Now reading [books]

+
Oh, and I know there is this series by Moorcook, which has a protagonist quite similar to Geralt, even in appearance, is it worth it?
You can say the contrary, Elric is born in the 60s, he and Geralt have in common only white hair and that "White Wolf" nickname, for the rest, origins, appearance and abilities, they have nothing to do with each other. Go for it if you want a pretty strong dark fantasy world.

Will read the 4th book asap.

:yes

Currently I am reading some italian comics as usual, and I'm continuing Berserk manga.

Last edited:
Elric weakling albino elf emperor sustain himself with drugs and stolen souls from his magic sword stormbringer, also greatest sorceror in world, he not a super mutant human like Geralt, nor orphan, nor good man.

Corum series better, both one and two. Hawkmoon good as well, both one and two. Moorcock best fantasy.

Ursula LeGuin Earthsea, Wizard of.

David Gemmel, Shannow trilogy and Drenai books.

Dragonlance Twins trilogy, thought be shit but pretty good.

Stephen Donaldson, Thomas Covenant, challenging and original.

I'm listening to the audiobook version of the novel the Assassin's Curse and god it's such a fun book. It's one of those books that has me smiling non-stop while I'm reading/listening to it. I wish I'd known about it sooner.

---------- Updated at 10:12 PM ----------

Reading The Brothers Karamazov, from Dostoyevsky.

my dad loves that book. He wanted to name me and my brother after the characters in it but my mum wouldn't let him.

Good thing too, since we're not remotely Russian.

my dad loves that book. He wanted to name me and my brother after the characters in it but my mum wouldn't let him.

Hehehe... Katerina or Agrafena? Could be Katya or Grusha [means pear in Russian and Polish btw], as well I guess :D

It's a classic and a masterpiece. It's one of those books I just assume everyone has read it.

Hehehe... Katerina or Agrafena? Could be Katya or Grusha [means pear in Russian and Polish btw], as well I guess :D

I know if I had been born a boy I'd have been named Dmitri. Which isn't so bad I guess, although it sounds terrible with my surname.

---------- Updated at 11:21 AM ----------

It's a classic and a masterpiece. It's one of those books I just assume everyone has read it.

Really? Not many people I know have read it. I've read a bit of Notes from Underground, but.... his writing is not my cup of tea. Still, I will probably try and read it at some point.

I know if I had been born a boy I'd have been named Dmitri. Which isn't so bad I guess, although it sounds terrible with my surname.

---------- Updated at 11:21 AM ----------

Really? Not many people I know have read it. I've read a bit of Notes from Underground, but.... his writing is not my cup of tea. Still, I will probably try and read it at some point.

PrincessDmitri doesn't really work for me.

I've been reading Earth Abides by George R. Stewart.

Post apocalyptic America but with an oddly peaceful world where nature has taken back over, it's good so far.

The Man on a Donkey, parts 1 and 2. An old, but quite amazing novel about the dissolution of the monasteries in England in 1536, and the Pilgrimage of Grace.

AHA! I was sure that there would be a thread like this :)

I'm in such a good mood right now, just ordered three books yesterday.

I have been reading Witcher series now and quite soon I'm starting Lady Of The Lake, which is the last (Finnish) translated book in that series. Season Of Storms will still have to wait :(

Yesterday me and my boyfriend started talking about ghost stories and he told me that there is new book about this subject, Aavetaloja ja ihmiskohtaloita. Sadly I don't know if it's written in English at all. It includes ghost stories from Finland and I'm crazy about ghost stories :)

While searching that book, I also bumped into new Harry Potter book! ??? Apparently it tells you a story with adult Harry Potter and his kids :D It's written in English and they say that English Potters are difficult to read, but I'm going to try. They also say that English Potters are way better than translated versions. We'll see how that ends up :D They also said that there isn't going to be anymore Harry Potter books and now this?

My third book was a story about Vlad Tepes and Dracula :) I also love vampires ;) It tells you about old Romanian folk lores, Vlad Tepes's story and history and how did those things ended up creating Dracula that we all know.

I'm so excited about those books and I really hope that those are as good as I think :) I just wish that there would be more time to read. Witcher 3 takes every free time I have and when I read when going to sleep, I can't read that many pages before I fall a sleep :D

Finally started The Dark Tower saga few days ago. :) I have a lot of time to read soon so a good opportunity to dive into such a long saga.

