The Music in CP77 is amazing!

+
First of all, if you think I was "fired up", well...I don't know how you got that impression, but it's completely, 100% wrong.
Maybe don't project emotion onto text...?

View attachment 11210644

And I didn't say "Shadowrun music".
I said my first experience with cyberpunk was Shadowrun.

Then, entirely different point but which you've conflated with "Shadowrun music" somehow, is that the cyberpunk genre hit its stride in the 1980s, and the music associated with the cyberpunk genre was different back then. And, yes, I prefer it that way.

I did not judge you for what you prefer. I didn't say that a tiny, tiny bit.
Everything I said was about me and what I prefer. That's it. Even if I responded to you, your impression that I'm attacking you is just bogglesome. I have no idea where you're getting that.
im the brunette!

The Soundtrack and the Radio are two different pieces

Speaking as someone who went to film school...no, they're not.

The score is different from the sountrack/radio.
The score is the mood music, usually played by an orchestra; the soundtrack is the popular music usually played by over-paid pretty people.

the stations i dont think can all fit into one genre (and all be new wave or synth) they needed to be diverse and feel like they where made in the time frame of the game

I agree. Part of my objection was the lack of variety.

So when you say you dont like it because its not diverse, is that the ost is not diverse? the radio stations are not diverse?
Given that 'soundtrack' and 'radio' are the same thing, and I didn't use the word 'score' until this post...

Speaking as someone who went to film school...no, they're not.

The score is different from the sountrack/radio.
The score is the mood music, usually played by an orchestra; the soundtrack is the popular music usually played by over-paid pretty people.

I agree. Part of my objection was the lack of variety.

Given that 'soundtrack' and 'radio' are the same thing, and I didn't use the word 'score' until this post...
oh cool what films have you worked on?

and beside my confusing of the words... you stated three genres of acceptable music for cyberpunk, the soundtrack and radio stations i think go beyond 3 genres of music... what genres are missing to add diversity? country?

I cut my cyberpunk teeth on Shadowrun in the early 90s, plus I'm an 80s kid and the genre got some of its best installments then.
As such, in my world, cyberpunk isn't screaming, angry metal... it's New Wave and Synth Wave. Electronic music (but not EDM).
then would it be fair to say that.... in my world shadowrun isnt cyberpunk because cyberpunk isnt elves and magic?

Two others that I find really good :
At the start of "Ghost Town", when you go with Panam to the aldecaldos camp. Amazing :)
And i don't know why, but the soundtrack of the Quadracer Arcade, i love it.
for me one of the most impactful moments music was involved - was the first time i played the secret arasaka tower ending. the point when johnny said "lets go" and the music steps in just gave me the chills - was wonderful <3

then would it be fair to say that.... in my world shadowrun isnt cyberpunk because cyberpunk isnt elves and magic?
When it has cybernetics and jacking into the Matrix, I'd say it's cyberpunk.

With magic, sure...but that doesn't make it not cyberpunk; it's fair to say that it's a fusion of genres, but definitely not that it doesn't qualify as cyberpunk.

When it has cybernetics and jacking into the Matrix, I'd say it's cyberpunk.

With magic, sure...but that doesn't make it not cyberpunk; it's fair to say that it's a fusion of genres, but definitely not that it doesn't qualify as cyberpunk.
so in this game, with jacking in and cybernetics... the music is cyberpunk inherently because its in a cyberpunk game? regardless of the genre? Because they are associated with eachother... because the music in this game is in embedded in it the same way the new/synth wave music was embedded in the shadowrun game?

so in this game, with jacking in and cybernetics... the music is cyberpunk inherently because its in a cyberpunk game?

Um...what did I say that gave you the impression I was saying anything like this?

The closest I can think of is that I pointed out when the cyberpunk had its real heyday, that it was the 1980s, music was different back then, and so many people have associations that don't include scream-o metal.

But that's not saying music is "inherently cyberpunk" for any reason at all. I'm just pointing out history and that some people might find the music in CP2077 less-than-ideal because of it.

Our conversations are going sideways because you keep trying to infer things I didn't say from things I did.
Maybe stop that...?

Yes it's very good and radio stations are also excellent with many genres
Um...what did I say that gave you the impression I was saying anything like this?

The closest I can think of is that I pointed out when the cyberpunk had its real heyday, that it was the 1980s, music was different back then, and so many people have associations that don't include scream-o metal.

But that's not saying music is "inherently cyberpunk" for any reason at all. I'm just pointing out history and that some people might find the music in CP2077 less-than-ideal because of it.

Our conversations are going sideways because you keep trying to infer things I didn't say from things I did.
Maybe stop that...?
metal was thing in 80's

Maybe stop that...?
im trying to understand your point. can we agree that blade runner is a root multimedia adaptation of the genre?

