The lack of 3rd person view

+
Here is news, gunplay can be fun in 3rd person yo, i mean look end scene when you are in cyberspace and you talk with V she don't even have face animation her lips don't move, again why people who love 1st person don't want option to toggle 1st person or 3rd person in single player game ????

I have absolutely no issue with ALL games having a 1PP and 3PP (where applicable) it's the attitude that one is better than the other with aggressive. overtones which is wrong I'd agree with whoever said FFS can only really work for me in 1PP doesn't work for me in 3PP, we should all have our choice but stop rubbishing the other.

Valid reasons for not liking one or the other fair enough, being 'rude' about it to the players is just not needed.

I try 3PP sometimes it works for me but vary rarely, so I don't normally buy game with only 3PP but some if the best game made (according to friends who I game with) are in 3PP. I'm just bloody useless at it, got to be honest.

Should at least have the same as FO4 where if you stand still and idle after a while the camera start circling around you so you can get a good look at your clothes and or weapons.

Please at least add something like that also maybe in our own place add a full size mirror so you can see legs and feet and able to turn around like in inventory but in a mirror instead or something like that.

Am I just missing it or is FPS the only interface?

The only option for third person view is in the first of the player mods addressing this area via Nexus mods> It is a work in progress, and yet works pretty well as long as you do not use it in combat, crouching, or with vehicle use as it then has bugs. I am using it, and the modder (creator) is already improving it... as Mando says ' This is The Way'

Should at least have the same as FO4 where if you stand still and idle after a while the camera start circling around you so you can get a good look at your clothes and or weapons.

Please at least add something like that also maybe in our own place add a full size mirror so you can see legs and feet and able to turn around like in inventory but in a mirror instead or something like that.

Sorry not actually disagreeing but just a comment on needing to be able to see your character, seems to be a regular complaint. Things you would expect or it has, mirrors which are not that great (or clear) reflections that do not happen and the one from FO4 to be added as an idea which I do agree with.

Thing is, normally I get dressed, check how I look and say go to the local town. Do I look in shop windows to see what I look like, NO. Do I stop at every mirror I may see, NO. Do I even notice the reflections of me walking past a large window, sometimes.

So it's asking for something I'd say does not happen in real life apart from those who must see how good they think they look? So based on that and you can pop into Inventory anytime you like and have a decent look at you in your new clothes, where is the problem. I just don't get the need to see 'yourself' you don't in real life, what makes it so different in a game, or is this (and no disrespect intended to anyone at all) just all about posing. Most people I would hazard a guess do not constantly look at themselves, there again I'm not really worth looking at anymore IMO, used to be so I was told. ;)

That's why 1PP feels more real for me, because it is seeing the world (and yourself) as you do normally. When I used to competition shoot, all I can see is the gun, the target you try to block off everything else. Not my back with a cross hair which to me seems totally disconnected to the actual weapon. Can not say for sure what it's like with a gun as I've never, ever played 3PP using ballistic weapons.

Thing is, normally I get dressed, check how I look and say go to the local town. Do I look in shop windows to see what I look like, NO. Do I stop at every mirror I may see, NO. Do I even notice the reflections of me walking past a large window, sometimes.
Well, how nice then that we are just playing a game, in which you yourself are not present, but where you take over the control over a character. A character that screams to be seen *in-game by some players now and then.

*In-game > During actual gameplay. Not inventory screens, photomodes, some silly sci-fi mirror requiring an actual mirror viewing action or other methods that rips you right out of the gameplay.

PS: Speaking of silly sci-fi mirrors, yesterday I played a bit with the 3rd person mod (in it's current state). I switched to 3rd person when V was looking into the mirror at his/her appartment. The mod needed a split second to render V's head visible at the supposed headless model, while the head in the mirror was already there. Also if you look around, then V in the mirror moves his/her head, while the actual V doesn't. That confirms that there is some thruth in the theory that I presented in an older post:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...rd-person-view.11040872/page-27#post-12690752
There I explained the possibility of the game applying a mimicant mirrored model of V and a mirrored background to fake a mirror view to avoid seeing a headless V in the mirror, and that the game restricts the mirror viewing into an actual action to limit the viewrange into the mirror, so that the background in mirrorview can be confined to a certain volume.
To strengthen this theory: When V looks in the mirror in his/her appartement, then the window shutters close if they were still open, probably to avoid rendering a whole cityscape into the assumed faked mirrorview. The moment you stop viewing into the mirror, the window shutters suddenly open again. You don't need a mod to check that one out.

Last edited:
Well, how nice then that we are just playing a game, in which you yourself are not present, but where you take over the control over a character. A character that screams to be seen *in-game by some players now and then.

