Now reading [books]

+
I've not read that particular novel, but what I have read from King has been excellent. "Duma Key" is even a favourite of mine, even though it never seems to lose its horror factor no matter how many times I read it. "Doctor Sleep" is even creepier but still great.

(I'm not reading anything at the moment because I'd like something new but can't go to the library. Considering re-re-re-re-reading the Hitchhiker's trilogy.)

Last edited:
Just started The Gods Themselves by Azimov. That's the first novel of his that I am reading, and I've only read a dozen or two of pages, but damn that's good. I'm a linguist-translator myself (that's my education, at least), and deciphering an unknown language (from another universe, apparently) and means to do so; now I haven't worked with dead or lost languages myself, but from what I've been told during my studies, I can tell that stuff's written in those chapters is pretty accurate: a starting point, which can be a similar language, for example, is one of the essentials in translating something unknown, and without that reference or resemblance in any neighboring languages, it can be pretty close to impossible to understand the text. Not to mention that the language described in the book belong to - I guess - a civilization from a parallel universe.

The book I am reading is actually a short story collection with a novel in the end of it. Most of the short stories are translated by different people, and the book is from 1991, when good literary (or at least literary sci-fi) translators weren't as abundant, which does impact the quality of those translation (I can see a lot of English style and syntax put into Russian shell, which never feels right); reading the novel, though, feels really different, as if the author himself has improved his skills... immensely. That might be because of the translator, too, though, but it feels great to read something that feels much more well-written.

I like Azimov, really. I don't always see what he means in his works, but I always have that feeling I had as a kid, when I first read some quality sci-fi books. It feels so... accurate? I mean, sci-fi in literature is mostly a tool that an author can use to highlight or exaggerate something they're trying to show us about the modern or upcoming problems, and I could see exactly that in the ends of his short stories - a culmination that casts a massive shadow over the sci-fi elements of the story, leaving the idea to think in the end.

I may have mediocre taste, though. Still, feels great.

My kids got me "The Last Wish" for Xmas last year. I've finished the book and since we're gonna enter into a lock down tomorrow for a month, I'm starting on "Sword of Destiny".

Currently reading The Name of the Wind by Partick Rothfuss for the 3rd time, one of my favorite books i think. Just finsihed the Withernight Trilogy by Katherine Arden which i liked very much.

Not a huge Stephen King fan, but this is a good book. (Terrible film...but I'd argue you can't really do this one as a film.)

King's works tend to be too expansive to work well on the screen, and that's true of all of the adaptation of his works. The Stand, even though it lasted... I don't remember, 6 or 8 hours, still had to cut corners quite radically and due to the time it was made, it had to be tidied up from the books violence (which King didn't like). There's a new 10 episode series being made as we speak, though. Perhaps it's better than the last one.

King is a weird writer in that he's not very consistent qualitywise. At his best he's brilliant and at his worst he's absolutely terrible. Perhaps it's due to how much he writes, I dunno. You should definitely try some his more reknowned works, if you haven't.

The value of the myth is that it takes all the things we know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by ‘the veil of familiarity.’ The child enjoys his cold meat, otherwise dull to him, by pretending it is buffalo, just killed with his own bow and arrow. And the child is wise. The real meat comes back to him more savory for having been dipped in a story…by putting bread, gold, horse, apple, or the very roads into a myth, we do not retreat from reality: we rediscover it.

C. S. Lewis

Currently rereading the Sprawl trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive) in prep for playing Cyberpunk 2077 and marveling how these novels are still way ahead of their time.

Finished with Blood of Elves, now starting Time of Contempt.

I loved how the relationship between Ciri and Yenn developed in the last chapter if Blood of Elves, there was even an occasion (slip of the tongue maybe?) where Yenn referred to Ciri as "daughter".

Finished with Blood of Elves, now starting Time of Contempt.

I loved how the relationship between Ciri and Yenn developed in the last chapter if Blood of Elves, there was even an occasion (slip of the tongue maybe?) where Yenn referred to Ciri as "daughter".
Yes, I agree, that was great character building, the character building with the relationship with Triss and Ciri is funny and great as well.
Post automatically merged:

Currently have read ;
  1. The Last Wish
  2. Sword of Destiny
  3. Season of Storms
  4. Blood of Elves
  5. Time of Contempt
  6. Baptism of Fire
  7. The Tower of the Swallow
Now reading;
8. The Lady of the lake (almost finished with it)

The Escape by David Baldacci.

Not far in yet, but Baldacci's novels have never disappointed so I'm sure this one won't either.

Infinite Love Is The Only Truth: Everything Else Is An Illusion by David Icke.

Synapse:

Everything Else is Illusion Quite simply, the cutting edge just moved! Never before has a book explained with such clarity why 'physical' reality is merely an illusion that only exists in our brain. Fantastic? Sure it is. But David Icke's information, presented in a way that everyone can understand, is a life-changing exposure of both the illusion we believe to be 'real' and the way this illusion is generated and manipulated...

Great book.

I just started Hemispheres written by Mark Everglade. I haven't read enough to give an opinion yet but I would have started before if that fucking virus hasn't kept me so busy for the last couple of months.

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. It's been a while and it's just as good as I remember. If you haven't read it you really should. This book was a huge influence on William Gibson when writing Neuromancer.

Read my first fantasy novel at 11, and almost 40 years later it is pretty much still the only genre I read.. Always thought the definition of a good book is one you would pick up again and re-read. There are just so many books worth your attention its difficult to whittle it down, so just a few off the top of my head

Personal favorites

Anything by David Gemmell
Ari Marmell Conqueror series and Goblin corps - bad guys as the heroes for a change
Jim C. Hines - Jig the goblin series - laugh out loud funny
Robert Lynn Asprin - The "Myth" series (and also the Phules company series - set in space but equally readable and funny)

A little darker (maybe a lot)

Any of Joe Abercrombie's novels are well worth your time
Brian Staveley - The Unhewn throne series

And for anyone looking for a series that will take more than a few weeks to burn through - theres always the Wheel of Time series. I was warned when I first picked up book one, that it takes time and patience, as the first novel is in all honesty not great...BUT...once you get through it the following books are excellent, and between 6 and 900 pages per novel, and 14 of them (plus a prequel and two add ons), they will keep you going for some time.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. Currently on book 7. Good fantasy read.

The Escape by David Baldacci.
Finished it today, and it sure did not disappoint. A story doesn't get much more gripping than this was. Baldacci really is a master.

Next up is "The Mitford Murders" by Jessica Fellowes.
More crime. Definitely one of my favourite genres, probably tied for #1 with fantasy. :p

Finished it today, and it sure did not disappoint. A story doesn't get much more gripping than this was. Baldacci really is a master.

Next up is "The Mitford Murders" by Jessica Fellowes.
More crime. Definitely one of my favourite genres, probably tied for #1 with fantasy. :p

Have you read any of Louise Penny's novels. Great stuff. My favorite genre after SF/Fantasy

Top Bottom