Also started Lady of the Lake on my native languange - that is Finnish - out of curiosity to see how it compares to translations of English versions. :)

Well, recently I haven't read anything from fantasy, concentrating on different genres. Few times a saw "serious" critics discussing about Michel Houllebecq books, whether he's a genius or just controversial performer or maybe controversial genius. Sounded like a good recommendtion for me. I' ve read "Atomics" and "submission" and well... Maybe I'm too stupid to see how brilliant this guy is, but in general I think that it would be better if he decided to go on therapy instead of writing books (I'm not saying that it was all bad, but I don't feel like read his another works) So yep, I decided that I need a rest from serious literaturę and gave a try to "Girl on the train". This book was advertised everywhere and, they are going to do a movie in Hollywood, so why not? I hoped for a good thriller, but gosh...assuming that polish translator wasn't incompent, it is so poorly written that I will never read anything from Paula Hawkins. Mystery itself wasn't captivating and characters are completely cliche. Hawkins is trying to do something simliar to Giliann Flynn, whose Dark places and Gone girl I really liked, but she plays in much lower league (and I don't think Flynn is exceptionally masterful writer - just good). So yep - disappoitments, disappoitments...btw Lead character of Girl on the train was described as "fat and unatractive", and they chose Emily Blunt to play her in movie....ohhh Hollywoowd :D

What's next?Soon I'm going to start reading "The kindly ones" by Jonathan Littell. I've always been intresed in WW2, and this supposed to be character study of the evil so...I really hope that all awards this guy received for this book are justfied, because it is around 1000 pages so I'll waste a lot of time otherwise

Last edited:
Finally started The Dark Tower saga few days ago. :) I have a lot of time to read soon so a good opportunity to dive into such a long saga.

Also started Lady of the Lake on my native languange - that is Finnish - out of curiosity to see how it compares to translations of English versions. :)

Congrats, that's a good series :) I assume that you mean Stephen King :D My all time favorite! And just few years back that series got a new book again. It's fun, that when you read other King's books, there are hints to the Dark Tower here and there. Also other minor hints to other books can be found in the several books.

And what comes about Finnish translated Witcher books, I like English better. Finnish Witcher just sounds so weird :D Although I have read only first and third book in English and rest have been written in Finnish.

---------- Updated at 11:30 PM ----------

Maybe I'm too stupid to see how brilliant this guy is...

I felt the same when I tried to read Silmarilion :D I really love The Hobbit and LOTR but I didn't have any clue what Silmarillion was telling about :D I started it three times and always gave up at the very beginning. Then I decided that I'm GOING to read it, and I did just that. After I was half way through the book, it started to make some sense :D

---------- Updated at 11:38 PM ----------

By the way... Who has read this? This was super cool book when we were kids :D It was quite popular here in 90's and I still have it ;) I like to read it time to time.

Finnish Witcher just sounds so weird

Hey,what's weird in that? Stereotype of Finnich quiet, introvert, etc. guy, fits Geralt perfectly. Much better than...Italian for example :D

felt the same when I tried to read Silmarilion I really love The Hobbit and LOTR but I didn't have any clue what Silmarillion was telling about I started it three times and always gave up at the very beginning. Then I decided that I'm GOING to read it, and I did just that. After I was half way through the book, it started to make some sense

I had hard times reading...Hobbit :D Really, this book is boring for me, and I wanted to give up. I thought that maybe it's the case when "Ok he's the legend of fantasy, inspired everyone, but it's not for me in XXI century", but my friend who's my fantasy/comic book personal encyclopedia kept saying -"it's better with every page, it's better with every book" And it was. :D Speaking about Silmarillion - I liked much more than Hobbit adn Fellowship of the Ring...probably bacause it was much darker

Last edited:
Hey,what's weird in that? Stereotype of Finnich quiet, introvert, etc. guy, fits Geralt perfectly. Much better than...Italian for example :D

Haha, very good point :D Very good indeed. Although I have heard that Finnish sounds a bit elvish to foreign ears, don't know if it's true or not :question:

Maybe it's because I learned to know English speaking Geralt during W2 and after that my first book was written in English. Then I jumped into Finnish books and it felt so strange :D

I assume that you mean Stephen King

Yeah, Stephen King indeed. :) It's been quite interesting thus far.

And what comes about Finnish translated Witcher books, I like English better. Finnish Witcher just sounds so weird

I thought I wouldn't like finnish translation, but in the end it actually is quite enjoyable. Normally I read all books on english and not finnish but when it comes to the quality of the translation comparing to english translation of the Witcher, my guess would be that finnish translation is closer to the original polish books, and characters for example doesn't lose that much during the translation, as it does in english. Finnish is also translated straight from the polish books, as english is from the german translations if i'm not mistaken. :) So that's why I'm interested to read and see for myself. Though I agree, Sapkowski's fantasy sounds funny at first in finnish. :)

Top Bottom