Now reading [books]

+
jjavier said:
I think the book by itself don't worth the effort, unless you are a linguist like Tolkien or you are deep into ancient mitology.

If you are planning a second read of the hobbit or TLOR then your effort is justified and rewarded.

Well, I would agree even though I love the book. But it is true that if you found some parts as boring, there is not a big chance you are going to like it when reading again. But you could read some of the chapters, to which is refered in LOTR such as the story of Beren and Lúthien or the Music of the Ainur...

There are several important answers/stories in the Silmarilion. The creation of the world. The story of the silmarilis. The origin of elves, draves and people. The rise and fall of Melkor? How Sauron lose his body ? Where do Frodo and elves go at the end of TLOR? Who is Galadriel? Why some darves hates some elves? What is a dark elf? When the mages reach middle earth?

But why! Why do you have to write all this as if all literacy since Plato have never happens.

Comics:

Books:

One series I like that I think isn't as well known as it should be (just like The Witcher!) is Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirel, and Abhorsen). If you've read some of Nix's children's books, you may know him as a reasonably competent but not especially interesting writer. But the Abhorsen trilogy is far, far better than Nix's usual stuff. It uses a system of magic I've never heard of before and makes it fresh and believable. It's YA*, so the story is straightforward, and good triumphs in the end, so it's not a lesser-evil situation like Mr. Sapkowski. But if you can stand a little straightforward good , they're very well done.

Another series I recommend is Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy (Mistborn, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages). Again, it's an entirely new system of magic, and the author is very creative in the ways in which he puts this magic to use. Actually, it's TWO entirely new systems of magic, something I'm not sure any other author has ever pulled off.

I also recommend Robin McKinley's Sunshine, a fresh, new take on vampire novels. I've read a ton of vampire novels (though not the Twilight stuff), and I've seen just about all the permutations there are. McKinley's take on the matter is new while still feeling like it fits.

I second the recommendation for Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. He gets better as he goes along; the first two novels are not at all good (so much so that I recommend that people start with Book 3), and the most of the next few are just okay, but by the middle of the series, he's writing some very, very good stuff. Most of his books are a great deal of fun, but they also contain a lot of commentary on human nature and human institutions. One of the things I really admire about Pratchett is that he seems to understand human nature VERY well ... and yet he also seems to really love the human race. That's so very rare. He also has some really brilliant turns of phrase, lines that I have to read aloud to my husband, just because they're so very well put. The combination of fun stories on the surface with deeper meaning underneath, wonderful and memorable turns of phrase, and excellent insight into human nature reminds me of ... Shakespeare. You heard it here first, guys -- Terry Pratchett is Shakespeare.

I could go on, but that's probably more than enough for one post.

*YA = Young Adult. These books are usually aimed at the 12 - 17 year old set; the Harry Potter series is probably the best-known example of YA books.

I've read The Odyssey several times, and last night as I drove home from work, I spotted a shaggy old dog, a very stoic and weathered looking lab who was hobbling along in front of an even older man on a leash. Immediately I thought of this:

As they were speaking, a dog that had been lying asleep raised his head and pricked up his ears. This was Argos, whom Odysseus had bred before setting out for Troy, but he had never had any enjoyment from him. In the old days he used to be taken out by the young men when they went hunting wild goats, or deer, or hares, but now that his master was gone he was lying neglected on the heaps of mule and cow dung that lay in front of the stable doors till the men should come and draw it away to manure the great close; and he was full of fleas. As soon as he saw Odysseus standing there, he dropped his ears and wagged his tail, but he could not get close up to his master. When Odysseus saw the dog on the other side of the yard, dashed a tear from his eyes without Eumaeus seeing it, and said:
"Eumaeus, what a noble hound that is over yonder on the manure heap: his build is splendid; is he as fine a fellow as he looks, or is he only one of those dogs that come begging about a table, and are kept merely for show?"
"This dog," answered Eumaeus, "belonged to him who has died in a far country. If he were what he was when Odysseus left for Troy, he would soon show you what he could do. There was not a wild beast in the forest that could get away from him when he was once on its tracks. But now he has fallen on evil times, for his master is dead and gone, and the women take no care of him. Servants never do their work when their master's hand is no longer over them, for Zeus takes half the goodness out of a man when he makes a slave of him."
So saying he entered the well-built mansion, and made straight for the riotous pretenders in the hall. But Argos passed into the darkness of death, now that he had seen his master once more after twenty years.

