Now reading [books]

+
Of course I like history, otherwise I wouldn't do it -,- I just don't like reading the dreary books, they're not written in an interesting way.

Pandoricai said:
Of course I like history, otherwise I wouldn't do it -,- I just don't like reading the dreary books, they're not written in an interesting way.
I think history is interesting, no matter how it is written. :p

Try reading ANY of Clive Ponting's books -.- Even my history teacher said "I'd be surprised if anyone reads past the first chapter, this is incredibly dull."

Pandoricai said:
Try reading ANY of Clive Ponting's books -.- Even my history teacher said "I'd be surprised if anyone reads past the first chapter, this is incredibly dull."
Challenge accepted, I will if I can find one. ;)

One question for all: do you have read "Im Westen nichts Neues" (All Quiet on the Western Front)? Because it is one of the better boks that I have read.. I would recommend it to all :)

Did anyone read Daniel Abraham's 'Dagger and Coin' series? I had never heard of it, but GRR Martin mentioned it in his blog a while ago and seemed to be very fond of it.
Is it any good? What other series could you compare it to (if any)? Is it typical Fantasy or is there anything it does extraordinarily well/a special twist to differentiate it from other books?

I am currently trying to read my notes from my last history lesson. I say trying because I had to use a fountain pen, and this is what my writing looks like with one of those.

-.- 8 pages of deciphering squiggles.

Ahahahahahhaha :D
Hey, with a fountain pen you could write better then with other pens.. I really love them :D
Anyway, I can "translate" if you want.. usually I'm good even in copy the handwriting

edit: Anyway, now reading all adventure novels from Joseph Conrad :)

I prefer biro pens, I have a tendency to go over the top with anything with proper ink :p ANd yeah, 'translating' it for me would be nice :p

SquallDLeonhart said:
One question for all: do you have read "Im Westen nichts Neues" (All Quiet on the Western Front)? Because it is one of the better boks that I have read.. I would recommend it to all :)

Yes; it is a wonderful book. It's in the standard curriculum here, so all high-track students study it (in English). My daughter is a little tired of it right now :p

I'm reading Jasper Fforde, One of Our Thursdays is Missing. Nothing heavy, but Jasper Fforde is always out on the lunatic fringe: not content just to break the fourth wall, he dynamites it.

Pandoricai said:
I prefer biro pens, I have a tendency to go over the top with anything with proper ink :p ANd yeah, 'translating' it for me would be nice :p

I love them, instead, and I used them since elementary school :) I was too happy when a friend gave one to me, few time ago :D
But, I know that many people hate them for that problem (usually, all left-handed people hate them)

Ok, post me all images in a PM, then.. I try this "difficult" task :p

@Guy N'wah - Did you watch even the Lewis Milestone's movie? It is really wonderful..
edit: Why is she tired? It is very sad and cruel.. but incredibly beautiful.. and "real"

SquallDLeonhart said:
I love them, instead, and I used them since elementary school :) I was too happy when a friend gave one to me, few time ago :D
But, I know that many people hate them for that problem (usually, all left-handed people hate them)

Ok, post me all images in a PM, then.. I try this "difficult" task :p

@Guy N'wah - Did you watch even the Lewis Milestone's movie? It is really wonderful..
edit: Why is she tired? It is very sad and cruel.. but incredibly beautiful.. and "real"

Yes, we have also seen the Milestone (1930) movie, which is just as fine. She's tired of it because she didn't just have to read it, she had to take close notes on the whole thing, make a presentation on it, and then study it again for finals

GuyN said:
Yes, we have also seen the Milestone (1930) movie, which is just as fine. She's tired of it because she didn't just have to read it, she had to take close notes on the whole thing, make a presentation on it, and then study it again for finals

Noooo
Well, maybe she'll change opinion after a few years.. I hope :D
The movie is wonderful.. and its end is really a piece of art! :D

edit: Another demonstration that school could destroy even a piece of art :(

@Pandoricai - I "translated" the first page :p Do I have to send it to you? :p

SvartDjevel said:
The Sword of Destiny by Andrzej Sapkowski. Finally this book is published in Hungary, I really love it :)
This, and the translation's brilliant again, I'm so happy. : )

siklara said:
This, and the translation's brilliant again, I'm so happy. : )

I am too. When I read this I have an unique feeling, and this happend when I read The LAst Wish. Can't wait for the Blood of Elves :)

This summer I'm finally going to finish The Dark Tower series by Stephen King-have no excuse for not doing so until now, its a great epic and I've thoroughly enjoyed the first four books.

Also reading 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles Mann. Its a follow-up to his 1491: New Revelations of the Americas before Columbus(which I highly recommend). In this book he looks at the global impact of the exchange in plants, animals, minerals, and more between the New & Old worlds. Fascinating stuff-I had no idea how much guano from Peru impacted Europe or how silver from S. America wreaked the Quin dynasty or the effect of malaria in the American civil war or how earthworms from England re-wrote the ecosystem of N. American forests. Books like this can be dry and tedious but he's an engaging and entertaining writer and does a fine job of connecting all the dots.

Guest 3593423

seekerpat said:
This summer I'm finally going to finish The Dark Tower series by Stephen King-have no excuse for not doing so until now, its a great epic and I've thoroughly enjoyed the first four books.

Yeah, the first three books are the best, imo, though the critics say the complete opposite. :p But greta series, very interesting.

I'm reading the Bartimaeus Trilogy. It's got a brilliant humorous side, but also a compelling story. Definitely recommend, you'll love it within minutes. :)

Top Bottom