• Ida Emean

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Assire var Anahid

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fringilla Vigo

Votes: 77 18.9%

• Total voters
He made the sorceresses in his own image it seems

Haha there's a character in Hussite Trology named Szarlej. He's completley in sarcastic, arrogant "Sapko during interview" mode. There was an interview with Sapkowski's son who said that Andrzej second wife is a lot like Yennefer, but who would belive in anything that anyone from this family is saying :D

There was an interview with Sapkowski's son who said that Andrzej second wife is a lot like Yennefer, but who would belive in anything that anyone from this family is saying

Thanks for the laugh :thumbup:

Haha there's a character in Hussite Trology named Szarlej. He's completley in sarcastic, arrogant "Sapko during interview" mode

Image from BaW

That monster is called Szarlej. Hard-headed, wouldn't you agree? :)

Topic, anyone? I think it's beginning to wander in places.

Indeed. The topic is, I think, sorceress' fertility. So let's revisit it

I don't remember - Did Tissaia demand entered into force? I mean did they started to sterilize every young sorceress after Cudaris Congress or sterility remained to be "just" a side effect?
I do think (but like you can't be sure either) that Tissiaia did do it. She was really convinced by this.

There is actually a part in Baptism of Fire that, as I understand, confirms that Tissaia didn't accomplish her "goal"
‘So who do you think Kovir would select, given a free choice? A girl from a royal family, whose royal blood flows back many generations. A very young woman, suitable for a young prince. A girl who is fertile, because this is about a dynasty. Such prerequisites rule you out, Philippa. Rule me out, rule out Keira and Triss even, the youngest among us. They also rule out all the novices at my school, who are anyhow of little interest to us; they are but buds, the colour of whose petals are still unknown. It’s unthinkable that any of them could occupy the twelfth, empty seat at this table. In other words, were Kovir to be afflicted with insanity and willing to marry their prince to a sorceress, we couldn’t find a suitable woman. Who, then, is to be this Queen of the North?’

Edit: Although it could still be interpreted either way. But I suppose that the "unthinkable" part refers to them being "but buds" (too young, not suitable for the Lodge), rather than to them being infertile

Last edited:
Indeed. The topic is, I think, sorceress' fertility. So let's revisit it

There is actually a part in Baptism of Fire that, as I understand, confirms that Tissaia didn't accomplish her "goal"
‘So who do you think Kovir would select, given a free choice? A girl from a royal family, whose royal blood flows back many generations. A very young woman, suitable for a young prince. A girl who is fertile, because this is about a dynasty. Such prerequisites rule you out, Philippa. Rule me out, rule out Keira and Triss even, the youngest among us. They also rule out all the novices at my school, who are anyhow of little interest to us; they are but buds, the colour of whose petals are still unknown. It’s unthinkable that any of them could occupy the twelfth, empty seat at this table. In other words, were Kovir to be afflicted with insanity and willing to marry their prince to a sorceress, we couldn’t find a suitable woman. Who, then, is to be this Queen of the North?’

Edit: Although it could still be interpreted either way. But I suppose that the "unthinkable" part refers to them being "but buds" (too young, not suitable for the Lodge), rather than to them being infertile

Ehh I'm closer to position that Tissaia didn't manage to impose her demand. not like I'm sure but from conversation between Geralt and Nenneke in Voice of reason I have a feeling that they are talking about infertility like it was price for being able to use magic - "side effect", not like she was sterilized

No one can help her, it's impossible. She's a sorceress. Like most female magicians, her ovaries are atrophied and it's irreversible. She'll never be able to have children.'

So in my interpretation Tissaia didn't change anything in that matter

Ehh I'm closer to position that Tissaia didn't manage to impose her demand. not like I'm sure but from conversation between Geralt and Nenneke in Voice of reason I have a feeling that they are talking about infertility like it was price for being able to use magic - "side effect", not like she was sterilized

Nenneke is the boss, so we should believe her :) Though this is again unclear, since she is talking about Yennefer, and the practice of sterilization may have been implemented in the meantime. Overanalyzing this will not get as anywhere

So in my interpretation Tissaia didn't change anything in that matter

I think so too. Once again, I believe that the whole infertility matter is only significant for Geralt/Yennefer. In addition, it also serves as a nice element in making Geralt distinct and exceptional, since his mother, Visenna, was a sorceress. And also Vilgefortz, if we can believe him. As far as I remember, those are the only two characters whose mothers were sorceresses.

To summarize, while it is stated that all sorceresses, with a few exceptions, are infertile, I think this should not be regarded as a fundamental trait of the lot.

As far as I remember, those are the only two characters whose mothers were sorceresses.

Mhm, there were also Ilona Laux - Antile but we don't know how (or even if) related she was to Margarita (on English witcher wikia, they assumed that she was Margarita grandmother, but there's no proof for that in books)

Mhm, there were also Ilona Laux - Antile but we don't know how (or even if) related she was to Margarita (on English witcher wikia, they assumed that she was Margarita grandmother, but there's no proof for that in books)
Not? I thought there was a mention of this in time of contempt. Hmmm gotta read that part again then.

No, she has only been mentioned in Geralt's conversation with Vilgerfotz. Jada Glevissig is also mentioned there.
‘And here… Hmm… Yes, a novice probably painted this. And a very young one, at that…’

‘Undoubtedly. It’s an allegory, after all. I’d call it an allegory of triumphant womanliness. Air, water, earth and fire. And four famous enchantresses, all masters at wielding the forces of those elements. Agnes of Glanville, Aurora Henson, Nina Fioravanti and Klara Larissa de Winter. Look at the next–and more effective–painting. Here you also see Klara Larissa opening the academy for girls here, in the building where we now stand. And those are portraits of renowned Aretuza graduates. This shows a long history of triumphant womanhood and the growing feminisation of the profession: Yanna of Murivel, Nora Wagner, her sister Augusta, Jada Glevissig, Leticia Charbonneau, Ilona Laux-Antille, Carla Demetia Crest, Yiolenta Suarez, April Wenhaver… And the only surviving one: Tissaia de Vries…’
So we may assume that they are ancestors of Margarita and Sabrina but there is no definitive proof even though the wiki claims otherwise.

Guest 3847602

No Fringilla :(
:boredom:
Seriously though, they look great! All of them. :thumbsup:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! I've been gone for three months and my thread is all messed up :crazy: Where are the gwent cards? Oh well, I'll fix it right away.

Anyway, I wish to voice my disappointment over Fringilla's treatment in Blood and Wine. Or the lack of it to be presice. I get why they couldn't give her a major role, but she's not even mentioned! That's like wow. And she didn't even get any new lines on the boat! Surely she'd be interested to learn the fate of her sisters and homeland. And as far as I know her bugged dialogue about Cantarella is still not fixed. Mess.

It sucks for the other members as well. It looks like there will be no EE so it means that Sheala is dead for good, while the others are in Limbo :(

Oh well, we still have that upcoming gwent game. Hopefully my girlies will get a good treatment in it. I'm already loving the new artwork.

Hey welcome back @Zyvik !

Yeah I get your disappointment, I am currently reading The Lady of The Lake. Anna Henrietta and Fringilla were so close as a family. I was quite shocked that Anna didn't even mention her in Blood and Wine. But oh wel at least the name 'Vigo' did pop up, it's something.

It seems Syanna was not the only one Anna Henrietta forgot about!

Of course I'm still salty about them killing Sabrina in W2- her death made about as much sense as Dijkstra attacking Geralt with an axe! Triss, Keira, and Sabrina had all the fun in the books- flying around making castles explode!

It seems Syanna was not the only one Anna Henrietta forgot about!

Of course I'm still salty about them killing Sabrina in W2- her death made about as much sense as Dijkstra attacking Geralt with an axe! Triss, Keira, and Sabrina had all the fun in the books- flying around making castles explode!

They probably wished with the creation of the Witcher 3 that they didn't kill her off :p

Maybe they did it to show that despite her strong, arrogant and sometimes vicious attitude towards the king, effectively bossing him about. That he is ultimately in charge and betraying Kaedwen will result in death. Although Henselt was a cunt anyway.

Guest 3847602

Anyway, I wish to voice my disappointment over Fringilla's treatment in Blood and Wine. Or the lack of it to be presice. I get why they couldn't give her a major role, but she's not even mentioned! That's like wow.

Just use mods. This way, my Geralt's date in A Matter of Life and Death finally reached the 1st base. Only took about year and a half. :p

Attachments

• canon.jpg
    canon.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 186
Top Bottom