Ah there is your problem, well 2 but number I is so common I do sometimes, you (or I) can not truly speak for WE you can state your own viewpoint as being the same as everyone else's but not speak for them.

Number 2, Although I am very aware the desire for 3PP is strong, the game was released as intended, only 1PP which as you said is 'just playing a game' now I will use the 'we' in a sense. Those I know from threads such as this and game friends of over 20 years, 'we' play 1PP for one reason, imersion to BE the character not the 3PP which is to take control of a body fully shown on the screen.

TBH I have never heard anyone say they have actually heard their character scream to be seen, did you mean when your shot or hit? (Yes a joke) as I do not take this sort of discussion as seriously as you. It's discussion on preferences and I gave an example of how 'generally' in real life we do not look at ourselves all the time. 1PP allows (if the game is well made enough) to be in the game, not outside looking in, that's for many is the immersion people talk of, that's the most important aspect of any good game for some players.

How you achieve that immersion (or your immersion) is entirely up to how You play, I just gave an example of why 1PP makes it possible to become more immersed easier for me. Cheers

Not the first 2-5 minutes. It's that part of the game that I was referring to at my previous post.

derp..should have said "the rest of the game". :X
Post automatically merged:

1) because it's made as FP game!
2) because there is no decent 1st person rpg with FPS mechanics! (Fallout and Outer World doesn't counts for me at least)
3) cause CDPR would have to remake almost whole game to make it in 3rd !!!!!

1) So?
2) Destiny 1/2; Sword use or in Tower, Warframe, GTA5, Tomb Raider, Gears of War, The Division, Battlefront (old and remakes), SAINTS ROW (which clearly influenced some of the weapons of CP2077)
3) Not really. They only need to 'rig up' the player's model. Which, if the rumor of a CP2077 multiplayer is true. They're going to have to do anyways. Plus there's already a 3rd person mod out there; just don't aim with it! XD

And this is my main reason to want 3rd person:
What's the bloody point in giving us the ability to 'look cool' if the only time we see it is in Photo Mode or when looking in the mirror? Hell, Destiny gets this by putting you in 3rd person when you're in a 'non-combat zone' (ie Tower).

Last edited:
1) ...you (or I) can not truly speak for WE you can state your own viewpoint as being the same as everyone else's but not speak for them.
2) Number 2, Although I am very aware the desire for 3PP is strong, the game was released as intended, only 1PP which as you said is 'just playing a game' now I will use the 'we' in a sense. Those I know from threads such as this and game friends of over 20 years, 'we' play 1PP for one reason, imersion to BE the character not the 3PP which is to take control of a body fully shown on the screen.
3) TBH I have never heard anyone say they have actually heard their character scream to be seen, did you mean when your shot or hit? (Yes a joke) as I do not take this sort of discussion as seriously as you. It's discussion on preferences and I gave an example of how 'generally' in real life we do not look at ourselves all the time.
1) Um, no... no problem to be found. To be clear, I'm against generalizing myself, BUT ... I tend to speak for many when I'm confident that many are likeminded, and I always refer to them. Ultimately topics like these wouldn't exist if such likeminded people didn't exist.
Just don't mistake my argument with some people who just flat out speak for everyone, those are the ones who take it for granted that everyone should be likeminded.
2) Yep, just playing a game. I could say that I was once disappointed because this game could have been so much more, but I'm long past that. It's how this word "immersion" is conveniently (over)used the past few years by the game developers (and later by gamers in favor of 1st person) to both praise and limit this word to 1st person view. Such claims keep rubbing me in the wrong way. I'm aware it's like blasphemy when a bad word is said about the game developers at this forum, but that's the moment they started to sound like the latter person I've described at my first anwer in this post. I can only hope that this won't become a trend to future openworld (rpg) games. Now that's something to be concerned about, for some at least.
As for your friends, sure, but then again you know as wel as I that there are many who think otherwise.
3) Did you really just take the phrase about the character screaming literally, or was your mentioning of a joke referring to that? That part wasn't very clear to me, because it's not always as easy to understand someone's expression in the form of writing, just like how you try to estimate how serious I take this topic.
You could say that I've risen to some degree of seriousness, the reason why is described at my second answer in this post.
But the example you recited was another argument, (over)used many times in the past, that just 'screamed' for a reaction. I just couldn't resist, my bad.

Last edited:
What's the bloody point in giving us the ability to 'look cool' if the only time we see it is in Photo Mode or when looking in the mirror? Hell, Destiny gets this by putting you in 3rd person when you're in a 'non-combat zone' (ie Tower).

I suppose it's all about do you want to play the game as it is, a shooter of sorts, or worry about what you look like. Which TBH is the least reason I can think of for the benefit of 3PP. That's asking for a costume parade game, who can look the best which I must say IMO is the least important part of the game.

