The lack of level scaling is ruining my immersion.

+
Well, It would be better if these high level quests only triggered when you're like 5 levels below theirs. This way, you could still go for them instantly, but it would be quite challenging to do so. I think I also picked up that particular quest with the
elf smith
and indeed I would've loved to see how the story unfolds, but nope, those
dwarves
are immortal apparently. It's even worse that the quest seemed fairly urgent, you even got an appointment with the guy, so it is kinda immersion-breaking I guess. I can live with it though.

Last edited:
Nothing should scale to your level. A lich, dragon or other supremely powerful creature should eat you for breakfast until you're sufficiently strong to deal with it. ...

This.
It makes the player deal with the world,
rather than the world revolving around the player.

I agree with OP...i sign every single word of his first post.
This is getting really ridiculous.

So far, the only issue I have had with enemy level is with guards in Novigrad. I attacked a guard there when I was maybe level 10. The guard took two swings of his sword and I was dead. I understand that guards should be fairly powerful, but that was ridiculous.

In that certain case, it seemed very unrealistic and was a bit disappointing. I would have preferred they were more skillful rather than insanely powerful.

I'm fine with quests being too high level, it is the opposite that ruins my immersion. Finding quests that are so low level that all you need to do is button mash to win.

Im sooo glad stuff dont scale, but maybe on the easiest difficulty that could be an option. I see the lvls of humans as their skill level, and that geralt cant kill everything with ease i see as an necessary sacrifice

Fuck scaling. It's what ruins games by making combat irrelevant. Where is the challenge if everything is scaled down to your level? Grow a pair and l2p.

I enjoy running around in the world because nothing is scaled to my level, I carve up some level 15 drowners with ease and run into (and away from) a level 29 vampire five minutes later. No fun in exploring the world if everything I run into is a 100% win situation.

I enjoy running around in the world because nothing is scaled to my level, I carve up some level 15 drowners with ease and run into (and away from) a level 29 vampire five minutes later. No fun in exploring the world if everything I run into is a 100% win situation.

Completely agree. It's the butt clenching "Oh crap, I shouldn't have done that!" bits that make games :D

yeah level scaling has always been meh to me, i like getting my ass kicked by a mob then having to come back later to show it whos boss! When i first experienced level scaling playing oblivion i didn't like it at all, just no point in actually leveling up.

I don't miss level scaling, but currently, the game has a really big flaew for me, due the fact, that you can nearly "faceroll" everything in the game at a certain level.

Currently, I'm level 32 and there is no challenge. I switched to the highest difficulty, but... nothing chaned. Enemies take more hits, Geralt less, but in the end, that's nothing. Cast a few Igni = enemy is dead. Cast Yrden = always hit the back of the enemy and laugh. I mean, I need to cast 2 Igni (with the damage due the fire) and a monster of the same level is dead with no resistance.

I'm nearly at the end of the story and I have no idea, what I would do after this. I don't like the idea to explore all these locations with low level enemies.

I want a NG+ option for the game. The highest level ist 70 , so, there would be enough space. With certain options, it should be a good solution. Locations, you've explored in the first run, will be explored in the second too. You only need to go there, if you do a quest or if you want to go there. Gear you have, will be transferred. There could be schemes to uprade witcher school sets to the current new game (for example: Tier 1, 2 and 3). They should have a "lower stat scaling", so you don't encounter the same problem you've in the first run.

Also, you could do things better. For example Gwent: Currently, you need to play the game in one way to get all cards. With a new game+ option, you have the chance to collect the last missing cards, without playing the whole session in one way.

Maybe, I'm too much spoiled by the Souls games, but I think, a new game + option would be great for Witcher 3.

Level scaling is super boring. There is literally no sense of threat, or fear when exploring. Also, it goes against the 'living breathing world' philosophy. Where the world isn't revolving around Geralt. he's just a part of it. Having everything scale around his level, would literally counteract that. This way is much superior, for what this game is, imo.

What it isn't, is a sandbox game. It's story-driven, with a set protaganist, and established characters. You know where to go if you want to run around taking screenshots of your modded hentai princess characters..

If you want everything handed to you on a silver platter, play on the easiest. Or play well. I've done quests 10-15 levels higher than mine. They're harder, not impossible. Instead of even trying, people just come here to whinge about everything lol.

