The loot system is garbage

+
here is one radical idea for those who dont like too much loot - dont pick it up... loot is colorized, you dont need to pick low quality items....

here is one radical idea for those who dont like too much loot - dont pick it up... loot is colorized, you dont need to pick low quality items....

Yeah, it really doesn't work, because to make money it's either picking white loot to sell, or crafting - which is worse, because the player is forced to patiently wait the bar to get full. To force the player to be stuck in crafting screen, to craft everything, one by one, while watching the bar getting full animation instead of spend time playing was a very poor decision (to be very generous to whoever came up with this "great" idea).

TBH, for me this inventory/combat/crafting/gathering poor system is only tolerated by the player when the curiosity to see what will happen next in the story is bigger than those problems. Now that I'm in my second playthrough, these problems are starting to piss me off.

white loot is extremely cheap, its not economical to sell it.. its better to dismantle it... you are always better off selling blue/green stuff...

white loot is extremely cheap, its not economical to sell it.. its better to dismantle it... you are always better off selling blue/green stuff...
Not true, the amount you get from disassembling is so poor, meanwhile every gig gives you enough weapons/clothing to make close to $10k credits. Some weapons selling for 400 credits, and you can buy components very cheaply from stores. By the time you need crafting materials you will have a million credits.

Not true, the amount you get from disassembling is so poor, meanwhile every gig gives you enough weapons/clothing to make close to $10k credits. Some weapons selling for 400 credits, and you can buy components very cheaply from stores. By the time you need crafting materials you will have a million credits.
I would agree that gigs turn around a lot of eddies. But you cant toss crafting aside completly, as it still is a money-printer in its own way if you take all the junk into account that gets scrapped over time.

I would not mind the looting so much if there was anything else to do. Now it is just going from exclamation point to expoint picking up loot to dismantle or sell, repeat, and that gets boring REALLY fast! And when there are`nt any real challenge to these gigs or whatever, and they are all kind of the same, at least I got that feel of it being like that, I just can`t go on playing.

Let me LIVE in this world a bit in between, but that is just pointless. No pachinko, no pool, no drinking, no nothing, just gigs and gigs and loot and gigs and shoot and loot and over and over and over and over.... After finishing the story once there are just NO incentive to play again, WTF?! Replayability My A**!

Hope to see some fix to the gameplay, immersion, but I am not what you would call hopefull....
I think this is the most dissapointing game I have ever come across, and I`ve been playing for 30 years. There was a game back in the early 90`s, but I can`t remember the name of it. Don`t really know yet, but I think CP2077 will stand out for years as a true disapointment, and that`s just sad...

I envy you people who love this game, lucky bastards!
Sorry for long post, just had to...

The thing OP said about downed eneimes dropping absolutely random and unrelated pieces of clothing is the most devastating thing to me. I can tolerate the entire looting system having problems concerning weapons/upgrade materials and whatnot, but the way they advertised fashion in this game and what we have now are two different things. You can't have the cool TT helmets/armor pieces, can't combine visors with masks, can't even cover your face at all, aside from the motorcycle helmets variations and even those are transparent for some reason. Shouldn't even be hard cause the models are in the game already, just slap some paint on them and give them to the player. The game doesn't even render your headgear when you're in first person - it drops it completely whenever you look in any mirror, you can clearly see its abundance in your own shadow and whenever you enter a vehicle and it zooms out you can see the split second it takes for it to load in on your bald head.

I just sell all my drops, no point using them even epics loose effectiveness after a few level and upgrading them is not work it, just craft some blues till you hit max level.

I would much like to see an auto loot function and some improvements to the inventory UI.

Shrinking the item icons and or being able to use a list view instead of a grid view would be great.

Being able to sort top to bottom instead of left to right would help prevent things from jumping around as you sell/stash.

I would like to be able to modify items (equip mods, scopes, etc) without having to equip the item first.

Tooltips off or smaller or perhaps docked on the side of the screen to help scanning for items more efficient.

I agree with other hoarders here that inventory management is a skill in itself in this game.

The thing OP said about downed eneimes dropping absolutely random and unrelated pieces of clothing is the most devastating thing to me. I can tolerate the entire looting system having problems concerning weapons/upgrade materials and whatnot, but the way they advertised fashion in this game and what we have now are two different things. You can't have the cool TT helmets/armor pieces, can't combine visors with masks, can't even cover your face at all, aside from the motorcycle helmets variations and even those are transparent for some reason. Shouldn't even be hard cause the models are in the game already, just slap some paint on them and give them to the player. The game doesn't even render your headgear when you're in first person - it drops it completely whenever you look in any mirror, you can clearly see its abundance in your own shadow and whenever you enter a vehicle and it zooms out you can see the split second it takes for it to load in on your bald head.
I dunno, I'm not really sure how the engine even handles gear... I mean, the enemies do at least drop the weapons they wield, so it theoretically should be possible for them to also drop their equipped clothes, like in a proper RPG. I don't think however, that most of the NPC only clothing and cosmetic cyberware components even have proper stats and inventory icons, like dedicated player gear has.

there is no point to reduce loot and items which most of them are there for the lore see the many beverages that do the same thing. Rather improve the loot system leveraging from what it has been done and making more meaningful towards the gameplay. Given the struggle we know they faced with the development of this game, could this just be their first working iteration of the system and that more is to come, who knows.