You know what I love about the Odyssey? It has these wonderful intimate moments. But in this one, I see a bit of dark humor. Odysseus has been waylaid for years by a vengeful god, his crew turned to pigs, killed by sirens, eaten by monsters; he's been bewitched by Circe, almost married off to a foreign princess, all the while his proud wife is a day away from being sold like cattle to some fat noble. But in this scene, what really pisses Odysseus off? When his dog dies. When Argos kicks the can...IT IS ON MOTHER FUCKERS.

Corylea said:
One series I like that I think isn't as well known as it should be (just like The Witcher!) is Garth Nix's Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirel, and Abhorsen). If you've read some of Nix's children's books, you may know him as a reasonably competent but not especially interesting writer. But the Abhorsen trilogy is far, far better than Nix's usual stuff. It uses a system of magic I've never heard of before and makes it fresh and believable. It's YA*, so the story is straightforward, and good triumphs in the end, so it's not a lesser-evil situation like Mr. Sapkowski. But if you can stand a little straightforward good , they're very well done.

Another series I recommend is Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy (Mistborn, The Well of Ascension, The Hero of Ages). Again, it's an entirely new system of magic, and the author is very creative in the ways in which he puts this magic to use. Actually, it's TWO entirely new systems of magic, something I'm not sure any other author has ever pulled off.

After you dropped two buzzwords here ('new system of magic' and 'Brandon Sanderson'), I'll add Warbreaker to that list. I read it during the holidays and thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's pretty straight-forward (no complicated politics and intrigues), but has a bunch of interesting premises and characters, along with a well-written plot. It basically is about two kingdoms (one that worships magic and its most powerful users and another that abolished magic and tries to keep out of it) on the brink of war and the struggle of the weaker one to prevent war. But there's no great politics involved; Sanderson focusses on a few protagonists and their personal stories and interactions. Magic is based on Breath (a source of power, inherent in everyone in small amounts, but large amounts are needed to perform magic) and colors (which sort of interact with magic in different ways), which makes for a refreshingly new way of handling magic.
If you feel like taking a look, you can read the entire book for free on Brandon Sanderson's official homepage (direct link to .pdf)

Im re-reading my collection of "A Song of Fire and Ice", but in a very incohesive way, skipping entire chapters. :p Its one of the series thats a real pleasure to re-read without the fear of being bored, such is the enormity of facts and characters...

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series and Terry Goodkind . I don't seem to have much of a life they are both big series and long books . I really got into reading when the Dragonlance books came out very memorable characters almost became as popular as any movie from the books plus D&D game still on of my favorites .Shortly after that turn to Raymond Feist Rift war saga . Then David Eddings some very well written books with good humor in spite of dire situations sort of a Lethal Weapon camaraderie . There are more just forgot most .

Aaden said:
After you dropped two buzzwords here ('new system of magic' and 'Brandon Sanderson'), I'll add Warbreaker to that list. [...] Magic is based on Breath (a source of power, inherent in everyone in small amounts, but large amounts are needed to perform magic) and colors (which sort of interact with magic in different ways), which makes for a refreshingly new way of handling magic.

Thanks for the suggestion! I read it a couple of months ago, and you're right, that one was good, too. Sanderson seems able to think up interesting, consistent, and believable new systems of magic without breaking a sweat, which I think is really cool. Also cool is the fact that he shares on his website that he had to write SIX novels before he got one published, and he includes the rough drafts of some of his work, so you can see how much things changed between the time he wrote it and the time he got published. He's very encouraging to new writers, which is really sweet of him.

