Now reading [books]

+
University has been neglected recently in favor of The Witcher. I've finished a quarter of Baptism of Fire, and I'm having a hard time putting it down. Time of Contempt was a fun read with a lot of political focus, but the more adventure-oriented BoF is a welcome change, as well as spending more time with Geralt.

My feelings and impressions so far:
The coup attempt in the island of Thanedd was cool. I had this morbid, masochistic fascination as I read how Geralt had his ass handed to him by Vilgefortz - you're so used to reading how Geralt is unmatched, and suddenly enters this cocky superstar and takes our witcher back to preschool. It was a harsh reminder that Geralt isn't invincible, let alone immortal, and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Vilgefortz, as well as Geralt's injuries. I remember in the first Witcher game, when you finally meet the errant witcher Berengar in chapter 4, he mentions something about Geralt's injuries. It's fun, now, to know what event he's referring to. Also, it was fun following Ciri in the Frying Pan, as well as seeing her join the Rats - yet another arc that I'm eager to see develop, as well as the consequences of what happened to her magic in the desert, when she played with fire.

Sometimes I have a bit of difficulty following all the different characters and allegiances (the mages, and the different Nilfgaardians), but it's nothing major, and I'm certain it was the same when I originally read A Song of Ice and Fire. Also, I would've liked for there to be a map attached to the book, because too often I seek maps on the internet to understand where the mentioned locations are. Again, a minor issue.

The thing I feel is the greatest "miss" at the moment is Nilfgaard. At first, it felt as if this conflict between Nilfgaard and the northern kingdoms had the potential of being a very nicely-done "grey" war, without a clear good and evil: Nilfgaard, on one hand, is a conquering empire, and on the other hand it seems to bring stability and economical prosperity to its lands, as well as freedom for all races. The northern kingdoms, on one hand, are the independent lands and underdogs against the mighty empire, which instinctively makes you root for them, yet on the other hand they seem quite venomously racist. I think keeping the impression of Nilfgaard as an "Enlightened Conqueror" would've made the conflict much more ambiguous and interesting. But the more I read, the more Nilfgaard is coming off as a cruel and merciless empire, willing to go to any lengths for its goals, leaving in its wake scorched earth and thousands of massacred innocents. It's not that the northern kingdoms are suddenly a noble lot, but Nilfgaard - at this point in my read - is coming off as a much greater evil. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, far from it.

It's an interesting journey for me, since I know from the first game that the war will lead to an epic and decisive battle at Brenna, and on the micro scale it ends with Yennefer, Geralt and Ciri in Rivia, while the first two "die". However, though I'm aware of these two major events taking place somewhere in the future and near the end, my understanding of them is still very vague, and it's still fun to see how the story leads to them.

Other than reading 5 academic papers / texts every day, I've read Childhood's End by Arthur Clark and I am reading the Ruin of Kasch by Roberto Calasso.

Just finished Tower of the Swallow. Left with a "dafuq just happened?" feeling.

Starting tomorrow, I'll begin the last part of my journey with the Witcher book series, and I'm excited.

Things are pretty confusing at this point, so I'll articulate just a few of my thoughts and feelings. I have a couple of "technical" gripes with the book. First, I just want to get this off my chest - I don't like how often Sapkowski uses the single-line style, for what I consider to be a bit of an excessive attempt to dramatize things. Additionally, at times the timeline became very confusing and hard to follow, with the amount of jumping between characters and their frequent flashbacks.

As for the plot - Yennefer is in some deep shit :( Also, poor Geralt's journey feels as if it was for naught, seeing as the druids burned his only known source of information. Btw, I'm glad he was slightly more mature in this book, because in Baptism of Fire he was acting like a little bitch throughout most of their adventure. And lastly... what an ending! That scene on the lake... mm-mm-mmh! Honestly, I wonder at times whether the franchise should have been titled "Witcheress", with the games having us play Ciri in her early 20s.

