The loot system is garbage

+
I think an auto-loot from x radius of player toggle would settle the issue for most. Look at a game like warframe that has tons of loot but your little sidebot sucks it all up for you. Cyberpunk could use the same concept.

After thinking about it more i think the problem with the looting is exacerbated by the UI. So the UI is really then the main culprit. For instance i have many items that i want to keep in my inventory for a good while, like certain weapons that i want only for certain occasions. But then when i pick things up all the items that arent equipped get mixed up. And then it takes a while to figure out which items are which.

Been trying to think why i dont feel the same way with bethesda rpg's. It could be because i have played them so much i know what to pick up and what not, but i think there is more going on. Because i had the same problems with the outer worlds that i do with cyberpunk. Where looting and inventory management are more of a chore..

Could be because i know how bethesda design their games, where mostly good loot is only in certain places, like chests, so you dont have to look anywhere else. While in cyberpunk i just run around spamming the loot button because something useful can be found anywhere, even what may seem like a mundane container.

After thinking about it more i think the problem with the looting is exacerbated by the UI. So the UI is really then the main culprit. For instance i have many items that i want to keep in my inventory for a good while, like certain weapons that i want only for certain occasions. But then when i pick things up all the items that arent equipped get mixed up. And then it takes a while to figure out which items are which.

Been trying to think why i dont feel the same way with bethesda rpg's. It could be because i have played them so much i know what to pick up and what not, but i think there is more going on. Because i had the same problems with the outer worlds that i do with cyberpunk. Where looting and inventory management are more of a chore..

Could be because i know how bethesda design their games, where mostly good loot is only in certain places, like chests, so you dont have to look anywhere else. While in cyberpunk i just run around spamming the loot button because something useful can be found anywhere, even what may seem like a mundane container.
Yep. That's what I am saying. The problem is not the amount of loot but the amount of useful loot.

You can even clearly see the game made a conscious effort to make the player not look and loot everything with the highlighting stuff with the color of the rarity on the map and world.(uncommon stuff appear as green on the map and in the loot symbol, rare as blue, etc)

But the difference between levels and gear quality is so small that you can roll a good uncommon that is good enough, making you ignore/not need a possible upgrade for epic or legendary gear. So you still take a look at everything anyway because it CAN be better than your epic gear.

They need to widen the gap between good and bad gear and levels of gear. Enough to pressure the player to look for actual,big, upgrades instead of changing weapon A of 100 dps for weapon B of 102 dps.

Last edited:
My biggest gripe with loot is that there is a tremendous amount of lootable items that you simply cannot interact with. Even if it's on the floor with nothing within miles of it, you just never get the flyout to pick it up. Sometimes it's literally under another NPC, but you can't pick it up because that NPC is static and you get the interaction flyout for the NPC instead of whatever item you're looking at.

The further into the game you go, the less of an issue it is, unless it's a high quality drop that could be an upgrade or dismantled. Early on, it's frustrating when crafting resources are a tad scarce and you're scavenging everything you can lay hands on.

Or when it's something you need for a mission, and can't pick it up... I've had to do several reloads because of that. Not sure what causes it, unfortunately. I had to reload The Pickup three times before I could grab the damned flathead out of the box, because some dumb NPC always fell on top of the thing.. LOL

I dont really mind the loot so far in comparison to other games. it feels like most loot games where you get way too much loot. witcher i had a ton too though they didnt drop as much just the stuff that was constantly the same. in most of these type games you just go by the rarity. At this point in the story im basically ignoring normal and uncommon gear/weapons. if i see blue/organge i will check out. the problem for me is it seems like all im basing it on is the damage arrow it shows you on the weapon. like which one is an improvement in DPS over the one i have equipped. then i dont look at any others unless they have the green arrow. makes a lot of gear pretty useless and im just dismantling it or selling.

This may be futile since they have shareholders up their @$$...but

I wouldn't mind them working on the UI or improving the crafting, but I don't want them to *streamline* these systems or their future rpg games too much more.

If it bothers you, don't pick up the items.

This is a Wrpg with fps elements. This isn't even supposed to be like Borderlands or Destiny(fps games with rpg elements instead of the other way around).

Plenty of fps and action/adventure games out there.

I don't want them to go the way Bioware went with mass effect 2 and Dragon Age 2...basically getting rid of looting almost along with other systems to try and grab the shooter crowd.

CDPR has already streamlined a ton of rpg elements since their first Witcher game.

The fact you are in a big city and setting means there should be a lot of loot, but may some Quality of Life improvements should be introduced like "check a box": automatically sell all loot (to dropbox) on pickup, or deconstruct loot to components.

