The lack of 3rd person view

+

Guest 3573786

First person was by NO MEANS more immersive. It actually broke my immersion more times than not. The romance scenes were HORRID in first person. Seriously, this was a time the game should have swapped to third person.

I've always felt the whole immersion thing was more of an excuse than anything, since immersion is purely subjective. I'm sure there are more objective reasons they chose it for (I've heard it mention performance on consoles would be even worse with third person), but it is what it is.

I honestly wish they would have forced players with first person when driving as well (if they had fixed the camera on all vehicles). I also wish they had removed most (if not all) fast travel computers in the game.
Driving in first person is absolute cancer and I'm glad CDPR recognized that. Half Life 2 is (next to W3) my favorite game of all time, but the second I step into that buggy... oh boy.

First person was by NO MEANS more immersive. It actually broke my immersion more times than not. The romance scenes were HORRID in first person. Seriously, this was a time the game should have swapped to third person.

My V's bald head shadow in the sun was a WTF moment.

If you are going to do first person, then you better have the dialogue be perfect(it wasn't). Examples how you spoke to Jackie on the elevator and how you speak to Jackie's mother after the incident. Seeing my characters emotion on her face sells what you are saying to another character. It connects you to the character making it more immersive.

Stop taking the easy way out and do the work and make it right...just saying.

Really? At least for me, the first person definitely is more immersive in what are supposed to be emotional/romantic moments, seeing the characters look towards the camera(me) seems to me more immersive than to have them look at a model representation of me. I don't need to see my players reaction in these cases because it should be the person behind the screen that's reacting to the scene.

That being said I am completely open to having both first person and third person ala gta v, it would at least force cdpr to work on the horrendous animation/shadows. Props to cdpr though I enjoy the movement system that follows a first person POV game INFINITELY more than the realistic ragdoll system of gtaV, with the caveat that some of the physics such as falling, jumping out of cars, crashing etc is much less impressive than gta v. This however is fixable i believe.

Last edited:
I dont think for a second being either first person or third increases immersion, immersion comes from the gameworld, how your character reacts with it, the story, the characters you meet and interact with, the players pov is just a part of the whole package.
Apart from mods for pc i cant see it coming in the single player game, Mayne for a online version far into the future might be 3rd person .
I said before the most immersive game i have played is rdr2 and that wss gripping but there was a toggle between 1p and 3p and i played whole game in 3p and , alien isolation was amazing as a 1p view its not everything if the game is right.
Id hate to have a 3p view if its poorly as it is now it works, take rdr2 when i dismount i have my pistols holstered, rifles slung over shoulder, dont matter in 1p view but in 3rd person it woild be awful to magic up a pistol or rifle from nowhere, unless its done right leave it alone

ESO added first person upon players' request. You telling me CDPR couldn't do the same and launch with both 1st and 3rd person?

Read that again please, you state they cut out third person view but they never announced it in first place. Of course they can integrate it into the game but they never said there will be one so no reason to complain

I am curious, do the lot of you go to everyt

Do you also drive up on the curb and sidewalks at 100 mph cause your vehicle to make you bobble around? If you stay on the road there is very little bobble. I do agree, that a forced 1pp view for vehicles would have been bad with the way some of the vehicles are. Some drive fine in 1pp as you are sitting in your seat properly
Make real steering, if you want me to stay on the road properly. Not instantly turn to the right. But than this starts turning into a driving simulator. The problem is: Games want to make the view that we see through the player, act like a camera. Our eyes and head do not act like a camera. It's why first person mode becomes less immersive to me. They have a really bad simulate brightness changing for our eyes. I'm like why? It's not accurate. And also causes the screwed up brightness problem in first person car mode.

...emotional/romantic moments, seeing the characters look towards the camera(me)...
I must admit those were nice moments in game. I didn't like the idea at first, but the moment between V and Judy came as a pleasant surprise.

The idea of increasing immersion by disabling third person view is a naive pseudo psychology. The game is losing lots of value by forcing to play in first person view, actually it makes the gamer feeling half blind and disoriented. Very bad decision.

Agreed the lack of third person cutscenes does not make it more immersive but does the excat opposite and instead creates a disconnect between the player and the character.

The one thing that made me pre-purchase was that CDPR announced it was First Person, it's the only true way to be 'the character'. Using third person in some parts makes sense but not in general play, being able to use the camera to 'look around' as some game allow IMO is a cheat if we are talking comparing to real life combat situations. I see immersion being mentioned here but it can not be that unless it's first person, immersion to me is losing myself within the game and character.

