The loot system is garbage

+
i think most people are wanting a loot filter and i agree it would solve alot of these complaints
There is a loot filter. On the top right corner it says filter, you click that and you can filter it by weight, dps, cost, ect.
Post automatically merged:

People need to open there eyes and learn how to play a game on there own.

There is a loot filter. On the top right corner it says filter, you click that and you can filter it by weight, dps, cost, ect.

no like a view filter meaning like only show uncommon and up items to pick up in the world not your inventory lol sorry didnt make clear

Guest 4406876

Since you're here tell them also to implement a filter for armor values. Because DPS doesn't really apply as a filter for armor values...

this game sucks
epic post bro lol the only thing it sucks is all my time and energy cuz i love it anyway choom find something different and move on hell even get a refund if your so inclined but as you can see this post is about loot systems so why not try to at least attempt to have that in your response lol, so many people on here just act like entitled lil kids upset cuz mommy got them regular nike's instead of jordans lmao grow up

Since you're here tell them also to implement a filter for armor values. Because DPS doesn't really apply as a filter for armor values...
oooh ooh great point ole choom armor value is a must for that filter great point +2077

I think it was referred to the "amount of loot" you get, too much, too uncalled. You find stuff literally on the floor that should be only purchasable etc.
But it's not the amount the issue. is the quality. Like i already posted in another answer: The problem is the REAL chance of upgrades in the floor, what makes player not be able to ignore the loot.

There should be far more stuff in the floor, armor pieces should drop from enemies. But bad armor and weapons. So the player CAN get stuff if they like how stuff looks and upgrade it to usable but not a ready to use item.

But quite frankly, that's an small fish to fry. The game is far too easy. I am playing in very hard and effectively perkless.(made a tech/hack dude that never upgraded a item, bough a weapon once at lvl 4 and only use alert and whisper in hacking)

Quite frankly the gear difference in this game needs to be wider. a player in the hardest difficulty should not be able to pass 2~3 levels without changing weapons and gear.

in top of it we have shit like this(attached) why in the hell a pistol i picked at lvl 9 or 10 has better DPS than a legendary shotgun lvl 20?

Like i get it, there's slots to make the shotgun better and the pistol is "unique"/iconic but it was not crafted or upgraded. The damage just goes up with my level apparently, making virtually anything the game can sell drop useless. Since it would take ALOT of effort to minimal improvement.

In the hardest difficulty gear should NEED to be improved every 2~3 levels. Because otherwise what is the point of crafting, upgrading, and the random events in the map? That makes the game feel more a average shooter, where you pick whatever weapon in the ground and does fine, than a RPG.

Attachments

• like this.png
    like this.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
But it's not the amount the issue. is the quality. Like i already posted in another answer: The problem is the REAL chance of upgrades in the floor, what makes player not be able to ignore the loot.

There should be far more stuff in the floor, armor pieces should drop from enemies. But bad armor and weapons. So the player CAN get stuff if they like how stuff looks and upgrade it to usable but not a ready to use item.

But quite frankly, that's an small fish to fry. The game is far too easy. I am playing in very hard and effectively perkless.(made a tech/hack dude that never upgraded a item, bough a weapon once at lvl 4 and only use alert and whisper in hacking)

Quite frankly the gear difference in this game needs to be wider. a player in the hardest difficulty should not be able to pass 2~3 levels without changing weapons and gear.

in top of it we have shit like this(attached) why in the hell a pistol i picked at lvl 9 or 10 has better DPS than a legendary shotgun lvl 20?

Like i get it, there's slots to make the shotgun better and the pistol is "unique"/iconic but it was not crafted or upgraded. The damage just goes up with my level apparently, making virtually anything the game can sell drop useless. Since it would take ALOT of effort to minimal improvement.

