The Modding Community

+
[Sard Edit: I HAVE REMOVED SOME UNNEEDED HYPERBOLE. Have a discussion, do not throw out accusations. Or, you know, rapidly you will be unable to communicate your dissatisfaction around here at all.]

---------- Updated at 12:18 AM ----------

You make a good point. 30 mods per page, multiplied 178 pages (not counting the last one) totals 5340.

indeed, that's the power of hype, and better moddabiity, right there.

Power of hype? F4 was announced in mid July and released in November of the same year (2015). If you want to talk about power of hype then look no further than our dear CDPR launching 40 separate marketing campaigns in multiple countries for TW3 and announcing the game in 2013. Check the video for investors that CDPR released about a month after TW3's launch.

I haven't seen a single TV ad for Fallout 4 yet I've seen a bunch for TW3. Besides TW3 had a whole load of localizations at launch while F4 is exclusively Enlgish.

[Sard Edit: ^^ this is much better. Facts, data and a cogent argument. This discussion style we like, my children. Could do without the "dear CDPR" snark, though. Unless it's funny.]

Last edited by a moderator:
because that demo was not yet optimized, the only stuff that the demo has and the final game does not are : water physic, a higher quality geralt model, volumetric clouds , all the rest is art direction and coloring, so yeah if you think these 3 things would require you 3 titan x, you are out of your mind

and in many ways vanilla can go way higher than what was shown in the demo, and yet you'll not burn your GC ,also there was no hairwork back then, that alone free you some serious headroom

even at ultra settings you still have a crapload of headroom that you can allocate to other things, the game is really well optimized, but unfortunately they cant afford having a build for PC and another for consoles

Again, I'm not in the know-how, as nicely put by our dear Blue Agent, but if CDPR said that what they did and introduced in that E3 2013 was clearly not working for open world, I have no reasons not to believe them : and I mean : it was a few scenes, under a carefully chosen lighting. Nothing dynamic there. The only thing I truly and wholeheartedly agree is this stupid draw distance : good thing you were here to remove it, and now, anyone with a bit of modding ability can use a vanilla profile without the draw distance.
The rest, is as you say it, art directions, and we probably have as many different taste as people.

---------- Updated at 08:07 AM ----------

Umm, only 30 mods? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/? And you are wrong about the quality of the mods. I am as big a TW3 fan as there is. But spreading falsehoods about the FO4 modding scene is just plain wrong.

You missed a point, or I didn't make it clear : I was merely sampling the last 30 mods, never said there were only 30 mods.

@Nolenthar i was referring to the 2014 build only, its the only build were we saw for the first time real time game play, they never released the E3 2013 build footage, only trailers, so its not fair to judge and compare that to vanilla, its unclear how much was cutscene, how much was pre rendered and how much was straight in engine, that infamous particle system was probably already gone from 2014 build

with the 2014 build footage you can easily make 1:1 comparison to vanilla

Last edited:
@Nolenthar i was referring to the 2014 build only, its the only build were we saw for the first time real time game play, they never released the E3 2013 build footage, only trailers, so its not fair to judge and compare that to vanilla, its unclear how much was cutscene, how much was pre rendered and how much was straight in engine, that infamous particle system was probably already gone from 2014 build

To be fair, I have hard time finding high quality video demonstrating that build. Compressed video makes everything look fuzzy, even in HD. Any hint ?

i have an uncompressed video of 5.2gb of that 37mn demo demo, got it from this website : http://www.gamersyde.com/game_videos_2651_en.html but i cant find it anymore there :(

I have it too, downloaded from gamersyde. They dont keep videos up for long nowdays i think. Watching that video is what made me get into the witcher games, didnt actually played 1 and 2. In lighting, your mod is as close as we can get to that gameplay. Finished the game long back without any mods and still loved it. GOTY for me.

Power of hype? F4 was announced in mid July and released in November of the same year (2015). If you want to talk about power of hype then look no further than our dear CDPR launching 40 separate marketing campaigns in multiple countries for TW3 and announcing the game in 2013. Check the video for investors that CDPR released about a month after TW3's launch.

