The most Cyberpunk-ish City IRL?

+
Hi there guys, Just wanted to make a thread about real life inspiration to Cyberpunk's city settings. It should be fun to see the aspects of everyone's version of the cyberpunk-ness in your city or where you used to visited or even in your imagination!

As for me, I lived in Bangkok now but used to live in Brooklyn for several years. New York City sure has it's Cyberpunk charm but in my opinion it's still "too clean" . Where in Bangkok it's a total Cyberpunk package, it's a city of vices, neon lights and dangling wires everywhere! (actually too much)

This is the cool areal view of Bangkok
01.Mahanakhonrr.jpg

The abstract looking "Mahanakhon Tower" is my personal favorite. Could be Arasaka HQ or something of the sort.

Soi-Cowboy.jpg.jpg

One of many Bangkok's Red-ight district "Soy Cowboy" (translated to cowboy's alley) is well known for shooting a cyberpunk scene in a budget movie.

0004_wiresrr.jpg

A familial sight, electric wires dangling out unpolitely in many of Bangkok's intersections. Very cyberpunk!

chinatown-nightlife.jpg

The street never sleeps, Bangkok's China Town offers fantastic foods 24/7.

a62d2056234513.59a608e2f3303ttrr.jpg

"Fast fix", a bike repair shop in the back alley will fix your bike for a cheap and always negotiable price. Although.. sometimes they will switch out the good part of your bike with a bad one so you have to come back for more repairs.

And that's my city Bangkok! Pretty Cyberpunk right? Please let me know what's your most Cyberpunk-ish city! I just know there are many good ones out there in the world!

Love the photos and the idea!
let me see if the Netherlands (Utrecht) has some Cyberpunk vibes left..
I know 15 years ago they had some.... i post them if i find it..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hal_Hoog_Catharijne.jpg

no neon nor LED but the architecture is futuristic form the 1970
(it is gone now) new inner city plan
Stekker-005.jpg

this is a Techno party in the 'Tunnel' it is under the Hoog Catharijne (Utrecht) Mall. in the mid '80 and '90's it was a place where the drugs addicts came shelter, drugs and a place to sleep. It was also the place where all the trucks came to replenish the shops. but now it is closed off and 'Stekker' threw a party.

EMxn5rUyBi5j5WiqtsthuaINgaiKNv0ZOVjQwBJj0iU06OnDziHSTOaiiYzY0VTn4BiC7gs2048-2.jpg

without the party people.

tunnel-winkel-van-sinkel-e1498572269483.jpg

around 600 years old tunnel.. but with some nice lights to make it look happy, instead of scary (what is previous was)

Utrecht is not a good place to Cyberpunk it.. if you had ask it in the Witcher forum... i had tons.. :)

Last edited:
Love the photos and the idea!
let me see if the Netherlands (Utrecht) has some Cyberpunk vibes left..
I know 15 years ago they had some.... i post them if i find it..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 10978082
no neon nor LED but the architecture is futuristic form the 1970
(it is gone now) new inner city plan
View attachment 10978085
this is a Techno party in the 'Tunnel' it is under the Hoog Catharijne (Utrecht) Mall. in the mid '80 and '90's it was a place where the drugs addicts came shelter, drugs and a place to sleep. It was also the place where all the trucks came to replenish the shops. but now it is closed off and 'Stekker' threw a party.

View attachment 10978088
without the party people.

View attachment 10978091
around 600 years old tunnel.. but with some nice lights to make it look happy, instead of scary (what is previous was)

Utrecht is not a good place to Cyberpunk it.. if you had ask it in the Witcher forum... i had tons.. :)

That techno party looks awesome! Never been to the Netherlands but always wanted to go there.

show us the photos from Detroit then!! :)

and i want to add Shenzhen and Hong Kong
hokkog.jpg

this is Hong Kong. as you can see it has more blue that it should be.. but it makes it a bit more Cyberpunky as well :)

shenzeee.jpeg

And this is Shenzhen. The 30 year old tier 1 city in China next to Hong Kong (it is older then 30 years but back then they had around 30.000 people and now..almost 13.000.000)

ps. plz. show us your Cyberpunk Town :)
pss. we all know and love neon. but it is more dangerous and expensive then LED. soo plz be not surprised and disappointed when you see LED instead of neon in Cyberpunk 2077.

