THE MOST PATHETIC Faction Gold in Gwent

+

rrc

Forum veteran
There are many neutral Golds that are pathetic and is too conditional that it can't be used ever in ranked mode (unless you are memeing). Lambert comes to my mind first along with CiriNova, one of the best animated cards in Gwent, and Vainglory.. But there is always a defense against Neutrals being bad; that is, they are neutrals, they should be bad. But I want to talk about Faction Golds which are pathetic. There are a lot of faction golds which don't see play because there are better alternatives in the faction. Some are vulnerable in a combo (like Vattier; which is an incredibly powerful card, but is vulnerable for removal and needs a locked unit). These cards can win you a game when the opponent doesn't expect them. I am not talking about those cards. I want to discuss about cards which are functionally pathetic, and nearly unusable.

Honorable Mentions:
Jotunn - He would work in a no-unit deck and with the nerf to no-unit deckbuilding, he doesn't have an place. Even though he breaks even if opponent has two more units than you, he is still bad, functionally.
Ermion - There are no good Alchemy cards. Golden Forth was worth a tutor and after it got nerfed and Wolfsbane got nerfed (rightfully so), Ermion has become junk as there is no card worth tutoring by him.
Hattori - 3 points deficiency to play a bronze artifact on order - he was kind of usable when artifacts were uber powerful (like Spears and Shields). After they got nerfed, he became ever more useless and pathetic.
Gremist - Same as above; When Golden Forth was powerful, he kind of made sense. But after all alchemy cards were nerfed, he has nothing worthy to play and that too on order.

Serious contender:
Ceallach Dyfrrin - What are you going to purify in NG which is worth purifying? In the age of "all cards should bring more value than their provision cost" having -2 and purifying the cards on the row it gets played is just junk. Just see Coodcudak; he breaks even and can purify two units; that is the most you may need purifying.

Undefeated Champion:
Ele'yas:
The most pathetic card design-wise and functionality-wise in the entire game. What would be your game plan with this card? Are you going to boost yourself and spam or are you going to have a lot of damage cards and try to have more units that are damaged? You can't do both; your units would either boost self or allies or damage the enemy. Even then, how can you be sure what the opponent will do? What if the opponent has more units that are boosted? What if your units are damaged? This is the only gold card which has the potential to be played for negative value on the board and having 9 provisions (This actually happened; I tried a Fila deck with Isengrim and elves, but in the end there were most boosted enemies and damaged allies and I had to put that card in the graveyard and Pass to accept the defeat).

So, if there is an award called "The absolute piece of sh*t", this card will get it without any competition, hands down. With the same ability, I would not add it in my deck even if it is a 5 provision card (5 Power, 5 Provisions) because there is no damn way your strategy alone can get you positive value. You may go with 'boost them all' and the opponent may also have such deck and you may end up playing for a negative value. Same applies if you go with 'damage them all'. This card just can't work as it depends on what the opponent brings and does.

This card should get a totally different ability or at the least be changed to something like this: 5 Power, 6 Provisions ; Boost all boosted allies by 1 and Damage all damaged allies by 1. Until then, whenever I see this card, I would always get disgusted.

What in your opinion is the worst pathetic PoS faction gold functionally?

I have wanted to make a thread with an exhaustive list of horrible cards but I mostly don't have the time and I would have to have the deck builder open on my xbox to do it since there is no good source online of all the cards.

The bottom line is that there are too many cards being unused due to bad design or dated design. Ciri Nova is a great example. I said after they made the nerf to no unit decks that this card would need to be immediately changed because as far as I can tell it is now impossible to use effectively.

After all of these years on this game my big conclusion is that CDPR has a lot of management issues and Gwent has suffered as a result. The development doesn't have a logical progression it's just a bunch of crunch time craziness where they throw junk at the wall to see if it sticks and if it doesn't they scrap it and start over.

After all of these years on this game my big conclusion is that CDPR has a lot of management issues and Gwent has suffered as a result. The development doesn't have a logical progression it's just a bunch of crunch time craziness where they throw junk at the wall to see if it sticks and if it doesn't they scrap it and start over.
Indeed. That's my impression too.

They are doing balancing 'by piece' - change a few cards here and there, add a few new mechanics and every change leads to other things being useless/broken/unusable. It's kind of how it goes in this type of games if the budget is not really high enough for overhauls to go through every single card.

You can use Ele'yas with Stamelford's Tremor in a boosting deck facing any swarm deck and deal great damage. I had some great arena matches with this card + Yennefer + Wild Boar of the sea

So it's not the worst card in the game...

Guest 4368268

Gremist is a card that's annoyed me in particular cause along with the other 'silver mages' of old it was a go-to favourite of mine. Love the card art but you just never see it around anymore and it has essentially been neglected these past 7-something months. Reduce his power but give him zeal so he'll at least see play if for no other reason than thinning. A quick and easy (temporary) solution like that and suddenly he's at the very least a legit option again.

Worst Monsters Gold Card: Crimson Curse
Worst Nilfgaard gold card: Caellach Dryffin
Worst NR Gold Card: Sabrina's Inferno
Worst ST Gold Card: Ele'yas
Worst SK Gold Card: Ermion

I kind of like Eleyas. He is conditional but you can pull off some good combos. I saw someone using him in a dwarf deck, boosting his own, pinging the enemy (me) and then Eleyas on top. Of course it doesn't work all the time but he has potential.
For me in the worst you have: Jotunn. He's just terrible and useless. Sabrina's inferno was already hard to use before, but now that the damned sorceress is not even a good fit in specter decks, she can only be used after Draugr and never see play. And I think Mad Kyian is horrible.

Top Bottom