In the hardest difficulty gear should NEED to be improved every 2~3 levels. Because otherwise what is the point of crafting, upgrading, and the random events in the map? That makes the game feel more a average shooter, where you pick whatever weapon in the ground and does fine, than a RPG.
woah im not sure all my starter items went to poo poo quick and upgrading them to keep up proves to be a task for sure but that may be due to my playstyle nothing i have upgrades with me other than doing it myself so maybe thats a bugged item not sure man maybe someone else can shed some light.

woah im not sure all my starter items went to poo poo quick and upgrading them to keep up proves to be a task for sure but that may be due to my playstyle nothing i have upgrades with me other than doing it myself so maybe thats a bugged item not sure man maybe someone else can shed some light.
While i can "see" it being bugged, or being a mechanic to keep "unique" weapons useful.

But I picked this item with 230 dps, at level 10, without any mods. You see that's 10 levels of difference. Even IF the item is bugged, i don't think so i think the dps went up because my weapons skills imprved, that would still be usable and doing just fine. (I would have to kill one enemy per clip instead of 2)
The weapon was like that when i picked, i just loaded a save to check

You see.... 10 levels of difference, in this case double the amount of levels, should make the item be completely unusable in the hardest difficulty. And that's not the case, at all.

PS: and even knowing that i will pick some enemies for saying it: Items power should grow proportionally as you level up.

If a item lvl 10 have 100 of dps a item level 20 should have 1000. The game has an option of "upgrade" items, the player can buy new items, or find them.

There's no reason for a item to be "usable" 10 levels later in a RPG game. That makes the entire crafting, upgrading system and buying new equipment completely useless since the difference between a "good" lvl 10 weapon and a lvl 20 is just double the damage.... That might sound a lot but 10 levels is what? 10? 15? hours of gameplay without making the player change equipment.... in a rpg game.....(items/gear should be important.)

Last edited:

Guest 4406876

Idk know at this point, I always found better stuff on the floor without even considering crafting (which I used just to upgrade the armor on pieces of clothing I liked not to be dressed as a clown). I think the impression I have is too much loot. But tuning of loot is for sure a real issue here. I agree with you both. It's just hard to pinpoint this problem as in the end, you don't really get the rope of stuff as it's kind of messy in the inventory and during the action.

Oh btw it might vary depending on play style. Maybe some issues are more glaring under certain character specs than others of course.

Take cyberware for example...I didn't really used it...as soon as after the first time I noticed it's just another window popping out as a vendor..I lost interest completely. Didn't need cyberware in the game at all. I wished to see at least a little...cinematic of the doc cutting me into pieces...

Tuco

Forum veteran
Not really. "Loot" is a important part of Open world games, specially RPGs.
Which is notoriously a weak point in the genre.
A lot of open world games are absolutely abysmal at managing loot and equipment progression, in general.
With very few and rare exceptions like the Gothic games and very few others.

Ironically enough a lot of "action adventures" (especially among the older ones, the ones that didn't try at any cost to push shitty "RPG elements" in their design) often managed to nail this aspect far better.

Also, Immersive sims. Games like Deus EX, Ultima Underworld, System Shock, always grasped the notion that itemization was supposed to be a sparse reward, a means to an end and not what the entire experience was meant to be all about.

You guys know the game is a looter right? Straight up rng stats with 5 tiers of rarity, like borderlands. Salvage, sell it, or leave it on the ground. For the junk, spend one perk point auto dismantling it for materials.

I swear people are nitpicking and bitching about everything.

Tuco

Forum veteran
You guys know the game is a looter right?
We know we'd like for it to NOT be one, and that we repeated this to CDPR tor two years straight on this very board.

Just because the devs wanted it to be one it doesn't mean the user base has to like it.
I swear some people would defend diarrhea in a bottle if "CDPR decided to design it this way on purpose".

Also, imagine having a setting that makes completely reasonable to have "bullet-spongy" enemies from time to time because of their hardware, based on a pen & paper ruleset where levels aren't even a thing... And STILL deciding that you have to use the shittiest possible "vcideogamey" mechanic of level scaled enemies in your adaptation because "It's an RPG, right? That's what kids like these days, no? Numbers!".

We know we'd like for it to NOT be one, and that we repeated this to CDPR tor two years straight on this very board.

