The most mature and realistic game ever!

+
The most mature and realistic game ever!

And then there's the strong 35+ male audience -- "basically people who have some professional, or should I say emotional, ties to trucking or transportation industry typically," Sebor notes.

He continues, "We have very little traction in the age group in-between, everybody there is too busy fragging each other in Call of Duty. We have more adult players than we have pre-teen and teen players really."

Yes, it's EURO TRUCK SIMULATOR 2! In all seriousness, though, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on video games marketing/PR. "Mature" must be one of the most overused (and misused) words in marketing nowadays - and that includes the TW series. Of course, it touches on some more serious topics than many of its peers, but it's still an entertaining fantasy game. It's not the worst misuse of the word, though: I can't see how Mass Effect, for all its merits or faults, can be understood as anything other than a 'space hero adventure'.

And then there's 'realism', a concept which is completely foreign to almost all video games and to almost no PR employees. Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc., are not only devoid of realism, the very reason anyone would want to play a 'shooter' is because of its lack of realism. No-one needs a realistic game. A game is about leaving the rules and everyday truths of the 'real world' and immersing yourself in one that's not bound by these restrictions.

Anyone have any other marketing pet peeves to share? I for one wouldn't mind if no-one in video games marketing would ever use the words 'mature' and 'realistic' anymore, as if they're trying to sell a truck simulator game. I don't know about the 'mainstream audience', but I'd much rather play as a grumpy monster-slayer than drive farming equipment around.

Well they did explain that the core market for these games is in Europe. People in Europe have slightly different ideas about gaming than in the US. Even though I really enjoy playing RPGs, and war games like Total War, I do run my Train Simulator on occasion just for something different.

For simulators the term "realistic" is not bad for adverts. My pet peeve when it comes to video game marketing is the graphics hype. Not to get into the whole graphics discussion. I mean where the adverts are saying buy this game because of the graphics, not because of the game itself. They basically say "Buy this game it's the worst game evah made in the history of mankind, but the graphics are awesomesauce so buy it!"

Top Bottom