Watching them via their backside is not immersive, nor is driving a car from outside and behind it. What you are talking about here is a prefered play style, third person is not immersive nor natural but for some and I have no idea why it's a prefered way to play. I check if a game can be played in first person if it can not then it has a 90% chance I will not buy it but I must admit some i can have some fun with but never immersion.

Yea have a look around in a none combat situation if you really need to but for 'reality' in combat AND driving first person is the only way to go. I generally will not buy a game with only third person because even with a mouse and keypad the control is not there (for me that is) and I feel like I'm watching a film more than playing a game.

It's been designed as a part FPS and we all know that, well you would if you followed any of the interviews or video clips. I read only two and watched one video, it was clearly a first person game from day one.

Last edited:
Melee Combat in first person is shit. Plain and simple. Very few games have managed to it decently and CP is not one of them. I repeat. Melee in FFP is shit. Think Skyrim vs Dark Souls. 'Nough said.

Well TBH after playing either shooting or melee in first person ever since they started making these sort of games for early PC or you could call them very early consoles I've only played first person. Yea I can easily think Skyrim compared to Dark Souls, Skyrim feels and looks like I'm really fighting the enemy, things like Dark Souls (which I've only watched videos on) look awful in comparison.

You talking about how you have learnt to play, maybe even on a console? with a controller perhaps? For some strange reason they took some games into the third person, probably for that 'swing the camera around and look from every angle' type thing, yea? Wow that's really immersive, you know like really doing it which for me is immersion, there again I can shoot and use a bow as well, tried some sword play but to to a far lesser degree. You can not portray a real life action in third person perspective, it simply becomes a spectator sport that way, not real in the slightest.

But hey I don't care if they have third and first in the same game, then everyone is happy just wish they would do it to all games then i could go back and try to stick with Witcher 3 but with first person combat?

BTW: have you ever really done any of the things you reckon are 'Shit' in a game, try even some muck about sparring and see what it really looks like.

I'm good with 1st or 3rd person (3rd is better for me if i'm in cover but w/e)... my only thought on this topic is that i know a few ppl, spouse included, that JUST CAN'T PLAY 1st person without getting motion sickness despite all the most well-meaning, helpful tips and 'how-to' vids.'.
Devs., I understand your reasoning for 1st person -- selling the game to ppl who just can't play in 1st person... seems kinda reasonable too. ;)
Hm i have no problems with virtual sickness... The only game wouldn't play in 1st person would be Mirror's Edge.
I do wish i could play Cyberpunk 2077 in VR! ;)

Really? At least for me, the first person definitely is more immersive in what are supposed to be emotional/romantic moments, seeing the characters look towards the camera(me) seems to me more immersive than to have them look at a model representation of me. I don't need to see my players reaction in these cases because it should be the person behind the screen that's reacting to the scene.

That being said I am completely open to having both first person and third person ala gta v, it would at least force cdpr to work on the horrendous animation/shadows. Props to cdpr though I enjoy the movement system that follows a first person POV game INFINITELY more than the realistic ragdoll system of gtaV, with the caveat that some of the physics such as falling, jumping out of cars, crashing etc is much less impressive than gta v. This however is fixable i believe.

Yeah not for me. There were points when my character is going in for a kiss I was literally screaming too much into my face. The camera movement nearly made me sick. Up, down, in and out yeah no thanks. First person was horrible for me and broke my immersion the whole time.

Ultimately, the game should have options. We are all different people and we all experience things differently. So while the game might have felt more immersive to the devs in first person, first person broke my immersion many times. The only time was pretty ok in first person was in combat.

It's intentional to increase immersion but I'd prefer it. I think the game would have more comparisons to GTA which is what they're trying to avoid but I guess it's bound to happen so why not. Look at Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row and the Yakuza series.

No they just cut it so they don't need to bother to animate cut scenes. Instead your character is constantly sitting or standing while people do their thing.

No they just cut it so they don't need to bother to animate cut scenes. Instead your character is constantly sitting or standing while people do their thing.

I dont think you can assume for any reason that they dont have third person because they are lazy, and I think its disrespectful you think that of the devs, I'm fairly certain pretty early on it was announced that this game would be first person choice. And if that is the case, then it is purely a stylistic choice. It's cool that you would like third person, but to don't be so entitled as to think that every game must cater to your preferences (this goes for whoever thinks that Judy needs to be bi too...). Rather, play different games and find out which ones you enjoy!

Top Bottom