Last edited:
Visually, Tokyo is quite the cyberpunk city. In fact, many people who work on cyberpunk style games, get most of their inspiration from Tokyo. While the birds eye view of Tokyo looks clean and ordinary, you have to get on ground level to see why this city is really cool.

25.jpg

I mean, just look at all of the advertisements in just this picture alone.

26.jpg

More advertisements. There are so many in fact, that most of the street's lighting comes from the advertisements illumination.

24.jpg

This picture is quite cool, and possibly resembles the best image of the cyberpunk genre in Tokyo.

23.jpg

Also there's this metro monorail that passed through residential building in Chongqing, China. Semms like they did this to save the space of the constantly growing city.

3E6D7F8B00000578-0-image-a-169_1489973015971.jpg

3E6D7F9A00000578-0-image-a-171_1489973033311.jpg

3E6D7FA600000578-0-image-a-167_1489973003613.jpg

Very Cyberpunk kind of idea, also the city itself looks pretty neat!

There's some nice Cyberpunk scene in this city.

Even though it may not have the verticality, my hometown of Adelaide definitely gives off Blade Runner vibes since it has a lot of old buildings, neon and density. It also has that high tech low life aspect to match as Adelaide is a city dedicated to the sciences with a high Asian population and lots of crime. It's also the birthplace of megalomaniac NewsCorp founder Rupert Murdoch and a corrupt and bureaucratic government indebted to corpos whose tower rises above all others. How's that for cyberpunk!!!!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1537854229249.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537854229249.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 756
  • FB_IMG_1537854217744.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537854217744.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 824
  • FB_IMG_1537854210806.jpg
    FB_IMG_1537854210806.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 778
  • Peter-Barnes-SAHMRI1-850x455.jpg
    Peter-Barnes-SAHMRI1-850x455.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 706
  • images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 710
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 769
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,327
I'm curious, what part of Hong Kong is this? Everything is written in Korean.

https://www.booooooom.com/2017/08/15/ultraviolet-break-of-day-photos-by-marcus-wendt/
(the original website for this photo)
but i found it on an other website and there they said is was Hong Kong.. so it is Hong Kong or Shenzhen..

and look at this!!
https://www.behance.net/gallery/52599095/Ultraviolet-Break-of-Day
Post automatically merged:

Even though it may not have the verticality, my hometown of Adelaide definitely gives off Blade Runner vibes since it has a lot of old buildings, neon and density. It also has that high tech low life aspect to match as Adelaide is a city dedicated to the sciences with a high Asian population and lots of crime. It's also the birthplace of megalomaniac NewsCorp founder Rupert Murdoch and a corrupt and bureaucratic government indebted to corpos whose tower rises above all others. How's that for cyberpunk!!!!

Good thing Murdoch didn't get SKY. or GB would go down the hill just like USA with that suggestive storytelling, propaganda and false 'facts'. :)

love the 2nd photo! little fact.. that blue light in the doorway is against drugs users. it prevents them to find their veins.

Last edited:
show us the photos from Detroit then!! :)

and i want to add Shenzhen and Hong Kong
View attachment 10978109
this is Hong Kong. as you can see it has more blue that it should be.. but it makes it a bit more Cyberpunky as well :)

Agreed, I often visit Hong Kong and parts of it are cyberpunk as phuk :cool: In between the gleaming corporate towers, there are some alleyways in TST that might well hide the premises of nefarious Ripper Docs... :LOL:

Top Bottom