The Last of Us, Part II

+
And what those prove is, that yes; A game can stand on pure gameplay.
I don't think anyone argued that. Starting point of argument was that if ND isn't creating new form of gameplay, it means their work doesn't do anything for the media. And I can't agree with that precisely because games can be more than a mechanic. And if they are, it matters to push boundaries there too.
Judging from sensible, but less than satisfied reviews, I have gotten this feeling;

We as a species, have been telling stories, since the dawn of language. In that hundred thousand year tradition, certain conventions have emerged. Naughty Dog though that they were cleverer than the wisdom of eons.

They weren't.
Yet people weren't playing computer games for thousands of years. It's still pretty infant medium and people are trying to explore it one way or another. Storytelling is part of that.

Then I understand even less how the dude who wrote original TLOU could create such a mediocre history in TLOU2. Weird.
He wrote a pretty solid relationship in an apocalyptic setting and then stupidly decided to destroy that and force players to play a new character that obviously a lot of players were not going to like.

I don't think anyone argued that. Starting point of argument was that if ND isn't creating new form of gameplay, it means their work doesn't do anything for the media. And I can't agree with that precisely because games can be more than a mechanic. And if they are, it matters to push boundaries there too.

But here is the thing, if you removed the gameplay from a cinematic game like TLoU. You would end up with a 3D movie. Numerous such recuts of cinematic games exist on YouTube. They are quite enjoyable. Even when contrasted with the actual game.

And therein lies the problem. If you can take away the game from the game, without affecting it's enjoyability to a great extent, is it still a game?

Yet people weren't playing computer games for thousands of years. It's still pretty infant medium and people are trying to explore it one way or another. Storytelling is part of that.

For TLoU 1 and 2 the story is the selling point and given the virulent counter-reaction to part 2, ND clearly dropped the ball.

It would appear that what applies to the music industry also applies to the gaming industry. You can have one-hit-wonders.

Hi, if you're following the TLOU Part 2 events you know that game included a NPC that looks like Geralt but fat. IDK if this is a reference to Witcher or just a coincedence but he is hilarious

The article contains a spoiler about the ending.

In terms of animations, ND and rockstar are best in class. BY FAR.

I also think devs should focus more on animations if they want to increase the immersion in games. In particular, when it comes to FPP, except for few teams who tried to add something (thief 2014, dying light, RDR2 in FPP), we're still stuck to 2007 with "point, click, the item is in the inventory"...

I also think devs should focus more on animations if they want to increase the immersion in games. In particular, when it comes to FPP, except for few teams who tried to add something (thief 2014, dying light, RDR2 in FPP), we're still stuck to 2007 with "point, click, the item is in the inventory"...

The animations were amazing but, possibly because they were so good, the occasionally weird and freaky looking mouth movements (particularly Ellie) were quite jarring.

The greater the attempt at realism, the greater the chance for uncanny valley I guess.

As for pick up animations, I'm fine with them as long as they are quick. If I have a choice between instant pick up or animations that feel like they take up too much time, I'll go for the former every time.

How much is too much? Well, I haven't timed them or anything...maybe the ones in Crysis were ok. Been awhile since I played it.

Top Bottom