Honestly, it's exactly what I expected. Almost an exact replica of the TW3 loot mechanics. Granted, it feels like the TW3 loot mechanics with more junk loot. So it may not be fair to say it's exactly what I expected.

Personal opinion, it's bad and arguably lazy design. Good design would be placing loot into the game in a logical way where the pacing and progression isn't so fast you are bombarded with items at every turn but is quick enough where you feel like meaningful upgrades can be routinely acquired. This loot system is neither. Instead they sand blasted the world with junk everywhere and equipment raining from the sky.

First, i'll comment on the junk. Why is this still a thing in video games? I really want to know. As far as I can tell the junk in this game only serves two purposes. The first is to gain a small, steady supply of crafting materials. You could just as easily make crafting require fewer materials, cut out the junk and nobody would be the wiser. The second is it functions as an additional form of in-game currency. Again, you could just cut out the junk and make things cost less, make in-game currency easier to obtain or both.

Onto the gear.... So, I don't take issue with bad guys dropping equipment. They have weapons, armor, cyberware, whatever. It makes sense they would drop it. What I don't get, and this applies to the junk too, is finding weapons or equipment arbitrarily laying around in the street. In a container sitting in a logical place, sure. In the back of a truck shipping equipment, why not. Yet, it feels like I am constantly running into new shiny gear laying around where it logically would not be. You expect me to believe nobody picked it up before I got there?

Bottles of alcohol just sitting there for the taking. Money laying on the ground with NPC's standing 10 feet away. Drugs for an inhaler. Don't bother buying it just take a stroll down the street and you can satisfy all your drug needs. For a game touting the immersion card so aggressively I don't get it.

See, I can understand alcohol sitting around in a bar. What I don't get is why it needs to exist in the loot table. Put that stuff in there graphically and be done with it. Now sure, I don't have to loot it. It's still wasted space. Instead of trying to force another episode of Hoarders down my throat you could have, I don't know, devoted that effort to throwing a handful of miscellaneous activities into the game.

I don't mean to insult anyone in particular but this kind of stuff is just.... not cool. Yeah yeah, I realize it was probably done this way to create a distraction and a mountain of busy work so nobody would notice the game features this elegantly crafted world with little to do outside of combat and quests. Fun fact, some people can see through the smoke and mirrors. It's a dick move. I really wish someone had taken whomever thought this was reasonable and slapped them upside the head and said, "Gee, that could work but it's kind of a dick move. Maybe we should go in another direction?".

Itemization in this game is garbage, because items lack their own identity, branding and fabrication. Its like we are playing D3, shower you with loot until you reach jackpot, rinse and repeat see the number go big.

Itemization in this game is garbage, because items lack their own identity, branding and fabrication. Its like we are playing D3, shower you with loot until you reach jackpot, rinse and repeat see the number go big.
Yeah, it's absolute trash, but it seems to be the sort of trash that all the big studios want in their games these days. for some unholy reason. And you have people defending it in this very thread.
God, I hate this "looter" style of itemization so fucking much and it's only getting more common rather than more sparse.

Level requirements are trash too, by the way.

It seems like making itemization something that is just frequent enough to keep you interested/excited in getting some progression, without showering (or maybe DROWING) you with garbage is something modern designers can't be bothered with.
Inventory management needs to be a constant busywork, for some reason. Also, numbers! Everyone likes constantly growing numbers, amirite, guys? That dopamine effect of the skinner box.

I remember hating the way the Zelda-like progression system of Darksiders 1 was turned in a goddamn Diablo-clone with the direct sequel, but the phenomenon is not really sparing any other franchise/studio these days.

Needless to say, I couldn't disagree more with the people saying that "quantity is not a problem, it's just a matter of quality".

I call bullshit. Both are pretty damn terrible and if anything the first is the worst offender of the two.
Because "quality" wouldn't really be perceived as much of an issue if for every weapon model you just had the "standard damage", but nope... You are actually actively encouraged by the very game mechanics to waste your time comparing countless variations of the very same piece of trash.

So i don't know if its a bug or what but i store stuff like outfits in the cache and come back later and stuff that isn't iconic seems to get buffed over time without me doing anything like upgrading. For instance i just went to sell some stuff and i noticed V's favourite top now has an armour rating of like 32 when it was originally 5 or 6. I'm here scratching my head trying to figure out what the hell is going on cause the loot system in general is very cumbersome.

the loot system is one of the good points of this game... if you dont like picking stuff up, then just dont...

the abundance is for crafting, which you seemingly dont do as well..

Top Bottom