The loot system is garbage

+
I also don't need a thousand different types of drink food that do exactly the same thing and would much rather they stack into a generic drink food or alcohol icon. Artistically is nice but its just a pain in the arse to sort and manage inventory with a system like that.

Yea at first it might be captivating because you feel like getting lots of loot but in reality, it's mostly just junk and gets pretty quickly bothersome and messy to organize through all that stuff properly.

I completely agree with OP. The game showers you with loot but it's 99% junk and marginal upgrades. This sort of item system is nothing but a gigantic chore so you just end up ignoring it.

A better system would be less items but the items are more meaningful when you get them, item drops are more exciting and interesting that way.

Looting is pretty poor. And there's so much just laying around with no obvious gauge (when first starting out anyway) as to whether they're worth even bothering with.... Shame there wasn't a prelim gauge or guide.... Missed opportunity there me thinks..

Looting is pretty poor. And there's so much just laying around with no obvious gauge (when first starting out anyway) as to whether they're worth even bothering with.... Shame there wasn't a prelim gauge or guide.... Missed opportunity there me thinks..
I don't have a problem with the loot itself, i just want to be able to successfully pick things up consistently and deconstruct in one go... Saying you don't like it without any reason makes no sense, imo more loot is always better since there is more variety and more crafting materials to be had...
Post automatically merged:

I also don't need a thousand different types of drink food that do exactly the same thing and would much rather they stack into a generic drink food or alcohol icon. Artistically is nice but its just a pain in the arse to sort and manage inventory with a system like that.
Nah more food items add to the world building, not everyone drinks beer and eats biscuits all the time. Sounds like you want to water it down some?

Nah more food items add to the world building, not everyone drinks beer and eats biscuits all the time. Sounds like you want to water it down some?

No, I just understand the design principle of "Sometimes less is more". When the design bogs down inventory management the cost of having different icons for the same item becomes a "more is less" scenario. You cannot smell or taste the food you cannot even see yourself eat it. I'm not saying they should remove all the items from the world, but having them not stack together is poor design.

You could make the "adds to the world building argument" to a system that makes you fill out insurance info every time you dented a car in the game but it only becomes an exercise of tedium, just like how it is with the inventory management.

Last edited:
No, I just understand the design principle of "Sometimes less is more". When the design bogs down inventory management the cost of having different icons for the same item becomes a "more is less" scenario. You cannot smell or taste the food you cannot even see yourself eat it. I'm not saying they should remove all the items from the world, but having them not stack together is poor design.

You could make the "adds to the world building argument" to a system that makes you fill out insurance info every time you dented a car in the game but it only becomes an exercise of tedium, just like how it is with the inventory management.
Id rather be able to hold the food in characters hands and eat it then it be a simple inventory consumable, for e.g look at Star Cirtizen nutrition mechanics. Then you'd have a reason to find a bar, sit down and eat. Make it way more immersive too.

I actually had a problem with the looting system at first because it flat out overwhelmed me. But after a playing a bit I got accostumed to it and think that that's darn alright. Skills make looting junk worth it as they get auto-dismantled.

The rest is easy to sell or dismantled except for drinks. I play on hard and actually never drank any nor did I need any. I just sold every baverage i could find even if it only turned around a coin or two.

Loot system takes just too much time and its so poorly done that indeed we take more time in paused game checking things than in the actuall game ...sh1ts messed up

I am fine with the amount of loot we can get, though breaking down the inventory into more tabs would be nice. A sell all in the stack button would also be really nice for the consumables. Also we should have a lock option to prevent selling items or breaking them down and Iconic gear should be locked by default, if you sell one by mistake and realize it you can use the buy back tap but if you break it down for parts it seems to be gone, I have lost a few iconic weapons this way.

It would also be nice if the weapon smiths or some tech character could also upgrade iconic weapons for a fair price so if we don't want to invest in crafting we could still get them to Legendary at the very least.

The loot system in the game is really broken, too much irrelevant stuff to colect.

It would be smarter with fewer, but better quality items, while raising the payment for the job.

The lack of a "mark Items to sell" button is mandatory with so much loot. The player experience would be way better.

But it's only 1 thing out of an universe of really bad decisions made in gameplay department, like:

a) Just two columns in the inventory menu? Come on, there should be at least 3 or 4, and there should be a certain delay (at least 1 or 2 seconds) before showing the items specs, and not let them just pop up instantly.