When you put the gear on in your Inventory you get a good look at what your characters 'cool' level is. Is there really a need that's beneficial to the game itself to see how you look all the time. Sorry I really can not understand this, unless it's like one of those 3PP games where 1PP is just totally impractical.

Yea they can add 3PP just as a mod team can (I knew they could before anyway) although the Dev doing it will be far better. A reason a little better than looking at yourself would justify the discussion point. Or be honest like those who get body mods and mini armour and then admit it's to watch the skimpy clothes on the females backside. BUT I did notice your a Male so that may not be the reason of course.

I wasn't a big fan of not having an option for TPP and I was open to CP2077 doing FPP because KCD did such a good job for an RPG in FPP. So I can definitely say, that I like this game in FPP, I don't need TPP especially with Photomode. So there Mods, I know you will like to know this! lol we do need a preview for trying on clothes and we need to see our reflections too.

It's how this word "immersion" is conveniently (over)used the past few years by the game developers (and later by gamers in favor of 1st person)

I really appreciate your reply, hence the red point (like?) but i think this 'immersion' thing really came from the Players of 1PP before the Dev's jumped on board. I've always (99%) played 1PP it's how I feel I'm 'IN' the game and that's important to me, immersion was my word to use from 25+ years ago and no Internet, never seen it from a Dev, just other like minded players.

This I believe came when Dev's caught up with their players and started to add 'immersion' or 'immersive' into their comments. Got to add I don't really read Dev stuff (or very little) it's all Hype and can never be truly believed. When I see a player say 'I felt 'immersed' I believe that, 1pp or 3pp. If a Dev's rambles on 'this is a totally immersive game' (do they say that?) I would just laugh TBH. They only see the game from a Dev's viewpoint which is tainted, like a MA sees their Mod 'differently' to a user.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...rd-person-view.11040872/page-27#post-12690752
There I explained the possibility of the game applying a mimicant mirrored model of V and a mirrored background to fake a mirror view to avoid seeing a headless V in the mirror, and that the game restricts the mirror viewing into an actual action to limit the viewrange into the mirror, so that the background in mirrorview can be confined to a certain volume.
To strengthen this theory: When V looks in the mirror in his/her appartement, then the window shutters close if they were still open, probably to avoid rendering a whole cityscape into the assumed faked mirrorview. The moment you stop viewing into the mirror, the window shutters suddenly open again. You don't need a mod to check that one out.
The mirror is a cut scene. It's all fakery. Think of the mirrors like the scene in Terminator 2. When they have Linda Hamilton's sister on the other side of the "mirror". To do the chip removal scene.

A reason a little better than looking at yourself would justify the discussion point.
I can see a much larger area around me. And since CD project didn't think to have companion AI's yell out "BEHIND YOU!" While characters flank behind. I wouldn't fall for it. I'd see them. Go try playing Overwatch, using Reinhardt. When he uses his shield. He goes into 3rd person. Now imagine playing the game. With his shield in first person only. You be fucked.

I really appreciate your reply, hence the red point (like?) but i think this 'immersion' thing really came from the Players of 1PP before the Dev's jumped on board. I've always (99%) played 1PP it's how I feel I'm 'IN' the game and that's important to me, immersion was my word to use from 25+ years ago and no Internet, never seen it from a Dev, just other like minded players.

This I believe came when Dev's caught up with their players and started to add 'immersion' or 'immersive' into their comments. Got to add I don't really read Dev stuff (or very little) it's all Hype and can never be truly believed. When I see a player say 'I felt 'immersed' I believe that, 1pp or 3pp. If a Dev's rambles on 'this is a totally immersive game' (do they say that?) I would just laugh TBH. They only see the game from a Dev's viewpoint which is tainted, like a MA sees their Mod 'differently' to a user.
But you can't deny that this term is being used a lot since the announcement of forced 1st person in CP2077. The developers started to use it as a reason (or excuse, but that's another debate) to strengthen their decision, later used en masse as an argument by other players. I've read that word way more during the past 2-3 years then I've read or heard it before in my whole life. Even to the point that it was my most hated word for the year 2018.
When you put the gear on in your Inventory you get a good look at what your characters 'cool' level is. Is there really a need that's beneficial to the game itself to see how you look all the time. Sorry I really can not understand this, unless it's like one of those 3PP games where 1PP is just totally impractical.
No, at least I don't think it's beneficial for the game at all. But does it need to be? The same goes for other things, like for example romance options. Some features in a game may be present just for the sake of entertainment. That's by the way the answer I had in mind at an older post.
Now take GTA series for example. I know, not a popular title to mention at this forum, but in my case it's not meant to directly compair it with CP2077. Now those games are filled with activities, distractions and all those small little details that add little to nothing to the actual game. But those are things that undoubtedly renders such games as 'whole' for many gamers. Hence the popularity for GTA.