In my opinion the unwanted loot can stay on the floor, be disassembled on the spot (with an hotkey) or be collected and sold for money. Seems everyone has a choice here. Nobody complained that in Skyrim, and Beth Fallout everything is lootable.

The same garbage collection inventory system as it was in the witcher 3. It was a subject of jokes, nobody liked it, and here we go again. I really believe that to like such systems, you need to have hoarding disorder, and only a small fraction of people actually have this disease. Otherwise, the need to constantly collect junk and filter it out is just irritating. It is not a gameplay. It is not an interesting task to solve. It is just routine, which people don't like. People go into games to run away from repetitive everyday routines, to have some fun.

The second is the value of items. Not value measured in ingame currency, but value for the game and player. Most of items should be useful and they should make a player happy on discovery. In New Vegas, when you find a cool, unique, and powerful gun, it is an event. It is something. You get an item, it is useful, you can keep it forever and have fun with it as long as you like. Every piece of armor, every gun has some place in the game.

In cyberpunk I get 20 identical revolvers in one hour, don't even try to convince me that these are different guns, just because they have different stats. It is the same model of a gun, same look, same name, the only thing I can see - a lazy witcher 3 loot designer is trying to fool me and pretends that there are 1000 times more guns in the game than it is.

I am totally okay, if the game has the quite humble amount of things. I am not okay, when the game is trying to overwhelm me with the same item stacked in an endless pile of junk.

I wonder why mud crabs carry gold coins ... or any loot? Yeah, loot systems are garbage. Let's burn the whole world down. Burn Corpo shit.
Eat the rich

How does Mario carry all the gold coins? What about Sonic the Hedgehog? How does Pacman eat all those pellets when they cumulatively mass more than he does? Garbage! They're all Garbage! totally unrealistic! Worst Games ever!
My car never ever runs out of fuel in GTA ... it's soo unrealistic. It's all Garbage!

All these toilets in all these games and i never once get to poop in any of them! All the games are trash!

... point being; in my opinion, trifling over the loot system, and calling it garbage is pretty much garbage itself.

Some systems allow for fashion-plate Barbie dress-up mechanics where, everything a character wears and carries can be looted. We had that in Skyrim 1000 years ago ... but, we don't have it in lots of other games. I don't remember seeing it in Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, The Witcher, Dishonored, Deus Ex, Metal Gear, and so so so many other games.
This game will never ever be everything thatabsolutely everyone wants.

If you want more "realism' ... wait another decade, maybe two decades when AI-assisted development cycles for virtual worlds and games is sopisticated ... enough to give the fashion-plate Barbie loot system of your dreams.

Last edited:
It's just a grinding mechanic. Most of us don't like it. Thankfully there's an ability to break down all looted junk. I'd also like a perk that breaks down all looted weapons and clothing, but also with the ability of turning it off if I see something I want to keep. I think that would help a bit.

I dislike the over-emphasis on loot. You rarely if ever use items dropped by random mobs anyway. The crafting mechanics builds into this craze. The perks promote crafting to disassemble, indeed the ultimate perk (if it even works) encourages evermore looting to do evermore crafting. Ironically, the game engine is so flawed you are likely to corrupt your save games if you really embrace the CDPR grind.

It's just a grinding mechanic. Most of us don't like it. Thankfully there's an ability to break down all looted junk. I'd also like a perk that breaks down all looted weapons and clothing, but also with the ability of turning it off if I see something I want to keep. I think that would help a bit.
You are thinking of the quality of life SCRAPPER perk. Many choose not to take it as you lose eddies on it automatically disassembling actual valuable "junk" (750 e). A fix could be for it *not* to touch valuable junk, or even better, make valuable junk break down into epic/legendary components. A second tier of the level could handle hydration AND food items by either disassembling or turning it into water/cat food. A third tier for trash weapons/armor AND grenades.

Last edited:
And the guns - why does literally every guy drop a gun? I have to stop on literally every kill to see if maybe the dropped a gun stronger than one of mine, and of course I cant check as I pick them up everytime so end up with 10 identacle guns in my inventory I have to scan through to find out what ones I need to scrap.
Recently I finished Deus EX Mankind Divided and came to conclusion that they should take inspiration from that game, not Borderlands. In DE each enemy drop weapon with the same stats (pistol, machine gun are always the same etc.). The only difference between player's and enemies' guns are modifications. There is always too little ammo and there are different types of it. That would make CP more immersive, realistic and on par with PnP core version.

The same garbage collection inventory system as it was in the witcher 3. It was a subject of jokes, nobody liked it, and here we go again. I really believe that to like such systems, you need to have hoarding disorder, and only a small fraction of people actually have this disease. Otherwise, the need to constantly collect junk and filter it out is just irritating. It is not a gameplay. It is not an interesting task to solve. It is just routine, which people don't like. People go into games to run away from repetitive everyday routines, to have some fun.

I can only deduce that there is some higher-up in CDPR who thinks this as an essential element of "true RPG"s. And CDPR is really stubborn about this kind of stuff as they are still doing it after all the criticism.

I still haven't figured out what this "true RPG" even means..

You clearly never played Fallout, and if you did you've probably put it down quick.

First and foremost, you are not obliged to pick everything up.
What I do agree with to some extend is that the options its used for is slightly small and the UI may need a touchup.
But the reasoning that 'its too much' doesnt make it bad.

Top Bottom