Now reading [books]

+
I'm currently reading a polish book 'Wlam sie do mozgu' (break into the brain) by Radoslaw Kotarski.

It is about how today's teaching is meaningless and outdated. On the other hand, in Scandinavia they have the best students because their ways are completely different. He describes what European are doing wrong and what are the ways to learn everything more effectively, not only in school but he means also languages for example. He himself learned communicative Dutch in half a year before writing this book.

Reading one I missed in uni. Take Back Plenty by Colin Greenland. A fantastic novel.

Started Burning Chrome recently, also read two books about Lemmy (the coolest musician ever).

Always read comics too, a must. Doing 80s X-Men, as well as keeping up with Savage Dragon and Judge Dredd.

Just read The List of Things That Will Not Change, by Rebecca Stead, for coursework I'm teaching. I normally can't stand youth literature, but this was fantastic. Not a single part felt like it was "written for kids". Just a wonderful celebration of growing up and learning to deal with things that are not easy at all.

Definitely recommend if you have a reader between 10-13.

On top of my library are my most beloved classical books. One very popular book in Germany is "Steppenwolf" from Hermann Hesse, which I recommend (I wonder if it's popular in countries outside of Europe) There's also an English version of the book with the same title, so language cannot stop you from reading it ;)

Last edited:
The Sandman

Missed out on the first run by a few issues, so never picked it up myself. A mate had them back in the day...I read a handful & it didn't really grab me, so I didn't bother (had quite a few titles on standing order then & couldn't justify the $ for another). I regret that now. Great stuff.

Guest 4419218

I read a lot as I am a student who studies philology. I am very interested in books. Now I am reading "The Human Comedy" by William Saroyan. More precisely, I reread. How I dream of one day becoming a writer and writing something of my own .. In general, I would advise you to be careful in grammar, as being a literate person is more comfortable. I use different helper sites to remind myself of some rules or something else. It's comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:
The English translation for Sapkowski's first book in the Hussite Trilogy, The Tower of Fools, is out today. From what I understand, he considers this to be his best work, so I expect good things from it. Picked up the e-book so I'll be giving that a read tonight.

Guest 4419218

Welcome aboard! I dabble in philology and etymology, myself, though only as hobbies.

Thank you, and I am getting an education as a philologist-translator. You said that you are fond of etymology, and in what language are you focused and what attracts you to this?

The English translation for Sapkowski's first book in the Hussite Trilogy, The Tower of Fools, is out today. From what I understand, he considers this to be his best work, so I expect good things from it. Picked up the e-book so I'll be giving that a read tonight.

This trilogy is very, very good - and quite accurate, historically speaking.

You said that you are fond of etymology, and in what language are you focused and what attracts you to this?
Primarily modern English, but I also read in German, French, Old Norse, Anglo-Saxon, and a bit of Latin. I enjoy tracing the roots of words, seeing where they lead, discovering parallel lines of development in kin languages (such as German and English), and shifts in meanings.

I'm currently reading Whipping Girl by Julia Serano. It's a trans woman's take on sexuality and gender, and the perception of society of transgender people. While she makes excellent points about all of this, her writing style is very much a product of academia and it's a big of a slog to get through. If you can get through it however, it's quite eye opening just how much society takes gender for granted, and how hard it can be for those of us who buck from the norm.

Reading through Neuromancer again for the 12th time. I don't know I just love the book, and every time I finish it I wish Cyberpunk 2077 was out... Plus I end up watching Blade Runner for the 100th + time.. Man December can't come soon enough..

Top Bottom