Yes it's very good and radio stations are also excellent with many genres

metal was thing in 80's

Yes, it was.

But it was a different kind of metal and usually wasn't used in cyberpunk.

im trying to understand your point. can we agree that blade runner is a root multimedia adaptation of the genre?

Visually speaking, sure.
But we never see any cyberware or anybody jacking in. That's why I can only kind of agree.

I'm thinkin' Max Headroom, here, more than Blade Runner, at least for world-building.

1618611893965.png

And though it only kind of qualifies, I'm gonna throw The Terminator into the mix.

@BionicDance now i have to watch this max headroom, thanks for the tip choomba!

but in both of these we dont have any elves or magic... so before when I said "in my world shadowrun isnt cyberpunk because cyberpunk isnt elves and magic?"

would you see that as a postive or a negative statement in respect to the opinion you shared in your first post on this thread?

@BionicDance now i have to watch this max headroom, thanks for the tip choomba!

All part of the service. :)

WARNING: It didn't last very long. Like, 14 episodes.

but in both of these we dont have any elves or magic... so before when I said "in my world shadowrun isnt cyberpunk because cyberpunk isnt elves and magic?"

Star Wars has the Force, but it's still a space opera.
Star Trek has its own share of psychics and telekinetics and the like, but it's still sci-fi.

Also...why are you nitpicking this? It's not exactly helping you understand, like you said you wanted to.
Sounds more like arguing than understanding to me.

All part of the service. :)

WARNING: It didn't last very long. Like, 14 episodes.

Star Wars has the Force, but it's still a space opera.
Star Trek has its own share of psychics and telekinetics and the like, but it's still sci-fi.

Also...why are you nitpicking this? It's not exactly helping you understand, like you said you wanted to.
Sounds more like arguing than understanding to me.
i reacted poorly to your first post, i would say negatively

I read your first post as a negative, if I can ask the following more directly then without being offensive.

was your response meant to be taken as positive support for my opinion that the music in cp77 is amazing?

if it was then i owe you an sincere apology for my response towards you,
if it was not in positive support of my opinion then i have to at least apologize for my behavior,

i reacted poorly to your first post, i would say negatively

Fair enough, and thank you for saying so. :)

I read your first post as a negative, if I can ask the following more directly then without being offensive.

was your response meant to be taken as positive support for my opinion that the music in cp77 is amazing?

That depends.

I honestly thought we were talking about the radio music, which, no, I don't like.
The rest of the music--the score, that is--I find largely unremarkable.

I guess what I'm saying is that, if they'd had me design the music for CP2077, I would have gone a very different way with it.
I would have made Johnny Silverhand more like a guy out of, say, Def Leppard, Van Halen, or Bon Jovi, those sorts of folks. And the rest of the music, well, I posted examples already: 80s-style New Wave.

And, sure, maybe include some of the harder metal, too, but not 90% of the soundtrack the way CDPR did it.

if it was then i owe you an sincere apology for my response towards you,
if it was not in positive support of my opinion then i have to at least apologize for my behavior,
Accepted. Thanks. :)

In my world, a cyberpunk setting sounds like this:
Or this:

Heck, that entire YouTube channel sounds more cyberpunk to me than the music in CP2077.
It's interesting because when I hear that I hear cheesy 80s synthopop and it is precisely the opposite of what I'd expect of a cyberpunk world. Indeed, I think that music would be world breaking to me because it is so very, very the wrong side of 80s and sounds naff. It all depends what cultural references you've been exposed to.

To me, a cyberpunk sound would be hard and in-your-face/brash.

I'm reminded of the soundtrack to Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (which is a hilarious little gem of a game in its own right anyway). That was rather good.

Now, it was intentionally composed as a send-up of the 80s sci-fi action movie tropes. It still managed to be rather haunting/dystopian and not "happy smooth hippy synthwave" which I see CDPR intentionally avoided.

What I like a lot from the songs, soundtracks and radio station is the industrial/ heavy vibe I get from it.
Specifically when I'm in the watson area dealing with Maelstrom and Tyger Claws. Althought Tyger Claws I feel also feel fitting with Night FM aswell as Vexelstrom, but Vexelstrom and Maelstrom are... Well they even share some of the name :LOL:

I prefer this because I usually like the heavy/industrial/metal esk music more anyway.
Synthwave, as I've seen posted on these forums a few times, to me feel too wavey and light. If you catch my drift.

I'm listening to techno today in my WAH playlist (tiny benefit of the pandemic, I'm writing software from home and I get to put tunes on while I'm not on calls with the team). This track just hit me, and I think it'd match with my musical vision of cyberpunk.

Edit: I should add, I'm a massive J00F fan anyway though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom