Now reading [books]

+
Generally i find it hard to read one book at a time, but i usually manage to hold myself.
This month though, i 've lost control.

I 'm currently reading:

1) George Martin's Game of Thrones. In English. (The second book of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series follows).
2) Maybe for tenth time Tom Robin's Jitterbug Perfume. Translated in Greek.
3) Andrzej Sapkowski 's Times Of Contemt, translated in English from our fantastic team!
4) Andzeja Sapkowskiego Ostatnie życzenie. (The Last Wish). In Polish, if you didn't get it (nerd here! )

I read mostly history (medieval and ancient) and some historical fantasy, a little bit of sci fi.

I'm almost always reading a few books at once. Lately:

By Sword and Fire- Cruelty and Atrocity in Medieval Warfare
by Sean McGlynn

Great Battles of Antiquity: A Strategic and Tactical Guide to Great Battles That Shaped the Development of War by Donald Boose and Richard Gabriel

Songs of Love and Death- an anthology of romance-focused sci fi and fantasy short stories edited by George R. R. Martin

The Kings in Winter by Cecelia Holland- historical fiction about the medieval Irish kings. I only discovered Holland recently, through the Warriors anthology, but she quickly shot up my list of favorite authors of all time.

Currently:

A Dance with Dragons, since the ASOIAF series is so big right now. For once I actually like the lasted big name series. Tho ADWD is fucking around a bit too much in my opinion. Then again I did just read the whole series back to back, if I hadn’t it might not have seemed so bad.

The Way of Kings, don’t like it as much as the Mistborn series.

The Painted Man, haven’t read far enough to form an opinion on it.

Inheritance, since I read the others tho I have out grown the series I feel I should finish it.

Also rereading Drowtales, its a pretty good webcomic even it its ridiculously nasty at times.

Guest 2091327

JackintheGreen said:
Im re-reading my collection of "A Song of Fire and Ice", but in a very incohesive way, skipping entire chapters. :p Its one of the series thats a real pleasure to re-read without the fear of being bored, such is the enormity of facts and characters...

I'll soon be reading "A Game of Thrones" myself. First four books ordered. The TV series got me hooked, so just have to read the books now. It seems to be very different from other series, and Hollywood movies in particular as important people can actually die. Greatly look forward to the books arriving. Haven't had a proper good read since I read the first two Witcher books.

Reading Njals saga by nobody knows (might be Snorri Sturlusson) on my dinner break today, the bickering and violent politicking of the Icelandic commonwealth reminds me of the northern kingdoms bloody background. Especially Henselt.

Blothulfur said:
Reading Njals saga by nobody knows (might be Snorri Sturlusson) on my dinner break today, the bickering and violent politicking of the Icelandic commonwealth reminds me of the northern kingdoms bloody background. Especially Henselt.

I remember reading "The Erik the Red Saga" many years ago...
Quite interesting tale of the failed Viking settlements in America. Almost all lead characters dropped dead at the end. :p

Yep most of the Sagas are pretty bleak, even the larger than life Egil Skallagrimsson finds no happy ever after. That grim magnificence, to persevere in the face of futility and failure, appeals to me for some reason.

Guest 2091327

It was a mighty tough life though, so it's not too surprising most of them wind up dying very young.

I've ordered the first four "A Song of Ice and Fire" books after falling in love with the TV series, but they have yet to arrive, and probably won't for maybe two more weeks. Damn!

In the meantime I've started reading an eyewitness book from the two Norwegian doctors who were in Gaza during the war there roughly three years ago, "Eyes in Gaza". Shocking reading to say the least.

I have been reading Tony Clunn's The Lost Roman Legions, about the author's discovery of the Teutoburger Wald battlefield as an amateur archaeologist while stationed in Germany with the British military. A pretty amazing story.

Guest 2091327

Having received the books, I can finally say I am officially reading the first book in the "A song of ice and fire" series. :)

@Tyrranikos
This is the "Now Reading" thread others mentioned...if you happen to notice it.

Have you ever read anything by Haruki Murakami? I've got "Kafka on the Shore" going right now. Shades of fantasy and sci-fi with a little detective work thrown in too, but it's mostly about two characters from contemporary Tokyo with some, uh, interesting identity issues. Might be something to check out if you're looking for a change of pace. I've heard his new release 1Q84 is good, too, but I haven't read it yet.

kyogen said:
@Tyrranikos
This is the "Now Reading" thread others mentioned...if you happen to notice it.

Have you ever read anything by Haruki Murakami? I've got "Kafka on the Shore" going right now. Shades of fantasy and sci-fi with a little detective work thrown in too, but it's mostly about two characters from contemporary Tokyo with some, uh, interesting identity issues. Might be something to check out if you're looking for a change of pace. I've heard his new release 1Q84 is good, too, but I haven't read it yet.
Oh sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely take a look at it. I miss some sci-fi reading.

secondchildren said:
Oh sounds interesting! Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely take a look at it. I miss some sci-fi reading.
It's not heavy on the sci-fi, but there are suggestions here and there that something weird is up--possibly related to the two atomic bombs the US dropped during the war. It's mostly a shifty/unstable/blurred together character study. I really like it, but I would hate to mislead anyone into thinking it's Philip K. Dick or Stanislaw Lem or something.

Just finishing Blood of Elves, but also getting through The Last Continent (Pratchett, Discworld) and Return of the King (again! I't my second time through LotR, and it's much better this time too!)

My friend bought The Hunger Games trilogy compilation in one book so I borrowed it from her.

First thing, the cover is absolutely beautiful. The whole book is jet black, even the sides of the pages and the front has flames with that holographic effect that changes/moves as you move the book in front of you.

So far I am only on page 50 but its quite good. Nothing spectacular yet, but I like the universe.

Top Bottom