@Jack: That meme is SO spot-on. And it's what I totally love about GRR Martin (or rather one of the many things I love about his writing). He isn't scared of killing important characters he presented on hundreds upon hundreds of pages and which the readers have got to know, love and despise. It makes his series unpredictable and really distinguishes him from others. I'm still shocked every time a main character dies, because as a long-time fantasy reader (and movie watcher) I'm used to thinking "oho! the great hero is in peril! but he'll get through it - he's the hero after all (and the author put a lot of work into shaping him)". It's brilliant and makes A Song of Ice and Fire so much more believable and exciting.

@dmcaldw: The Wheel of Time is next on my list. But first I want to re-read the Geralt-saga, because "Something ends, something begins" is about to be published in German + TW2EE incoming - it's a good chance to give the entire series including both games another go. Did you finish Goodkind's Sword of Truth yet? Have you read that new spin-off?

@Corylea: Do you write a book or plan to do so? I kinda felt like I heard that in your words about Sanderson and his sharing of experience. Or is it just general interest in the "Behind the Scenes" of writing / Brandon Sanderson?
Is the Mistborn trilogy anything like Warbreaker? Would you suggest it to someone who liked it?

Read Confessor I think that was the last book in Sword of Truth . This series was probably the most emotional roller coaster I have been on as far highs and lows . No I haven't read the spin off yet . Goodkind in my opinion did a very good job staying true to his characters through out the series which was no small feat .

dmcaldw said:
Read Confessor I think that was the last book in Sword of Truth . This series was probably the most emotional roller coaster I have been on as far highs and lows . No I haven't read the spin off yet . Goodkind in my opinion did a very good job staying true to his characters through out the series which was no small feat .

Yes, that's the last one. Overall, I enjoyed it, although somewhere around book 4 or 5 (The Pillars of Creation, I think - the one with that evil half-brother or whatever he was?) it got quite monotonous and I even considered quitting it. I'm glad I didn't because after that it was back to its former strength.
I definitely hardly ever got so involved with a character as I did with Kahlan and Richard. I truly felt with them - an emotional rollercoaster ride, as you said.
Too bad Goodkind (imo) rushed the end - I think he realized that he has a lot of different story archs and desperately tried to make them all come together and be done with it - another 1 or 2 books might have been better.

I won't go anywhere near that spin-off though. The story is finished and trying to open up yet another one with the same characters just doesn't feel right. They deserve their peace. ;)

I decided to remember my childhood and start re-reading Jules Verne's novels. Now it's "20.000 Leagues Under the Sea", "Captain Grant's Children" awaiting. Classic...

I finished reading Michel Houellebecq "The Map and the Territory".

Next: Julio Cortazar "A Manual for Manuel". I'm so in love with ibero-american literature!

gregski said:

Next: Julio Cortazar "A Manual for Manuel". I'm so in love with ibero-american literature!

Gooood... That is one of Cortazar's most political novels, set in the social and political struggles of the 1970s... if you need some backstory because smthg escapes you, just ask. ;)

One of his greatest novels is "Rayuela", which was in its time the first novel I know of to have different branching stories within itself, that you could follow - yeah, so much as a game we know too well... :p -.

JackintheGreen said:
Gooood... That is one of Cortazar's most political novels, set in the social and political struggles of the 1970s... if you need some backstory because smthg escapes you, just ask. ;)

One of his greatest novels is "Rayuela", which was in its time the first novel I know of to have different branching stories within itself, that you could follow - yeah, so much as a game we know too well... :p -.

Yeah, it's veeery political, I read it really slow so I set up all the pieces together in my head :)

gregski said:

You should read Jorge Luis Borges. If you are not familiar with his fiction stories, they are essentially works of art that integrate meta-mathematics, philosophy of mind, philosophy of language, time and space paradoxes, among other things.

Currently I've been reading a couple research papers on systolic architecture design and methods for adapting neural network models to GPGPU computing. I'm also almost done with a collection of Kafka's short stories, and next in line is Philip K. Dick's "Ubik". PKD is probably my favorite "sci-fi" author, mostly because he transcends the cliches of sci-fi and actually writes about the social and mental struggles of people whose grasp of reality falls apart, not just nerdy tech talk.

Top Bottom