Now reading [books]

+
I feel the same way about the Starks too - way too honourable, way too good, way too naive.

Yup. Boring, through and through. I will say in the show Sean Bean did Ned justice and so did Michelle Fairley with Catelyn but the rest of them are so 2D-good its frustrating.

Both in the books and in the show Tywin and Olenna are so much more interesting.

Now, with Steinbeck, I'm almost through with the book and it's still boring

Yup. It's the worst, every character is flat and boring. Dull as dishwater rubbish, in my opinion.

Yep, Sean Bean and Michelle Fairley were awesome - couldn't stand Cat in the books but on the show? She's fantastic. I cried at the end of the Red Wedding because Fairley's acting was so amazingly good. Still can't watch her speech without crying my eyes out.
Agree on Tywin and Olenna, they are wonderful :) I also adored Oberyn. And I basically like all the Lannisters because they're so wonderfully messed up *g*

Steinbeck: Yep. The characters are boring, the story is boring, the setting is boring. The only scene that managed to really touch me was when one of the guys told an older guy that he no longer needed his old dog, that the dog was useless and should be shot. I really felt for the guy and his dog but that was about it. I don't really care what happens to the other characters; I'm pretty certain that the story won't end well for Lennie. As for the oh-so-wonderful friendship between Lennie and George: I fail to see it. All I see is a guy who's mentally handicapped and another guy who'd like to be rid of him but takes care of him as long as he can because he's not that a person. But deep down, I think, George doesn't want to take care of Lennie. I also don't believe for a second that he really wants to spend the rest of his life with Lennie. The worst part is that I can actually see what Steinbeck is getting at with both the story and it's title. I can see what he wants to accomplish. I just don't like it. Not one bit.

Guest 2091327

I like the Starks :(

In such a messed up world with backstabbers and plotters around every corner, it's nice to have some people who are more honest and "good". The fact they are getting had pretty hard is also a comment on the real world I think, where good guys tend to be left behind for the bastards with "sharp elbows" as we say over here.

Look forward to the next book, and hope we won't have to wait another 3 years.

Writing style definitely means a lot when reading books. I tried to read Marquis de Sade's Justine, because everyone said that it's so pervert and shocking book. I couldn't read much, no matter how hard I tried. It was written in so annoying style, that I only lost my nerves while trying to read it. Never reached the half way. Didn't get even close to that point.

I tried to read Marquis de Sade's Justine, because everyone said that it's so pervert and shocking book.

Sounds like a good recommendation for me too :D
Style is important of course, but sometimes it's good to force yourself through. For example I really don't like Huxley's style but Brand New World was no doubt worth reading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speaking about style, shock, etc. I finished Littell's Kindly ones a few weeks ago and I'm not sure whether I hated it or loved it. Main character is homosexual SS oficer, who has a doctorate in law. Littell gave readers us 1000 pages of evil's character study. How gay person can supprt nazi? How someone highly educated, quoting greatest philisphers and writers all the time, can participate in holocaust? It won't be a spoiler if I say that obviously there won't be any answers (clear answers at least). Writing style in this book is great, but I won't lie that there were scenes when it was just to much for me. Littell is balancing somwhere between great literaturę and cheap provocation. Anyway I don't regret this lecture, I would even recommend it for people who do not expect an easy reading.

Writing style definitely means a lot when reading books. I tried to read Marquis de Sade's Justine, because everyone said that it's so pervert and shocking book. I couldn't read much, no matter how hard I tried. It was written in so annoying style, that I only lost my nerves while trying to read it. Never reached the half way. Didn't get even close to that point.
That's because it's hard to read without stopping at every word leading to some kind of "perversion". I read this book years ago, in summer. Can't say it was the perfect book to enjoy my holiday time. :turned:

That's because it's hard to read without stopping at every word leading to some kind of "perversion". I read this book years ago, in summer. Can't say it was the perfect book to enjoy my holiday time. :turned:

I don't mind the pervert parts. That was the main reason I tried to read it :D Pervert and shocking, what a great way to sell books to me! Like mentioned earlier also by @toudis815.

That was more of the lord and god stuff that bothered me in it. It was written in such ways that I just couldn't handle it no matter how hard I tried. Although I can't remember it anymore so clearly, because like I said I never finished it and it was several years ago when I tried to read it.

So, I read the new Harry Potter And The Cursed Child. At first it was quite... weird... to read, because it was theatrical script. It was still entertaining experience. If you like Harry Potter books, it's worth reading. Although it didn't have that same magic as previous books had.

I finished that two weeks before Christmas and started to read Philosopher's Stone again while waiting for Santa bringing new books to me. After all those Potter video games and movies, returning to books felt like coming home. Definitely best way to experience Harry Potter.

Hooked up with Asimov's Foundation series, I'm reading Foundation's Edge at the moment, love the display of reasoning and social problems through the psychohistory principles.

I'm currently reading Bruce Springsteen's autobiography "Born to Run." It is really solid. If you're a fan of his, I recommend it.

Currently rifling through my brothers books.
Read a few of this series before, skipped a few for this one I believe.
Normally just read the codex's and rulebooks, which reminds me got the new one to read too.

I finished Season Of Storms in two days, and now I'm back to other books again.

Before that I finished the book Naming Jack The Ripper. Pretty interesting to read. Modern technology has quite impressive methods of investigating things.

Currently I'm reading the history of KISS, and I also have one Guns And Roses book waiting for it's turn. However, before jumping into the wold of G'N'R, I think I'm going to read Death By Halloween, as soon as I get it from the mail :)

I'm reading 'The Walk' Stephen king short story and have 'True Grit' under it in a pile on my drawers including Baseball prospectus 2017 and 100 tips for better betting.

I had a toilet last night and grabbed a random book from the shelf it was about applied mathematics with operations research.

90% of my library is Reference books on Betting, Physics, Math, Programming, Chess and fishing.
I have all, the main Pathfinder RPG books and many how to draw fantasy figures and worlds although I can't draw well at all.

I find it Really frustrating to Read as I'm dyslexic but one book I really enjoyed and managed to finish quite quick was 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy'.

Need to read more fiction but any distraction is like reading words on water in a bowl and someone flicks the bowl.

Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions (link) was recommended to me, so I decided to give it a read. Can't recall the last time I read something originally written in the 19th century!

Haven't gotten very far yet, but it sure seems like a good and intriguing read.

Got all the Witcher books in my native tongue (Finnish) including Season of Storms and been reading them all over again now. And I gotta say, even though I usually prefer English, the Finnish translations of these books are just a lot more vivid and colorful. The guy who translated them is very well versed in Polish literature and culture and even received some sort of culture award/decoration from the President of Poland for his work a few years back so that probably plays a big part of why the translations are so much better. :)

eskiMoe;n9827021 said:
And I gotta say, even though I usually prefer English, the Finnish translations of these books are just a lot more vivid and colorful.

Really? Hmm...

I guess I might give the Finnish translations a second read then, although the terminology sounds really weird after getting so used to the English version. :D

Now reading 1984. It's kinda out of genre I like but the book shows communism in way it partly was and it could be.

​​​​​​

Top Bottom