The massive downgrading of premium cards

+

Guest 4368268

So in addition to making meteorite powder more expensive (twice as expensive in some parts of the world) they've also simultaneously decided to downgrade (more) premium animations. What a disgrace. At this point Gwent Homecoming is just similar to the Warcraft III 'Reforged' disaster. It's one thing that they released lesser qualities premiums as of late that people can actually choose whether they'd wanna spend money on it or not, but to reduce in quality items people have already paid for? Oh and of course, no dev stream would have ever mentioned this. It gets the hush-hush treatment.

When I played the Witcher 3 (+ DLC) it was such a good experience for a low prize it felt like stealing. Gwent now has the opposite feeling. Investing money into one thing and the developers casually turn it into something else completely. Sure, they'll have every legal right etc. not gonna argue with that. But it's so incredibly uncongenial to do. People buy high quality boards and cards and then when the purchase is made they just downgrade it. This is even worse than when they reduced the gore in specific cards (rather than to just introduce a filter for adolescents)

Here's a prime example: https://gwent.one/video/card/premium/200083.mp4 (Iris Companions) feel free to compare this to the current in-game version. They simply changed it to the running premium animation (meaning it barely does anything) rather than the complete, original one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wondering...
Have you ever realised that premium cards worth same much as they normal ones in the game?
They "SHINY!" for sure. Anything else? Nope?
Its like buying the legendary $200 CS:GO knife... Yes you can but your money wont make your deck stronger.
Posts like this make PPL yelling about P2W.

Agreed the new version of Plaque Maiden with the cartoonish rats looks kind of awful too.

My Old Speartip(13p) and Living Armor Premiums doesn't even show any animation anymore (at least in the Deckbuilder haven't tried them ingame) anyone else with the same problem or is it just a bug on my end?

Payus

Forum regular
Is it me or Treason's Premium is static now? The only difference between the premium and non premium is a knife sound.

Is it me or Treason's Premium is static now? The only difference between the premium and non premium is a knife sound.
No mine is also not animated maybe they temporarily? disabled some animations.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
This is some serious BS.

First, because the Gwent dev team didnt even mention these changes for the worse at all, only commented on them after they were confronted with them.

Second, because the game has gotten more bugs and less content and balance changes after the transition to new mobile platforms, and it sucks for the PC players, some which have stuck with this game for over 3 years, to now be relegated to second plan.

Third, and on a personal note - oh the irony, im finally getting my full premium collection today, which is a state i lost when Crimson Curse came out and only getting it back now... just when ALL the Premiums are looking worse... :sad:

rrc

Forum veteran
OK, I checked just now (after the hotfix) and I don't understand what you guys are talking about. In fact, I was going through all my Legendary cards (which are all animated), and found that Muzzle had been improved a lot. I mean, the current animation is fantastic. Previously it used to be just camera movement and eyes doing something weird. But now, it look simply awesome with hair movements. May be the hotfix fixed the issues you guys are talking about. But I can't see any downgrade of the animation.

[Iris Companion is of course, nerfed in animation as mentioned by OP, but I am not sure if it was done now or a long time back, since my brain just skips that card in deckbuilder]

OK, I checked just now (after the hotfix) and I don't understand what you guys are talking about. In fact, I was going through all my Legendary cards (which are all animated), and found that Muzzle had been improved a lot. I mean, the current animation is fantastic. Previously it used to be just camera movement and eyes doing something weird. But now, it look simply awesome with hair movements. May be the hotfix fixed the issues you guys are talking about. But I can't see any downgrade of the animation.

[Iris Companion is of course, nerfed in animation as mentioned by OP, but I am not sure if it was done now or a long time back, since my brain just skips that card in deckbuilder]

I was looking at ST legendaries I have (only ones I really care about), and Vernossiel looks real goofy, and I thought Barnabas did too and maybe the Oak. Some still looks fine, though, like Feint Death and Aglais, and Isengrim, so idk.

rrc

Forum veteran
Compare old Saskia with the one you have in Game and you probably understand what we are talking about. https://gwent.one/video/card/premium/200209.mp4

The missing animations of old Speartip, Living Armor and Treachery are now working again after the hot fix.
You guys have very sharp eyes! Now I see it. Even though the overall details seem to be the same, a lot of minor details are gone. For example, in the video you sent, the flames at the bottom is so real and fantastic. But currently what I see in-game is just an yellow-orange shade. What a shame!

Why would they do this? Doesn't seem like some 'lets make it politically correct for every country and tone down violence, gore, and glamour' logic. This doesn't achieve anything, but to simply reduce the quality of the animations! I don't understand.

This doesn't achieve anything, but to simply reduce the quality of the animations! I don't understand.

The change is probably good for mobile. High quality animations are expensive in terms of performance / memory requirements.

I don't like the way Ithlinne has changed. I don't know if the change is recent, though. It looks more cartoonish, with all those poor-rendered violet leaves.

Vernossiel looks real goofy

That one is really bad. :shrug:

I'll say again that previous premium Saskia was one of my favourite cards.

The new version looks pretty bad in comparison - the fire effect is so watered down.

I would hope that the old art still exists and can at least be made into a PC only patch/DLC or something.

Top Bottom