Now reading [books]

+
I'm just starting "The Song of Fire And Ice". Only problem is that I'm such a slow reader nowadays. Even my previous Beowulf project took ages to finish, and that book is not even that long.

I've been reading H.M.S. Surprise by Patrick O'Brian. I've read all the Hornblower stories and am finally working my way through the Aubrey/Maturin series.

Currently, if rather intermittently, reading The Age of Arthur: A History of the British Isles from 350 to 650, by John Morris.

So, I am currently reading 'Career of Evil' by Robert Gailbraith(J.K. Rowling), but i am multi-reading. Other books include 'His Dark Materials'...and many more to return to like The Witcher series(ones i have anyway) and others.

Finished reading Jo Nesbø's Panserhjerte (English title The Leopard, for whatever reason) last night, and even though I knew to expect high quality from Nesbø this particular novel was bril-li-ant. :D

Next up, Stephenie Meyer's The Chemist. After Twilight the only way is up, so I'm looking forward to reading the book.
Besides, its title really appeals to me. :p

Currently, if rather intermittently, reading The Age of Arthur: A History of the British Isles from 350 to 650, by John Morris.
If you're interested in Medieval history I could recommend you some of the best scholars' and dedicated researchers' books on the matter.

Just finished Byzantium and the Crusades by J.Harris. Next is Dogs of God by James Reston Jr.

Last edited:
If you're interested in Medieval history I could recommend you some of the best scholars' and dedicated researchers' books on the matter.
Thanks for the offer! Although I haven't quite the time to read anywhere as much now, I've a degree in Mediaeval Studies (with a focus on heroic literature and fantasy).

I've got the latest two novels in L.E. Modesitt's The Saga of Recluce. Highly recommend his work. Perhaps a bit on the dry side for some, but his world is fantastic.

Medieval England (and by extension, France) here. HYW as specialty.
Jolly good! I worked mostly with Anglo-Saxon, Norse Sagas, the Eddas, Old French Arthurian romances (and 'international' Arthurian literature as a whole), Middle High German heroics, and a broad survey of continental folklore. I started out in history, with attention to arms and armour, but eventually wandered off into the forest of myth, legend, and romance.

I came across this beautiful quote and I thought I might share it:

"The music of life would be mute if the chords of memory were snapped asunder." - Jerome K. Jerome

Finished The Sword of Destiny last night, going to start on Blood of Elves either tonight or tomorrow.
Shame the books are so short; even Lady of the Lake is less than 650 pages.

I like long stories/books -- when they're good.

Finished The Sword of Destiny last night, going to start on Blood of Elves either tonight or tomorrow.
Shame the books are so short; even Lady of the Lake is less than 650 pages.

I like long stories/books -- when they're good.

(In his best hypnotist's voice: )

...Wheel of Time...

One, continuous story across 14 novels. Characters are so well done.

If I ever find them in a library, I will read all 14 novels. But that's a big if, as the local libraries' collections are not that large.
I would've recommended Michael Moorkock's Eternal Champion series but great books are combined with... less good books.
But Corum and Hawkmoon are great.

Top Bottom