Last edited:
But you can't deny that this term is being used a lot since the announcement of forced 1st person in CP2077.
Oh No I would never deny that, it was used exactly as you say, was just more of were it started. Was it the gamers who talked on immersion in games (years ago) or did the Dev's start it, I think it was the players.

Romance, TBH even if it's there I don't use it, I like realism but for me that goes further than needed, some would disagree I'm sure. But as you say it's additional entertainment which i can understand, if 3PP is looked on as additional entertainment as well I suppose I would have to accept that. The "I look good so I want to see it", makes me chuckle TBH.;)

I like 1PP others like 3PP, that's fine by me 100%, it's the this is better than that (which I do get involved in and should not as it's a never ending discussion) sort of like PvP, causes many an excited thread. He He

So basically, shall we say horses for courses and hopefully you can pick the horse you prefer. I'd prefer to see from the jockeys perspective, others from behind. It's only better for the person actually playing it and whatever they say it will not change the others viewpoint.

Skyrim was great for a decent look with the right texture mods, based on your own opinion that is. My Avatar is one of my Breton Warrior from Skyrim, can work well as a Dark Elf.

Also had a really good one for Oblivion which unfortunately only comes as a full on screen shot, so I'll leave that one out. It actually held first place for screen shot of the day for 3 days on one site, not that it matters but it was fun. Which is what it should all be about, the hard part actually is the Forums were a simple opinion good or bad can cause so much aggravation for some people. Shame really.

I can see a much larger area around me. And since CD project didn't think to have companion AI's yell out "BEHIND YOU!" While characters flank behind. I wouldn't fall for it. I'd see them. Go try playing Overwatch, using Reinhardt. When he uses his shield. He goes into 3rd person. Now imagine playing the game. With his shield in first person only. You be fucked.

Yes I fully see your point, except I would stick to 1PP because that is what I would really see, if you can not see behind you in a real battle/fight or anything else, how come it's so important in a game? THB I've died more times due to Fallout 76 having your "You just achieved this" with a picture spinning in the middle of the screen while your still fighting, then you are really F#####.

I will add even with playing Dead is Dead I would never use a 3PP camera advantage to check my surroundings, feels like cheating (not saying it is) but if I play to hunt I play as I would really hunt in real life, as an example.

Last edited:
It's intentional to increase immersion but I'd prefer it. I think the game would have more comparisons to GTA which is what they're trying to avoid but I guess it's bound to happen so why not. Look at Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row and the Yakuza series.

there was no way avoiding the comparisons to GTA with how they marketed the game.

While I don't mind the first person and to me it does help with immersion, granted they went a step beyond traditional first person, where you can see your arms, and legs, but it really is immersion breaking with RTX and you see NPCs and objects in reflections off windows and such but where you are suppose to be in the reflection you are simply not there.

I think it comes down to time and money. Adding 3rd perssn would mean adding a ton of different animation and collision which is a lot of cost for little benefit. Given the state of the game I kind of glad they didn't.

NPCs and objects in reflections off windows and such but where you are suppose to be in the reflection you are simply not there.

Yea as has been mentioned I find these things 'break' your game feel, no big flop of hair on my Shadow, hate that. Reflections are (or have been) shall we say odd in a few games. Fallout 4 in the intro talking to your new Nanny Bot (name is a mickey take) Brand new, bright and shiny, rough reflections of the room but no player character which leads me to believe having to produce a 'live' reflection of a custom made character is an issue.

Maybe it works in other games, would like to know if it does work and what in, so that's maybe the answer, it's just too much to produce a reflection of what could be 13 million different V's? Getting your name edited into all games dialogue I suppose would be a similar issue?

They announced in June 2018 that it would be FPP other than while driving and very rarely in some cutscenes. There are of course mirrors and the photomode to see V.

There is a photomode.
If photomode is your justification, then they might as well just do away with all clothing in the game. The entire point of having different style clothing is for you to actually see them for more than 30 seconds to take a screenshot in an entire gameplay.
However on the bright side, even if CDPR does not do anything that pretty much everyone wants, modders have already made a 3rd person mod which has issues, but they are continually improving on it.
This is an issue much like the NPC clothing issue (having both textures and meshes) that they failed to assign a body slot to it. Both of these would have been easily added to the game (greatly improving on it) before launch.

I like 1PP others like 3PP, that's fine by me 100%, it's the this is better than that (which I do get involved in and should not as it's a never ending discussion) sort of like PvP, causes many an excited thread. He He
That's a fact indeed. Unless a moderator suddenly closes this thread for some reason, I think it will live on for a while, long past the day that I decide to leave this topic for what it is and to move on.

Top Bottom