I think that the best method to approach this issue would be a mix of level scaling and no scaling. I agree with the OP on the fact that it makes no sense that there can exist humans, dogs, wolves, drowners that can easily kill a level 15+ Witcher. It doesn't make ANY sense from a lore perspective. However, it doesn't make any sense either a system as the one encountered in Oblivion, where every encounter scaled to your level.

So, imo, the solution is to make a system that mixes both, depending on the type of encounter. For example simple creatures and other humans should scale to Geralt level but up to a point (i.e. no level 15 bandit, maximum for example 10) and even better if you can mix levels inside an encounter (for example you can make a high level human encounter but done in a way that a single human, maybe a champion, is against you; in that way it makes perfect sense because uniquely strong individuals always existed). For monsters the thing is the same, only that in this instance it is very easy to create non-scaling encounters with special creatures, while retaining some sort of scaling with common monster (again, up to a point).

While between no scaling and all scaling I still prefer, at that point, no scaling, a mix of the two would be the best of both worlds, imo. You just need to plan encounter dynamics well and it would be the best solution possible.

I played Oblivion and trust me, you DONT want level scaling.

You want immersion breaking? When you are lvl30 (with level scaling) imagine running into a group of angry peasants that for some reason could afford top-grade weapons and armor and fights like an elite mercenary group.

I don't miss level scaling, but currently, the game has a really big flaew for me, due the fact, that you can nearly "faceroll" everything in the game at a certain level.

Currently, I'm level 32 and there is no challenge. I switched to the highest difficulty, but... nothing chaned. Enemies take more hits, Geralt less, but in the end, that's nothing. Cast a few Igni = enemy is dead. Cast Yrden = always hit the back of the enemy and laugh. I mean, I need to cast 2 Igni (with the damage due the fire) and a monster of the same level is dead with no resistance.

I'm nearly at the end of the story and I have no idea, what I would do after this. I don't like the idea to explore all these locations with low level enemies.

I want a NG+ option for the game. The highest level ist 70 , so, there would be enough space. With certain options, it should be a good solution. Locations, you've explored in the first run, will be explored in the second too. You only need to go there, if you do a quest or if you want to go there. Gear you have, will be transferred. There could be schemes to uprade witcher school sets to the current new game (for example: Tier 1, 2 and 3). They should have a "lower stat scaling", so you don't encounter the same problem you've in the first run.

Also, you could do things better. For example Gwent: Currently, you need to play the game in one way to get all cards. With a new game+ option, you have the chance to collect the last missing cards, without playing the whole session in one way.

Maybe, I'm too much spoiled by the Souls games, but I think, a new game + option would be great for Witcher 3.

Totally agree with you on the game becoming easy rather quick even on the highest difficulty as you near a higher level. One shotting enemies just isn't fun in my opinion, encountering level 4 Drowners on my level 34 Geralt makes it rather boring to go back to lower level areas.

I don't want mobs to get down scaled as it removes the sense of progression and danger in my eyes but I would absolutely love it if enemies would scale up with your level making the game more of a challenge as you get to a higher level. I really hope modding is going to be a thing in the near future. I'd love a mod that makes the game more difficult.

Last edited:
Well there comes a problem when deciding "to level scale or not to level scale, that is the question"... its been unfortunately for the OP already answered. Its been unanimously decided that while NOT level scaling isn't perfect, as observed by the OP, its the lesser evils between level scaling and NOT level scaling. Sure you run into quests that are way above your level and you can't do yet, but personally I'd rather have that then say - all you see is wolves!!!! i've gained a few levels now i see BEARS!!! gained MORE levels, Now I see LIONS!!!!!! gained a few levels, now, there are DRAGONS flying in the skies!!! out of NOWHERE!!!. - yeah TOTAL immersion breaker right there. Its even worse than NOT being able to do a quest because your level.

What CDPR SHOULD have done, and im quite shocked they didnt, is have the quest trigger, then have the NPC react accordingly: say if you're WAY underleveled for the quest say something like "Oh dear boy, I seek someone far more scarier looking than you haha" if you're like 2 levels under : "I don't want to send you to an early grave my good man, those monsters are known to leave fatherless children, but you can go if you like" or SOMETHING along the lines that tell you just how you compare to the level of the quest.

Top Bottom