Just because the devs wanted it to be one it doesn't mean the user base has to like it.
I swear some people would defend diarrhea in a bottle if "CDPR decided to design it this way on purpose".

Also, imagine having a setting that makes completely reasonable to have "bullet-spongy" enemies from time to time because of their hardware, based on a pen & paper ruleset where levels aren't even a thing... And STILL deciding that you have to use the shittiest possible "vcideogamey" mechanic of level scaled enemies in your adaptation because "It's an RPG, right? That's what kids like these days, no? Numbers!".
Don't "we" us.

The enemies right now are so weak that this game barely holds any weight in term of perks, like i said I am playing effectively as a perkless character in this game because the game doesn't force me to anything, even in the hardest difficulty. Because you don't need extra damage from the perks, you don't needs extra money from the perks, you don't need upgrades from perks because all the items have a paper thin damage/protection diference and any half decent player can overcome their supposed "weakness" by playerskill.
The problem of this game is exactly what you are trying to suggest: It doesn't have focus in items.

You bring 3 non openworld games as example of "RPG GAMES". That's complete lack of understanding of the complexity of a openworld game.

It's easy to make encounters when you know where the player is coming from, what level and equipment he has access to and limit the combat to 1~3 enemies at time.

Meanwhile openworld games allow the players to interact with the enemies in N ways. So it's far harder to properly limit and tailor the experience.

Also in openworld games the main focus IS the world. That's the entire point of being an openworld game, meanwhile you are arguing because it has openworld mechanics instead of a "rpg" on rails mechanics.

PS: And just to make clear items is important because it's half of the solution for your issues. "How you deal with the enemy?"

And this comes in: Kill the enemies, avoid combat.

How you kill enemies? By doing damage and surviving. How you do it? using weapons and armor.
The ideal point is perks either allowing you to boost the stats of the gear you have. Or allowing you to get new gear more often. (Multiplying your damage or allowing you to craft/upgrade your gear)

Problem is: In this game there's so little focus in gear that you can play whatever you want and do just fine. Your suggestion of "solution" is the reason why the game is so weak in the rpg.

Last edited:

Tuco

Forum veteran
Don't "we" us.

I wasn't doing it.

This wasn't meant as a "we" that included everyone.
Only the people with good taste who pointed the issue, of which you clearly are no part of.

P.S. Also, as a "fresh user", I'm not sure why you [thought] you were meant to be part of the group I was referring to: of the users of this forum that highlighted the potential problems of this system years in advance.

You bring 3 non openworld games as example of "RPG GAMES". That's complete lack of understanding of the complexity of a openworld game
And you are courting this [ . . . ] idea that what every open world game around is doing is perfectly fine, when most of them have absolutely abysmal itemization precisely because they keep sticking to the same rancid formula.
Also, way to spot the flaw of me mentioning not-open-world-games, when I specifically mentioned them as a part of a different genre "that usually does it better".

What a keen eye for the detail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't doing it.

This wasn't meant as a "we" that included everyone.
Only the people with good taste who pointed the issue, of which you clearly are no part of.
Imagine being so blind and full yourself that you think you have better taste than other people....
While you complain that a OPEN world game is, well..... open?

Sir seriously. Go back to ultima. That's all i have to say.

Let me put it plainly: You don't know nothing about game design. And it shows. I looked your posts, and you tried to bring examples of bauldurs gates and torment as a way to justify your points, in a OPEN WORLD GAME.

You see the issue here is that in these games you CAN reduce the number of items because you KNOW what will be the level of the player and you know what he will do next.(You can always make an specific encounter a "gate keeper" if you are not certain)

That's not possible in open world games. Players can use numerous amount of approach to overcome the enemies, and gatekeepers. Likewise in the games you gave as example you play a character with a story line that you follow. That's not the APPEAL of a open world game.

A open world game is about the player carving his way into the world, thus why the world is so important. That's why devs NEED to throw a ridiculous amount of items to the player and let the player figure out what is usable what is not and how to handle what is not. That's why these games have weight system, you are not supposed to lot everything.