Oh. And I have no clue what the hell happened in those last 3 pages, inside the Tower. :troll:

Finally cracked open me first Thomas Hardy book, had them sitting on me shelf for twenty years and just never got round to 'em, quite good prose.

Starting tomorrow, I'll begin the last part of my journey with the Witcher book series, and I'm excited.

Things are pretty confusing at this point, so I'll articulate just a few of my thoughts and feelings. I have a couple of "technical" gripes with the book. First, I just want to get this off my chest - I don't like how often Sapkowski uses the single-line style, for what I consider to be a bit of an excessive attempt to dramatize things. Additionally, at times the timeline became very confusing and hard to follow, with the amount of jumping between characters and their frequent flashbacks.

As for the plot - Yennefer is in some deep shit :( Also, poor Geralt's journey feels as if it was for naught, seeing as the druids burned his only known source of information. Btw, I'm glad he was slightly more mature in this book, because in Baptism of Fire he was acting like a little bitch throughout most of their adventure. And lastly... what an ending! That scene on the lake... mm-mm-mmh! Honestly, I wonder at times whether the franchise should have been titled "Witcheress", with the games having us play Ciri in her early 20s.

Oh. And I have no clue what the hell happened in those last 3 pages, inside the Tower. :troll:
It's quite normal. But if you did not understand what happened in the 6th book I think you'll have a lot of questions at the end of the 7th book, trust me.
:wat:

About a quarter-way through Dennis Lehane's Live by Night and I love it so far. Strongly recommend it to any fans of the prohibition era.

About the scene at the lake, that you mention in the spoiler: i am not going to forget this, ever. It 's one of the best, strongest, most atmospheric scenes i 've read.

I 'm currently reading George Martin's A Dance with Dragons, book 2. It 's very good, so good that i can't help thinking about it the whole day, (and night: i even dreamed Dany, twice! ) But i want it to end too, because i have other books to read as well, and Ice and Fire kept me long enough.

I just finished the "The Fires of Heaven" by Jordan, there were some boring parts but I found it very interesting, especially in the final part!
Now I will read "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie!*.*

I just finished the "The Fires of Heaven" by Jordan, there were some boring parts but I found it very interesting, especially in the final part!
Now I will read "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie!*.*

I read the first couple of books of Abercrombie's series a while ago and got quite bored. Can't remember what exactly bothered me but it lacked something.
Would be nice to hear what you're thinking about it. :)

I read the first couple of books of Abercrombie's series a while ago and got quite bored. Can't remember what exactly bothered me but it lacked something.
Would be nice to hear what you're thinking about it. :)
I read just a few pages but I'm curious to see what will happen! I'll write surely some opinion!:D

Just finished the final entry in The Witcher series, Lady of the Lake. There's too much damned dust in this room... emotions are a mess. I'll try and phrase something coherent.

Wow.

The first half of the book was pretty slow. But maybe it didn't mesmerize me as much because I didn't realize until after finishing the book (!) and reading through Wikis, that Eredin is actually the King of the Wild Hunt. That was completely lost on me during the read. Suddenly everything takes a completely new perspective... especially in anticipation of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. After reading the books, I realize that this game's title alone hints at a story that has so much more at stake than what I could possibly imagine, before. This is truly a different emotional experience for those who read the books, and those who haven't. I'm still trying to digest this revelation.

There were 3 main events I was looking forward to. Geralt's final confrontation with Vilgefortz, and having played the first game, the battle of Brenna and Rivia's pogrom. And each one of those events left me breathless. I've been trying a few times to properly put my feelings into words here, and failed. Each one of these three events were as emotional and sad as they were well-written. This was the book where Sapkowski's grim reality was at its "finest", or most terrible more-like.

