Now reading [books]

+
If I may, those are worth ordering.
I don't want to buy books when my bookshelf is literally full as it is. :p
Could barely fit everything after my latest purchase even though it was just one book. I've got books shelved "normally", I've got other books stacked on top of those, and yet more books stacked in front of the properly shelved ones.

I have a huge backlog on books because I haven't been in the mood for reading for a while, nor do I have had the time. But when I open one again, it'll be either Sartre's La Nausée or Nietzche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra (because they are both pretty short... not diving in the deep end right away after a long pause) that I nabbed from a fleemarket for a couple of euros.

...Wheel of Time...

One, continuous story across 14 novels. Characters are so well done.

It was pretty well done series (for how far I read it... close to the end, I suppose, but I did quit before Jordan died), but it kinda got stuck in doing nothing for way too long in the middle.

It was pretty well done series (for how far I read it... close to the end, I suppose, but I did quit before Jordan died), but it kinda got stuck in doing nothing for way too long in the middle.

Sanderson did a smash-up job finishing it. I read a long piece about his experience writing it. And, man, respect is definitely due to that guy for both saying, "Yes," to the project and seeing it through with quality.

Towards the very end, I feel like there's definitely something missing. More in the presentation than in the actual content. Obviously, he's trying to remain as close to Jordan's intent as he can (based on [scattered and conflicting] notes), but I can just tell that Jordan had a way of making it hit like a million pounds. (Sanderson's version only hits like 750,000 pounds. :))

After Tolkien, it's my all-time favorite fantasy piece. The entire story is genius, and if the human race does not immortalize this work, I will never speak to them again.

After Tolkien, it's my all-time favorite fantasy piece. The entire story is genius, and if the human race does not immortalize this work, I will never speak to them again.

I remember liking the story and characters quite a bit (apart from the boring parts in the middle), but I haven't properly read fantasy in about 20 years. I had the Wheel of Time there and Eddings' Belgarion and Sparhawk series' (two of both), and King's Dark Tower later on but that's about it.

Perhaps I'll revisit it at some point.

Here's a great little book I happened on:
"Trail of Lightning" by Rebecca Roanhorse (Indigenous American Author)
"Unhappy Future" based on climate disaster and Dine' (Navajo) mythology suddenly becoming very real again. Absolutely priceless portrayal of Coyote the Trickster!
I've already pre-ordered the next book in the trilogy.
Past that, right now I'm just bungling through a medieval/"dark" ages/late Roman republic binge of whatever decent novels our library offers in digital format.
Oh, of course there's "The Fall of Gondolin". I can't ever get enough Tolkien!

Years ago I was reading books everywhere and everything. But lets be honest it was before Netflix and phone games (at least for me). And that's my problem, do you have any idea how to go back to reading? I would love to read again The Witcher, and few otheres books but how to do that?

Years ago I was reading books everywhere and everything. But lets be honest it was before Netflix and phone games (at least for me). And that's my problem, do you have any idea how to go back to reading? I would love to read again The Witcher, and few otheres books but how to do that?
It's challenging, however, I find I get much more reading done when I ignore screen-based technology for at least a couple days on my own, or am otherwise forced to do so by external circumstances. Afterwards, I'm usually able to concentrate on written text much more easily. No guarantee this will work -- or would be convenient -- for others, of course, but it's worth a shot.

Nothing right now, but I'm thinking of starting a good sci-fi book and i'm currently undecided between Dan Simmon's Hyperion and Vernon Virge's Rainbow's End, i'm leaning more towards Rainbow's End cause of the cyberpunk theme. Still if anyone here read them and wants to share impressions, they are welcomed.

Last edited:
My favorite Dan Simmons novels are Ilium and Olympos. Because I'm a Shakespeare nut. And, I love Greek mythology. And, theories of quantum physics. Don't see the connection? Read the novels! :D

I actually have two books that I am in the process of reading right now, but one has been put on the back burner.
The one I am actively reading is the first part of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I'm going to have a hard time hunting down all the 20+ parts of the series; it'll take some juggling between libraries.

I've read about a third of the book so far, and it's awesome. :D

(The other book doesn't even have an English translation, so I'm not going to mention it since most likely no one would recognize it if I did. :p )

...Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series...

Trumpets / fireworks / dance of joy (obviously [:p]).

For anyone else who wants to read these, New Spring is not actually a part of the core story. That was kind of a prequel / spin-off that was produced based on leftover notes. Personally, I would read it as an aside. I feel it spoils the characters of Lan and Moiraine if they're introduced like that.

I'm in the process of finishing a book about the filming of the first Blade Runner. (What a mess that production was. Holy schnikies.)

Currently reading the fictional history of the Targaryen's in "Blood and Fire." Good stuff if your into A Song of Ice and Fire lore.

Sweet Sunday is a great book dealing about political issues in the 1960s and its about a detective who tracks down kids who escaped to Canada to avoid the raffle draw to send them to Vietnam, for a price of course. After chasing one punk all the way to Toronto, when he returns to New York everything has changed, and he finds himself drawn to his own family mysteries.

Got the second and third books in the Wheel of Time series, so I will be starting the second part of "The Eye of the World" tonight.

The Finnish translations split each book into two novels, meaning the first novel I read was the first half of "The Eye of the World".

Got the second and third books in the Wheel of Time series, so I will be starting the second part of "The Eye of the World" tonight.

The Finnish translations split each book into two novels, meaning the first novel I read was the first half of "The Eye of the World".

What did you think of Eye of the World?

Top Bottom