I haven't seen a single TV ad for Fallout 4 yet I've seen a bunch for TW3. Besides TW3 had a whole load of localizations at launch while F4 is exclusively Enlgish.
when i said "power of hype", it's not just Ads, or merchandising, but it's made by the fans of bethesda games. fans have have been dying for a new fallout ever since FO3 and FO:NV, and were anticipating it for YEARS, waiting for a single drop of info, and then E3 2015 announcement happened. Fallout shelter, and other gimmicky stuff as well as merchandising and online marketing campaign, only made the hype grow stronger.
in addition, considering there's an already established modding community for their games, which is at its peak thanks to spike in popularity in mods with skyrim, made everyone jump on it, fans and regular gamers, as well as casuals alike (just check the number of custom made characters submitted as "mods", which is HUGE).
in addition, FO4 isn't even a good game, let alone a good Fallout. heck! it's not even a good RPG.
the game is brewing with filler content (about 60% of the content is filler i'd say), and the settlement building is just there to hide that very fact. it's even more bland and generic than skyrim ever was, and barely has any substance in it. it boggles my mind to just think on what they've been doing these 7-8 years of development cycle , considering how bad the content of the game is. the only response i can think of is that they spent their budget on marketing.

and you know what ? if they changed the names of the factions and other few things here and there, then took the name of Bethesda off of the game, as well as "Fallout 4", i bet every penny i have that the game would have NEVER got the praise it had, neither the amount of interrest by the modding community.

oh and Fallout 4 still supports multiple languages:

on the other, CDPR is, not only a relatively young gaming studio, but a "big" indie company, and have nowhere the same resources as Bethesda softworks have. in addition, the interrest in their games only begun recently when you think about it, and they just entered the modding scene (3 years now since the release of the first REDkit now).

Attachments

• F4 languages.jpg
    F4 languages.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
To be fair, I have hard time finding high quality video demonstrating that build. Compressed video makes everything look fuzzy, even in HD. Any hint ?

@Nolenthar, there you go - https://mega.nz/#!oYdiQRjb!LvZS4Bfc7pp4JmcTej1pYpdUjA5A1xcYeHKLK37wCfs. Enjoy!

@web-head91, my bad was wrong on that account - I only have original English version or probably didn't pay attention when installing it because I don't need it in any other language.

---------- Updated at 01:13 AM ----------

in addition, FO4 isn't even a good game, let alone a good Fallout. heck! it's not even a good RPG.

Well, that's just like your opinion, man. I haven't had any expectations about the game unlike with TW3 so exploring the world after nuclear war is fine by me. At least you can explore the world, clear out places and then actually finish quests that take place in the locations you've already cleared plus no handholding there - you're free to go wherever you want to go without any GPS system.

I remember the whole immersion being ruined for me in TW3 in this side-quest on Skellige to find a lost bride, stumbled upon it after doing Lambert's quest with some thug that used to be in a gang that killed Lambert's witcher buddy. There was this wyvern on a hill and a big tree with corspes close by. They were two brothers of the quest giver. And I couldn't use Witcher sense and progress with the quest unless I first took the quest from the quest-giver (husband-to-be). That was the one of those very irritating moments: here I stumble upon something mysterious and then I can't even figure out the etchings on the tree because I haven't taken the quest to find the wife yet. Plus you need to specifically find the quest giver, WTF.
In F4 at least if you did something and then take a quest then you can easily say that you've completed the quest on your own volition and the get the reward without rreplaying the whole thing over again.

Last edited:
I'll also say I like, (really like) Fallout 4, regardless of what nearly-meaningless definition is applied to it and find their mods to be quickly useful and also fun.

If Witcher 3 mods are eventually half as varied, that would please me. And not just because I can put Geralt in Space Wolves Armour. But also that.

I'll also say I like, (really like) Fallout 4, regardless of what nearly-meaningless definition is applied to it and find their mods to be quickly useful and also fun.

If Witcher 3 mods are eventually half as varied, that would please me. And not just because I can put Geralt in Space Wolves Armour. But also that.

Irrelevant of taste there, no one should be expected to like Fallout 4 for the same reasons he / she likes The Witcher 3. Fallout 4 is a decent game, won't be a GOTY I believe, but it's still a very decent and fun game (and fun is why we play in the first place ?), but you cannot really compare it to The Witcher 3. Apples and Peers, sir, let it be for modding (old engine, sand box) than for gaming (meaningless main story, repetitive side stories). Doesn't make it a bad game what so ever.

@Sardukhar, I really wish there were a "Dislike" button around here. Some people just can't help pooping all over somebody else's opinions while treating theirs' as absolute and unquestionable truth.