To begin with - I honestly wasn't expecting so many characters to die. Not to mention how they died. When Milva went down, it hurt, but I kind of thought it would end there. Cahir really caught me off guard. Maybe it had to do with me seeing fanart of Cahir and Ciri in the same picture, and coupled with the feelings towards her that he confessed to Geralt, I was expecting something more cheerful. And then he just... goes down. Like that. Without having a chance to really, properly talk with the girl that he had become obsessed with. They finally meet - and Bonhart kills him a few moments later, without much difficulty. Nothing epic. Nothing fancy. Just death. Angouleme didn't hurt as much (even though it was still hard), but Regis was another unpleasant surprise.

It's partly the thought of how their deeds won't be remembered and that if they will be remembered at all (say, Cahir), it will be in a bad way, and partly how unceremonious the deaths were, that make it so painful. That goes for the deaths of the 'heroes' of the battle at Brenna too, whether it was Marti dying to a jealous officer just a few weeks after the battle, or Rusty and Iola by a plague, or Aubry, just like that, without any decorative details, while trying to escape. It's so different from everything else - the heroes don't check out with some big bang. There's no Red Wedding to echo throughout the kingdoms and fill you with rage of treachery, no William Wallace dying for an ideal and screaming it on his lips in his last moments to fill you with new fire and hope. Just a pitchfork to the heart during a riot that the hero had nothing to do with. The wrong place at the wrong time, as simple and grey as that. Geralt accomplished his quest - but won't get to enjoy the achievement. Nor Yennefer, nor Ciri, with the Lodge on her heels.

Right now I can't phrase anything proper about the blind hatred and cruelty emphasized in the pogrom of the last 15 pages.

The emotions would have been very different if not for the games, since I know that Geralt is definitely alive, and Yennefer will also probably appear in W3. I can't imagine how this would have felt for people who read it in 1999 when it was published, believing this is how the journey ends. In a way, the games take away quite a bit of the emotional impact of the ending. But maybe they could match and recreate the tumult in their last installment. And now I'm going to rediscover W1, with the complete experience, picking up all the references to the books, and afterwards - finally, for the first time - play W2.

Basing games on a series of books allows for the most emotionally powerful experience in the gaming industry, that no other IP can achieve.

Just finished the final entry in The Witcher series, Lady of the Lake. There's too much damned dust in this room... emotions are a mess. I'll try and phrase something coherent.

Wow.

The first half of the book was pretty slow. But maybe it didn't mesmerize me as much because I didn't realize until after finishing the book (!) and reading through Wikis, that Eredin is actually the King of the Wild Hunt. That was completely lost on me during the read. Suddenly everything takes a completely new perspective... especially in anticipation of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. After reading the books, I realize that this game's title alone hints at a story that has so much more at stake than what I could possibly imagine, before. This is truly a different emotional experience for those who read the books, and those who haven't. I'm still trying to digest this revelation.

There were 3 main events I was looking forward to. Geralt's final confrontation with Vilgefortz, and having played the first game, the battle of Brenna and Rivia's pogrom. And each one of those events left me breathless. I've been trying a few times to properly put my feelings into words here, and failed. Each one of these three events were as emotional and sad as they were well-written. This was the book where Sapkowski's grim reality was at its "finest", or most terrible more-like.

To begin with - I honestly wasn't expecting so many characters to die. Not to mention how they died. When Milva went down, it hurt, but I kind of thought it would end there. Cahir really caught me off guard. Maybe it had to do with me seeing fanart of Cahir and Ciri in the same picture, and coupled with the feelings towards her that he confessed to Geralt, I was expecting something more cheerful. And then he just... goes down. Like that. Without having a chance to really, properly talk with the girl that he had become obsessed with. They finally meet - and Bonhart kills him a few moments later, without much difficulty. Nothing epic. Nothing fancy. Just death. Angouleme didn't hurt as much (even though it was still hard), but Regis was another unpleasant surprise.

