Now reading [books]

+
Chewin3 said:
Currently The Sword of Destiny, but was thinking of picking up the Game of Thrones series.
Stop thinking - do it. It definitely has the potential to become one of the best works of Fantasy of all time. The only things that might scare you off are really lengthy descriptions (I personally like them, there's just sooo many details in it) and/or the slow plot (the first books are fine, but while reading books 4 and 5 I sometimes wished he would just get on with it and make some really decisive stuff happen).
But expect to wait eagerly for MMOOOOAAAARRR for years upon years once you finish the 5 books currently available. GRR Martin is really taking his time. :)

Guest 2091327

Currently only have 200 pages left of book 2 of the Game of Thrones series (Song of Ice and Fire, really), and I'm loving it. The worry I have is that, given the speed of which he has written books lately and his age, he won't be able to finish the last two books. Really, really hope he does, cause it would be a crying shame if this wonderful series isn't completed.

One of the things I find great, personally, without going into spoilerish details, is that I can identify with several of the characters from the situation in my own life, perhaps particularly Arya in being a bit of a black sheep or odd one out.

Fantastic books so far and it's hard to put them down. I often read to 3AM :D

Pangaea said:
Currently only have 200 pages left of book 2 of the Game of Thrones series (Song of Ice and Fire, really), and I'm loving it. The worry I have is that, given the speed of which he has written books lately and his age, he won't be able to finish the last two books. Really, really hope he does, cause it would be a crying shame if this wonderful series isn't completed.

One of the things I find great, personally, without going into spoilerish details, is that I can identify with several of the characters from the situation in my own life, perhaps particularly Arya in being a bit of a black sheep or odd one out.

Fantastic books so far and it's hard to put them down. I often read to 3AM :D

While, of course, no one can replace George R.R. Martin and it would be different from what he would do, his work would most likely not be left unfinished. He has entrusted a small number of people close to him with his ideas for the rest of the series - he has a detailed plan on what is to follow, he 'only' needs to write it - so if the worst should happen, there is someone to finish A Song Of Ice And Fire. Similar to Brandon Sanderson who will finish the Wheel of Time series, because the original author, Robert Jordan, died.

Guest 2091327

That's good to know, if the worst were to happen. Hopefully it won't, he's 'only' 63, so even if there is 5 years between books for the last 2 as well, he won't be more then in his mid-70s.

Reading now:

Next book on my list:

I'm kinda all over the place with my reading at the moment:

That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo: only a chapter to go. Very enjoyable short novel. He paints quite the emotional canvas there's love, loss, humor, cruelty, redemption but told in a very real and convincing way.

Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne: Fascinating history of the Comanches. Real eye opener, I had no idea how badass they were-the Comanches actually drove the Apaches off their traditional lands, forcing the whole tribe to relocate in Arizona. Hard to read in places though. The author pulls no punches in regards to the brutal violence of the time(by everyone, not just the Comanches)

The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolf: read this years ago and had forgotten how great it is. Gene Wolf is one of the best fantasy writers going. His writing tends to be a bit dense and convoluted but ultimately worth the effort. I find I enjoy his work best when I can set aside several hours for reading and become fully immersed in the worlds he creates.

yayodeanno said:
So far an interesting read :)

You're lucky if you got the colour edition! Mine was just b&w, booo. It's a great book nonetheless. :)

I'm reading Neuromancer - I hate it and I love it... it's so outdated but it makes me feel 13 again.

I ordered the book through amazon.de but it arrived directly from the USA, in a plastic bag, badly scuffed and battered, so I guess I have colored and weathered edition...

Got all the 6 books in the "Song of Fire and Ice" series for about 43 euros yesterday in English no less! Can't wait to start reading, I just need more free time.

Guest 2091327

Pham said:
Got all the 6 books in the "Song of Fire and Ice" series for about 43 euros yesterday in English no less! Can't wait to start reading, I just need more free time.

I am well into the third book by now, and loving it. Not watched anything off season 2 of the TV series yet, as I wanted to read the corresponding books first due to how it was with the first book/season.

One of the books must be divided up in two in that set, or I envy you a LOT! :D

I'm reading for the third time "Im Westen nichts Neues" (All Quiet on the Western Front) by Erich Maria Remarque. But, because I can read a book in a night, probably yet tomorrow I'll read even "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad.

Wichat said:
Het, today I've started to read The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel

(Google Translator)

The first book (The Clan of the Cave Bear) is incredible. Unless I read it three times.

Leaving aside whether "The Clan" reflects the true reality or not, it was clear that the author tried to give some difference in mentality and culture. It was a nice image, even if untrue, taking into account what science knows about the primeval people.

Story of main character keeps in suspense the whole time.

Unfortunately the last two parts ("The Shelters of Stone" and "The Land of Painted Caves") are terrible. Boring and modernized. In the last parts of the saga, Ayla is a contemporary American/European women in leather. The last part I can not read. I started, but I can not be overcome for further reading.

As for me, saga "Earth's Children" ends with "The Plains of Pasage"

Top Bottom