Last edited:
@Sardukhar, I really wish there were a "Dislike" button around here. Some people just can't help pooping all over somebody else's opinions while treating theirs' as absolute and unquestionable truth.

Yes and that person is me! MUwahahahahahahah! Wait, where was I? Oh, yes, Merry Christmas!

We've debated such a button but feel it would create too much bitterness. I recommend polite disagreement, a nice counter-argument such as you used before, or one of the following:

look kind Sir, all i did was explain what i meant by "power of hype" and why so many people are into FO4, general audience and modders. what i said may have a few things wrong here and there, but there are facts you can't dispute no matter what you do.

now, if expressing my thoughts based on data acquired from players, and my own experience, means that i am "pooping" over your subjective opinion bothers you, then that's your problem. besides, we're debating here on the subject of modding in general, and Bethesda's games happened to be brought. if you wish to debate more on why you think FO4 isn't as bad as i make it out to be, then please go to this thread, i even wrote my own review: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/45195-Fallout-4?p=1982824&viewfull=1#post1982824

Now, can we get back to main the subject ?

thanks in advance. :)

look kind Sir, all i did was explain what i meant by "power of hype" and why so many people are into FO4, general audience and modders. what i said may have a few things wrong here and there, but there are facts you can't dispute no matter what you do.

And that is FINE. You are always welcome to do that here. My advice to Big applies to evvvvveryone, including him! Your polite disagreement was textbook, web. Nicely done.

This -is- a Discussion Forum, My children, and as such, we must discuss! This includes disagreement, of course. People are free to think FO4 sucks hard, sucks long and sucks without respite. Also its Mods. This is allowed!

Or even -gasp- that Witcher sucks! But then, of course, I will have set fire to them. How sad. FWOOSH!

What an excellent idea!

now, if expressing my thoughts based on data acquired from players, and my own experience, means that i am "pooping" over your subjective opinion bothers you, then that's your problem. besides, we're debating here on the subject of modding in general, and Bethesda's games happened to be brought. if you wish to debate more on why you think FO4 isn't as bad as i make it out to be, then please go to this thread, i even wrote my own review: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/45195-Fallout-4?p=1982824&viewfull=1#post1982824

Now I wasn't speaking about you in that post of mine that you quoted, but rather of Nolenthar. WHOM I ADORE AS A BROTHER IN WITCHER 3.

[Sard Edit: Tch tch. Sweeping accusations of faecal matter! No no! Also, Nol called FO4 a decent and fun game. NOt that he had to.]

I'd have to decline your proposition to read your review of F4 since I haven't finished the game yet and don't like things spoiled for me.

P.S. TW3 sucks in some of the key moments and it's far from perfect as some people make it out to be.Touche.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to spoil your fun, everyone -- including you, Sard -- but wasn't there a topic somewhere around here? I think it had something to do with the fate of the modding community for The Witcher III? If there's not much more to say on this particular subject at present, perhaps now is an appropriate time for a wee break.

If I recall well, CDPR mentionned, when they were asked about the "dumb down" graphics, that their previous build simply wouldn't work with current machines. It wouldn't be playable. And I can surely believe it. When TW3 was released, you needed a GTX 980 or Titan (the Ti was not released yet) to run TW3 at an average of 60 fps or more in 1080p Ultra with Hairworks on (source : http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages..._review,1.html / http://www.techspot.com/review/1006-...-3-benchmarks/). To play it in 4K, you new a 2 or 3 way sli of 980 ti. So not only it would have made console performance harder to achieve, but it would have meant PC gamers wouldn't have been able to do it either with current hardware generation.

Whenever this discussion comes around i really dislike people saying you would need a super computer to run the game how it looked from late 2014 because it ran terribly on release, its rationalization used to stifle discussion. We dont know what happened during development beyond speculation, and it could be that they needed to get the best performance possible on console before release but in my humble opinion its quite clear the game wasn't optimised for pc much at all. Take a look at your own link, or second graph down here. http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-Spiel-38488/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1159196/. If any other game came out using the same build on each platform and performed that bad on a titan x my warning lights would be flashing port, couldn't even breach 50fps on a 980. Not forgetting that this was the same build at the same resolution as the PS4 with graphic cards alone costing twice, sometimes three times the price.

It also requires one 980 TI for 4k at ultra 60fps after optimisation which only further illustrates this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_d5iXv7rOw

Last edited:
Top Bottom