It's partly the thought of how their deeds won't be remembered and that if they will be remembered at all (say, Cahir), it will be in a bad way, and partly how unceremonious the deaths were, that make it so painful. That goes for the deaths of the 'heroes' of the battle at Brenna too, whether it was Marti dying to a jealous officer just a few weeks after the battle, or Rusty and Iola by a plague, or Aubry, just like that, without any decorative details, while trying to escape. It's so different from everything else - the heroes don't check out with some big bang. There's no Red Wedding to echo throughout the kingdoms and fill you with rage of treachery, no William Wallace dying for an ideal and screaming it on his lips in his last moments to fill you with new fire and hope. Just a pitchfork to the heart during a riot that the hero had nothing to do with. The wrong place at the wrong time, as simple and grey as that. Geralt accomplished his quest - but won't get to enjoy the achievement. Nor Yennefer, nor Ciri, with the Lodge on her heels.

Right now I can't phrase anything proper about the blind hatred and cruelty emphasized in the pogrom of the last 15 pages.

The emotions would have been very different if not for the games, since I know that Geralt is definitely alive, and Yennefer will also probably appear in W3. I can't imagine how this would have felt for people who read it in 1999 when it was published, believing this is how the journey ends. In a way, the games take away quite a bit of the emotional impact of the ending. But maybe they could match and recreate the tumult in their last installment. And now I'm going to rediscover W1, with the complete experience, picking up all the references to the books, and afterwards - finally, for the first time - play W2.

Basing games on a series of books allows for the most emotionally powerful experience in the gaming industry, that no other IP can achieve.

Hey! Welcome to the club! :p

Wow.

Yeah, welcome, friend. I quote everything. That's a lot of feels, a lot.

My hype for The Witcher 3 has increased after I finished reading the 7th book.

I read all Witcher books 8 years ago (o_O) and now, I decided to refresh my memory. I was 15 years old back then, and I think that now I can look at some things differently.
And also, I'm preparing for threesome as Bloth would say. :)

Finished reading Before they are hanged by Joe Abercrombie, second book of The First Law trilogy.
I'll start Last argument of kings tomorrow, maybe.

R. I. P. Gabriel ("Gabo") García Márquez. One of the greatest tellers of tall tales, of these or any centuries, is now silent.

"Fiction was invented the day Jonas arrived home and told his wife that he was three days late because he had been swallowed by a whale."

My favorite Marquez is Love in the Time of Cholera

Cover (not published) by Amanda Cuenca

Thanks @Guy N'wah.

I saw on the news a few days ago he was sick but haven't followed anything since. It always makes me feel so sad when a great person dies. Each day many die and many more are born, but what are we doing to preserve the cultural and intellectual legacy of those who die, and what are we doing to contribute to it? The saddest part is not that all good writers will die, but that, the way things are heading, no one might be able to succeed them.

Thanks @Guy N'wah.

I saw on the news a few days ago he was sick but haven't followed anything since. It always makes me feel so sad when a great person dies. Each day many die and many more are born, but what are we doing to preserve the cultural and intellectual legacy of those who die, and what are we doing to contribute to it? The saddest part is not that all good writers will die, but that, the way things are heading, no one might be able to succeed them.

QFT.
Gabo was the greatest among the Latinamerican writers that "exploded" into our counsciousness during the ´60s "Boom" (others were the mexican carlos Fuentes and the Argentinian Cortázar).
My favourite of all his works is "100 years of solitude".

Some of the good movies that were made of his novels are "El coronel no tiene quien le escriba"(México) and "La cándida Eréndira"(Brazil).

R. I. P. Gabriel ("Gabo") García Márquez. One of the greatest tellers of tall tales, of these or any centuries, is now silent.

"Fiction was invented the day Jonas arrived home and told his wife that he was three days late because he had been swallowed by a whale."

My favorite Marquez is Love in the Time of Cholera

Cover (not published) by Amanda Cuenca

Every time i start writing for this man, i change my mind and delete everything. What can i say, except "thank you" ?

Top Bottom