have both. However, they took shortcuts. That's why V is broken. His/her animations are broken when viewing the projected shadow. Had CDPR used standard conventional means to get the same job done, V would mirror his/her first person representation 1-1. Modders have tried to implement this but the avatar in game is broken to begin with. Hopefully in time CDPR will correct this because it literally the only thing preventing an actual 3rd person view option.
If the solution is so simple then why has it never been done? I wonder what you are not considering....

They didn't do everything right. They decided to cut the expenses and focus only on first person. And apparently learn how to do it on the way.

Top Bottom