Now reading [books]

+
Blackrock said:
I'm currently reading Stanislaw Lem's Eden. It's an amazing book, which provides a fairly different take on science fiction and how humanity actually interacts with other, non-human, species. Before that I read a book on a similar topic, again from Lem titled The Invincible. And next...I dunno yet, maybe Solaris (from the same author)...the man really makes you open your eyes and wonder. Broadens one's horizons and all that....then again, which book doesn't to that? ;)
Yes, Lem is our National Tresure, lol. He is still so good to the point polish sci-fi suffers from the great shadow of Lem. As if whatever was written it would fall short in comparison; I suppose that frightens polish authors to tackle the genre. J. Dukaj is among the few that is up to the task...
Blackrock said:
Ι 'm finishing Susanna Clarke's "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell". A great novel about magic. A story where magic is like any other science, just a little more complicated. And the secret is, that humans have forgot what magic was in early years, so that's now (1800) is so complicated. It has very atmospheric scenes, nice ideas about magic, and a fine sense of humor. I really enjoyed this book.
Aye! Great novel! I liked the thing about the mirrors ;) and the worlds in-between lets say. Great read, but you have to get use to the narration which is slow at times and tend to wander the meanders...

genNighty said:
genNighty said:
The reality is tormenting me inbetween my readings of Zbieracz Burz
Gosh, I was waiting for it just after I red first tome. Unfortunately it wasn't a thick book and last only for one day :(Now I'm waiting for 4th tome of Pan Lodowego Ogrodu by Jarosław Grzędowicz.
I was somewhat underwhelmed by the ending...I felt it lacking after such a wonderful trip...

Finally they translated first witcher - book as Finnish, and (of course) I ordered it at the very moment it was published. Haven't got it yet but I hope that it's good.

Wenla said:
Finally they translated first witcher - book as Finnish, and (of course) I ordered it at the very moment it was published. Haven't got it yet but I hope that it's good.
Be sure to voice your opinion once you've red it!

Just got done with the Temeraire series (again), finished some stuff from the reign of Charles I, and am now starting on Gauntlgrym by Salvatore. It's Drizzt again, apparently it somehow ties into the NWN games.

Im reading Kurt Cobains (lead singer of Nirvana, my favourite band :D) biography written by Christopher Sandford, and its a very good read. I like a book that doesnt set out to make the subject either amazingly good or amazingly bad but tries to stay as unbiased as possible. still there doesnt seem that much good to write about him, apart from his music skills of course lol quite the different guy

Currently reading "Atlas Shrugged", Volume two by Rand, "Sputnik Sweetheart" by Haruki Murakami and "Lords and Ladies" by Terry Pratchett.Planning to reread the first four Witcher books and to read the other four after that starting the week after.

The Library (or 'Now reading...')

I just realized we have threads dedicated to all kinds of media. There's Playing Other Games, Now Listening, a thread on Movies & TV-shows.
But I discovered that there is none for books* and felt that had to change. There ought to be some people who still cherish the printed word. Especially with The Witcher being a Fantasy game based upon a series of books.

Here it is: Our Library. A place to discuss books and written stories, no matter if they are novels, short stories, poetry, dramatic plays, epic saga or non-fiction. A place to share what you are currently reading and a place to share your opinion. A place to promote Fan Fiction you have written or stumbled upon and liked. A place to look for recommendations and a place to make your taste in books known.

A place to praise a form of art and to prove that the pen is mightier than the sword.

To get things going, I'll commit to being a passionate reader of Fantasy literature. That includes High and Dark Fantasy as well as historical fiction. Among the favorites are The Lord of the Rings, A Song of Ice and Fire and, of course, Sapkowski's Geralt saga. If I feel like reading something funnier, there's nothing like Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.
I also greatly enjoyed Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series (well mostly, anyways) and both the Ulldart- and The Dwarves-series from German author Markus Heitz (don't know if he's known abroad).
Other than that, I'm a medival nut and read as much about it as I can. Mostly in magazines, but recently I started studying the Edda in a German translation by Wilhelm Jordan.

Feel free to comment on any of those or tell us about your current reading, favorites or recent discoveries. Go into some detail and the pros and cons, if you want - I merely tried to give several potential starting points without making the OP a lengthy mess. :)

*at least not one that has been active since April 2011 or was to be found via search function.

I'm currently reading Dune... Still trying to get through all the endless philosophy and trivial details, Just started reading The Prince Of Nothing First book, And trying to get my hands on The Sword by Deborah Chester (The Sword, the Ring, and the Chalice).

Hm. I started a lot of book recently. But the main book, wich I read mostly is the Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks. I started the Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin and the Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

The Last Wish (yes, I still didn't read it, its the last remaining book and my friend had it for aaaaages)
And Solomon's Ring, the prequel to the Bartimaeus trilogy.

Come on, there is not THAT much philosophy stuff in Dune... :)

Anyway, I´ve always enjoyed reading fantasy and science fiction literature, though I also love Russian classic writers, especially Dostojevskij and Tolstoj...

One of my favourites, besides that already mentioned here, is probably William King´s series about Gotrek and Felix from the world of Warhammer. Though it is very easy reading, it is fun at the same time. Another love of mine is well known Stephen King´s The Dark Tower series, along with every piece of work by Clive Barker, whether it is a horror story or an epic and magnificent fantasy as for example Weaveworld, Imajica, Tha Great and Secret Show with Everville, Abarat etc. Glen Cook´s Black company series is also very enjoyable, with untypical and very appealing characters (it was a recommendation from one of mine friends).

China Miéville´s books from the world of Bas Lag are one of mine all time favourites though. Especially The Perdido Street Station, but The Scar and also The Iron Council are definitely worth reading...
I´m currently reading his crime novel The City and the City, and so far I like it, but I have quite a long way till the end.

A couple of weeks ago I finish The Silmarillion. Its a great background for TLOR trilogy.

I got mixed feelings about this book. Some chapters are very interestings, others are pretty borring.
For example, it has pages and pages of geographics descriptions. That kind of things put me to sleep.

I finished Brian Greene, The Elegant Universe. It's about string theory and its potential to be a unifying theory for Life, the Universe, and Everything, or at least all of modern physics, anyway.

String theory is something that I really, really want to be true, and it makes me sad to see how impractical (or downright impossible) it is to prove, and how many logical fallacies have been accepted by string theorists as something they can pass off as evidence for it.

"What happened to the zombie at the String Theory convention?"
"Poor fellow starved to death."

We did used to have a "Now Reading" thread, and it went on for many, many pages. I'm not sure what happened to it, but it does exist!

Corylea said:
Found it! It's here: http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15075-now-reading-books/

So I didn't look back far enough.

We can stick to this one or you can add the posts from here minus OP to the other one and delete this one. It's your call. I just wanted one to exist. :)

Corylea said:
A couple of weeks ago I finish The Silmarillion. Its a great background for TLOR trilogy.

I got mixed feelings about this book. Some chapters are very interestings, others are pretty borring.
For example, it has pages and pages of geographics descriptions. That kind of things put me to sleep.

Congratulations on that! I started it several times, but could never finish it. It was always kind of exciting to read some background for Middle-Earth, but it just didn't suck me in.
Would you say it's worth the effort of 'working' through the boring parts for the overall experience? I might give it yet another try some time.

I think the book by itself don't worth the effort, unless you are a linguist like Tolkien or you are deep into ancient mitology.

If you are planning a second read of the hobbit or TLOR then your effort is justified and rewarded.

Top Bottom