Literally you are complaining that an open world game is open. That's why the "we" that you speak of was ignored, because in this point you REALLY don't have any idea what you are talking about.

And don't fool yourself thinking you are a genius and something most open worlds do is wrong and your approach, of copying stuff of well known and studied games, is the correct. Dude legit. You are not smarter than anyone, these games you spoke about are literally picked apart and studied up and down by developers. to the point of this:

A channel for beginners game developers made an entire series of video talking about only ONE dungeon of one of these games.

These games designs are widely known to everyone in the industry. They are not used in open world games not because they are unknown but because they don't work in open world games.

That's akin to asking a game like darksouls to have a quick save button. You see it's not that quick save buttons are bad, but it's because it doesn't work for the goal of the devs.

I mean for real, sit down.

Last edited:

Tuco

Forum veteran
Imagine being so blind and full yourself that you think you have better taste than other people....
While you complain that a OPEN world game is, well..... open?

Sir seriously. Go back to ultima. That's all i have to say.
Ultima as a saga was better than most modern RPGs in its structure, so if that was meant as a jab to the series, I have no idea what sort of [ . . . ] point you are trying to make this time.
[ . . . ]

It's easy to make encounters when you know where the player is coming from, what level and equipment he has access to and limit the combat to 1~3 enemies at time.
Well, that's the [ . . . ] excuse of every lame game designer around, isn't it? "How can I make all the content accessible at every level, no matter what the player does?"

1- Who said you should, in the first place?
2- Why are are you even implementing a system with a pronounced and steep ramp-up in power to begin with, when then you need to have the player constantly matched with a band-aid system?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ultima as a saga was better than most modern RPGs in its structure, so if that was meant as a jab to the series, I have no idea what sort of [ . . . ] point you are trying to make this time.

Yes... it's am amazing RPG. It's widely known and studied. It's not an open world game. I in my "incompetence" know that, know the game up and down. And i know that it's as close of what cyberpunk is to Doom. You see yes they have similarities, but they are different genres.

Well, that's the [ . . . ] excuse of every lame game designer around, isn't it? "How can I make all the content accessible at every level, no matter what the player does?"

1- Who said you should, in the first place?
The "Open world" part of the genre. The player should be able to access the entire world when it's OPEN world.

Last edited:
There is just simply too much. I dont want to even pick anything up any more because its overwhelming and I dont care about what im collecting - I mean the "junk section" it feels like im literally just scavanging garbage. And the guns - why does literally every guy drop a gun? I have to stop on literally every kill to see if maybe the dropped a gun stronger than one of mine, and of course I cant check as I pick them up everytime so end up with 10 identacle guns in my inventory I have to scan through to find out what ones I need to scrap. Yeah scrap, because vendors are useless. Why do they exist? There isnt any point in buying guns, or food or drinks. And the health boosters? I pick up to many to use.

And the clothing - why do I only pick up clothing items that enemies werent wearing? Why is there just a random chance for them to drop a seemingly random clothing item.

The whole entire system is just totally garbage and by far the worst thing bar the bugs.

Honestly, I think all of the looting breaks the immersion of the game. That by far cannibalizes the game and conflicts with the design execution. I think somewhere corporate wanted a dopamine trigger against likely the better judgement of the designers. I think this needs to be reflected on and decide whether or not you want a Diablo experience or a Witcher 3 experience and try to avoid a mashup, you got to make trade-offs.

Choombas, the Witcher was the same way with the trinkets collecting and disassembling.
It was overwhelming at first, but after a while it wasn't so bad, and in the end, a bunch of that inventory could be sold for a hefty pile of coins.

We? I have 200 hours in witcher 3, but 7 years on path of exile. I love this loot system.

I like that the loot resembles a looter, that means when multiplayer arrives the foundation is in place to create a borderlands / destiny experience in terms of seek, destroy, loot, repeat. gameplay cycle. Complaining about loot being too abundant in an rpg. the iconic weapon exist for a reason, they have locked stat combinations and there are several for each weapon type, find one you like, upgrade it to legendary, problem solved.

Top Bottom