The Mulligan System Explained

+
Don't really understand what the point of this is though. If I understood it correctly this chart explains what the odds are of drawing back cards that you redrawed during the mulligan phase.
Going after that the 1. card has the highest chance of being drawn back while the 3rd has the least.
That basically means that in theory you would want to redraw cards that you dont need yet but could be useful later first and cards that you generally dont want to redraw last (like mustercard).
But blacklisting is kinda the opposite, there you want to redraw mustercards first and different cards as well if you are searching for a specific silver/gold that you need sooo ...
Either I understood this wrong or it's kinda pointless :D

Nice and useful, thank you.

The guy in the video pretends to know more than those who designed the game, though...

Last edited:
i'm surprised why CDPR didn't tell the player base about this... should we figure it out our selves? thanks to this guy we did.
i didn't expect to be left in the dark by CDPR like that.

The mulligan system makes sense to me after wrapping my head around it but i don't like that the devs consider it a good idea that players should figure it out by themselfes. Everyone should be aware of the rules of the game. This is like going into a football match not knowing that the referee will give out free penalties for some obscure reason that isn't written down in the official rule book.

Guest 4088590

My reaction is, why was this not made obvious/clear in the tutorial?. Sure it adds intricacies to the game and all is good with that, just feels like a hidden thing that actually affects gameplay in a large way.

+1 for adding this info ingame.
Were it another card game, mechanics like these wouldn't be of much importance, but in Gwent the mulligan phase is extremely important since there is very little card draw between rounds.

I feel like I'm being a bit of an idiot here but I've read this like 3 times and I still don't really get it. In game tutorial defo wanted as I learn better with practical examples of this kind of thing anyway.

So this is how I think it works, can people let me know if I'm right.

I mulligan 1 card in the phase. It is shuffled into the top 4 cards so it, and all copies of it, are blacklisted so I draw a different card from the top, the mulligan card is somewhere in the top 3 so I would defo see if off the Morvran.

I mulligan 2 cards in the phase. The above happens first and then the second card is blacklisted so I won't draw either of the cards I mulligan. The second mulligan card is now somewhere in the top 3 cards as I'd draw 2 so far.

I mulligan 3 cards in the phase. The above happens first the now the third card is blacklisted so I won't draw any of the cards I mulligan. The top 3 cards are now the cards I've mulligan or copies of those cards.

I won't go into the Nilfgard mulligan thing as that's just confusing me even more.

SoupStraw;n8377710 said:
My reaction is, why was this not made obvious/clear in the tutorial?. Sure it adds intricacies to the game and all is good with that, just feels like a hidden thing that actually affects gameplay in a large way.

This.

It also didnt help that every time this was brought up on reddit or here, that it was simply explained as "everything is working as implemented." Which turns out, was true. BUT everyone was expecting the mulligan system to work as it does in nearly every other card game, not the way CDPR implemented without actually bothering to tell anyone til it was figured out.

Which is already a bad idea, but then when you factor in the fact that new players are going to come into the game, play a few matches, see this system and immediately assume the mulligan is broken and bugged because theres no explanation at all of the mulligan working differently to every other card game out there.

If their going to keep the mulligan system like this, it NEEDS to be explained in-game not just on reddit or youtube by 3rd parties.

Swifty4;n8411510 said:
I feel like I'm being a bit of an idiot here but I've read this like 3 times and I still don't really get it. In game tutorial defo wanted as I learn better with practical examples of this kind of thing anyway. *snip*
If you mulligan 1 card it's not guaranteed to be placed in the top 4, but the chance of this happening is 25% because now there are 16 cards in the deck. This means 25% chance to be in the top 3 after you draw the replacement card.
If you mulligan 2 cards it's the same for the first card, but the second also has a 25% chance to be in the top 4. Meaning 43.75% chance at least one of the two will be in the top 3 or 6.25% for both cards to be there.
If you mulligan 3 cards, then the 3rd card has the same 25% chance to land in top 4, translating into a 57.81% total chance at least one of the cards is now in top 3 or 1.56% that all 3 cards are there.
The percentages are different from the infographic because we're looking at the top 3 cards.

Each mulligan phase is treated separately however, meaning blacklists do not carry over when you use the Nilfgaard ability, Francesca etc. You have the same rules, but the percentages will depend on the number of cards remaining in the deck. To reiterate the Nilfgaard example mulliganing 1 card with 9 remaining in your deck - 10 cards total. The card has 20% chance to be placed in the top 2, meaning it will become first after the redraw. On the other hand it has a 40% chance to be placed in the top 4 cards, becoming one of the top 3 after redraw.

Wtf so it was purposely giving me the cards I traded out again!??? Fuck me I knew that shit was broken or something. That was the most annoying thing ever i didnt know it did it on purpose. Why would they do that it seems so stupid. I mulligan the card for a reason. I changed my deck completely and had to get rid of cards like roach or reaver scout and all sorts of stuff. Anything that would suck to get redrawn I dont use anymore because I thought that was broken and always giving those cards to me. What an awful design that has to be an accident or just a rogue troll programmer. Hope it gets fixed.

Definitely something Nilfgaard and Scoiatel players need to know! :p Honestly its good information all around, but I'm not sure why one would think that the deck would be auto-shuffled after a mulligan phase? In games like draw poker, the discarded cards are discarded. Its pretty apparent that this is not what happens in Gwent, so then why would one assume that after mulligan cards get put into the deck the deck gets shuffled? Another game?

As far as the debate as to whether or not it should be presented in-game: that's a little silly. I can't remember the last video game I played where 100% of mechanics were explained from the get-go...and nearly all games have some sort of player base discovered mechanics, either through asking developers or their own research.

guison;n8413780 said:
Wtf so it was purposely giving me the cards I traded out again!??? Fuck me I knew that shit was broken or something. That was the most annoying thing ever i didnt know it did it on purpose. Why would they do that it seems so stupid. I mulligan the card for a reason. I changed my deck completely and had to get rid of cards like roach or reaver scout and all sorts of stuff. Anything that would suck to get redrawn I dont use anymore because I thought that was broken and always giving those cards to me. What an awful design that has to be an accident or just a rogue troll programmer. Hope it gets fixed.

Keep Roach, just make sure you use a Gold card in round 1 to make her come out the deck.

Just like with MS you use Fog asap to avoid drawing foglets later.

Also, players using Ciri with Francesca (like me) are quite happy to have increased chances to see her showing up often.

While using NG and playing an emissary, use one of the two cards and know the other one has more chances to be on top of the deck; Voorhis plays one, the other two will probably come soon; knowing what's on the top of your deck can be a very, very good advantage no matter the way you get the information.

Imo, for decks who often discard (or rely on Ciri popping up often, or NG+Ciri) this system is more a blessing than a curse.

shuffle discarded cards

At the start of a game, when I have the option to discard up to 3 cards, it seems the ones I discard, i get them back at the beginning of the second round. Wouldn't it be better if discarded cards were shuffled back in the deck instead of being put on top ?

Hi Makhil,

you are talking about redrawing, discarding ist a different mechanic that puts your cards in the graveyard. The first three cards you redraw should be blacklisted (on the bottom of your Deck), however this mechanic never eally worked in my experience, especially the NG passive was horrendous in this regard, putting the the same card on top.

Makhil

What you are talking about is called a mulligan, not discarding. Please see my first post for more information about how Gwent handles this. I know it can be a bit difficult to understand.

PS. Also merged your thread with this one.

Top Bottom