Or you could do it just like Baldur's Gate 2 EE, and have a specific panel to show the weapon stats.

b) Damage types aren't so useful too. Only eletric, but only to machines.

c) Weapon brands, which was told to play an important role in the game, is totally useless, and make the Ad campaing for the game to sound really misleading and shady in that regard.

Weapon mods are very good, but where they are? I really didn't find that much in my gameplays.

d) Braking items should be possible in the inventory menu, and without having to hold a button for that, please.

The other flaw in crafting mechanic is the need to keep pressing the key to craft and brake itens. It would be better to press and select how many of the item the player would like to craft or brake.

e) No option to holster your weapon with a single button.

Why do I need to press "alt" + select it in the menu to do this simple action? What's wrong with the good old "h" button?

f) Crafting is useless. Only legendary items really worth something in this regard, but the crafting price is too high.

There is no reason for the player to invest upgrade points, brake all inventory garbate, track all the vendors in the map to buy legendary pieces - which costs an absurd amount of money to end up having worse items that I can pick up by exploring.

g) Foods and drinks are disappointing. Especially without hotkeys to use them on PC.

The effects are too mild. Food organization in the game is really bad, as they mixed up with medical items. With so much automatic vendors, it's expectable that food should be way more important to the player.

Food and medicine are different things. Food buffs the player, while medicine cures - mixing them in the menu was an inventory design mistake.

h) Other thing that could be in the game is the option to turn helmet and face items visuals off, so you can clearly see how V looks like in inventory menu.

i) Restaurants and bars are completely useless in the game, despite having so many of them on the game map, so this brakes the immersion for me.

Food and drinks could have proper animations, and eating or drinking should be possible in the game, and give some specific buffs, depending on what you're eating or drinking.

j) Clothing visuals are the worst part of the game. If you prioritize stats, you'll probably end up dressed like a clown.

In one of the missions, playing as a male straight V, I found a legendary Arasaka gear - with very good stats, but.... It was a dress, so when I used it, I had to cruise a significant part of the game as an "involuntary crossdresser V".

Why CDPR? Why?

I think most of the problems around the loot would be fixed if you could tag loot for junk, so when you loot a weapon the ui would show the hotkey to mark that item as junk (so far there is only Y to equip). The same in the inventory, add a "junk" shortcut when you browsing stuff which would put any unwanted item in the junk category. Then when you go to a vendor you can sell all the junk, the junk items you collected and the other items you have tagged as junk.

As far as I understand the category of an item seems to be hardcode so this solution it might not be possible unless they can use a soft category (o tag system) to mark as junk items which are not natively junk.

Also why there isn't a filter tab for weapon type? For instance I would like to see only pistols in the backpack. Why this simple QoL thing has been omitted? There will be more suggestions, but I will make another post (if ever useful) at some point.

I'm with you on the overwhelming garbage loot avalanche but i don't get how everyone's saying crafting is useless. My best weapons right now are the three legendaries I made. Maybe you haven't done the quests/storylines to unlock the good plans, or the "iconic" items that you consume to make a higher-tier version? I haven't found anything dropped by anyone that comes remotely close to how good the two crafting legendaries I am currently using are.

I also found a gun that uses eddies for ammo. There's your economy money sink, i suppose.

Sorting by category would be nice but right now I'd be happy just to have my freaking weapon tooltips back. I literally cannot see the stats of almost any of my gear, hover mouse over it, nothing happens. Irritating as hell.

After 80 hours of gameplay, I see no problem with there being too much loot, but rather of crafting/economy system being to expensive for a single playthrough. Either you dismantle or sell, and even choosing one or the other I see no way of completly getting all the cars, cyberware and upgrading most of the iconics on one playthrough.

It is a lot. Though I went down crafting so Junk auto disassembles and I do the same to pretty much everything I pick since I can make better and tailored specifically to my character. Level cap prevents that from being worthwhile in the long run so if it isn't your thing it is a waste.

I did think about what it would be like if I didn't go down crafting, and I agree it is a bit excessive. With the level cap and enemies not respawning I guess they decided to go all out to be sure the player has resources and gear to get by.

Lot's of these issues have many "simple" straightforward solutions. Might want to put off console releases next time. CPDR is a PC first company that should have contracted out all ports to console. Make console gamers drool for it. GotY Edition for winter 2021 on consoles to coincide with a major expansion release at full price. Money by the truck loads...

I'd much rather get rid of junk loot, replace with rarer items that sell for more.
Also reduce food and drink items into 1-2 versions of each bonus type and reduce the amount on the map...if not remove completely from map, leaving them as vendor/enemy drops only and offset the cost also into those rarer expensive items.

Top Bottom