The Music in CP77 is amazing!

+
It's interesting because when I hear that I hear cheesy 80s synthopop and it is precisely the opposite of what I'd expect of a cyberpunk world. Indeed, I think that music would be world breaking to me because it is so very, very the wrong side of 80s and sounds naff. It all depends what cultural references you've been exposed to.

To me, a cyberpunk sound would be hard and in-your-face/brash.
The problem is, that only takes into account 'punk' and not 'cyber'.

Let's not forget that this is part of cyberpunk, too:

1618934027236.png

And, stepping outside of the game for a moment:

1618934078820.png

And this:

1618934130768.png

It's not all grungy alleyways and gangs.

This is why I was so disappointed when you have the option to make a Corpo, but not the option to play as a Corpo; I wanted the other side of cyberpunk, the side pulling the strings, not just the seamier side of things.

Also, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool 80s kid; I wanted 80s-style cyberpunk. Obviously.

And you cannot tell me that the music I prefer would not also be more appropriate to the genre when viewed through this lens. It's what I want out of a game like this and, frankly, I thought it was the game I was getting.

Why? This:

1618934457176.png
1618934510168.png

They showed the Moxes a lot in promo material, and you cannot throw that much neon and day-glo at me without giving me the wrong impression.

I feel misled.

This is why I was so disappointed when you have the option to make a Corpo, but not the option to play as a Corpo; I wanted the other side of cyberpunk, the side pulling the strings, not just the seamier side of things
I'm drifting off-topic but I have that experience yet to come. This first character I intentionally went for a 'passionate' character who acts on impulse and never takes the considered option. She's siding with Johnny at every opportunity and turning him into her best friend. At every dialog choice I'm choosing the option that's the most immediate/spur-of-the-moment. As you might have guessed, I chose streetkid.

My next play-through (whenever that happens) I'm planning on choosing corpo and I will take the wait and see, pause, unopinionated responses where possible. I plan to act against Johnny at every opportunity and to treat him as nothing more than a hostile invading force.

I'm interested to see how the two play-throughs differ. I'm also planning on that second playthrough being entirely quickhack-based, given that I removed my cyberdeck for the current playthrough. I have read ahead and found already that I will be disappointed, because apparently monowire can't be used as a stealth-kill weapon.

Like you I am a Shadowrun player (both TT and SR Returns). One of my favourite TT SR characters was a (slightly) burned out phys adept with an artificial right forearm that contained a grappler and a hidden monowhip, built for stealth & melee combat. The monowhip was specifically for stealth kills.

I'm drifting off-topic but I have that experience yet to come. This first character I intentionally went for a 'passionate' character who acts on impulse and never takes the considered option. She's siding with Johnny at every opportunity and turning him into her best friend. At every dialog choice I'm choosing the option that's the most immediate/spur-of-the-moment. As you might have guessed, I chose streetkid.

Okay, this is hilarious, cuz that's the character I'm playing right now...

My next play-through (whenever that happens) I'm planning on choosing corpo and I will take the wait and see, pause, unopinionated responses where possible. I plan to act against Johnny at every opportunity and to treat him as nothing more than a hostile invading force.

And that's the character I played first.

I'm interested to see how the two play-throughs differ.

Me, too; I'm really just starting out on the Streetkid. (Well, kind of. I leveled up a ton before doing "The Heist" just for giggles.)

I'm also planning on that second playthrough being entirely quickhack-based, given that I removed my cyberdeck for the current playthrough.

I love quickhacking. Far more than armed conflict.

Like you I am a Shadowrun player (both TT and SR Returns). One of my favourite TT SR characters was a (slightly) burned out phys adept with an artificial right forearm that contained a grappler and a hidden monowhip, built for stealth & melee combat. The monowhip was specifically for stealth kills.

My favorite is Dirk Montgomery from the novel "2XS" by Nigel Findley. All of his books are worth a read if you love Shadowrun.

The music is incredible. My favorite game soundtrack of all time. I usually am listening to Body Heat; but I'll also switch between Night FM, Pacific Dreams & Royal Blue Radio. I love that they went with an updated & realistic take on the music. They did a lot in different aspects of the game to update the Cyberpunk genre.

I also have the Night City track by R E L & Artemis Delta as my alarm...

The score to the game is my 5th favorite game score and I'm excited to see those CDs hit my mailbox in a week alongside a Maelstrom Steelbook. Wish the radio stations were on disc too, but I guess I'll just buy the digital.. Would've looked nice next to my Vice City box set.. Guess I could put them on disc and give me a better reason to buy the rest of the steelbooks..
Post automatically merged:

I can't help but feel that, in many ways, CDPR just plain misjudged their audience.

Looking at the objections to various design and aesthetic decisions--both here and the Steam forums--it seems to me that people wanted something closer to a Bethesda game, and a cyberpunk game that's more 80s style.
I mean, I'm the only one I know who has come out and said it--just now--but putting together a gestalt from what people have said, I think it's not an unreasonable hypothesis.

I believe they made the game they wanted to make, but not the game people wanted to play.
(Yes, I mean some people and not all people; if you love the game, hey, more power to ya. But I think a not-insignificant portion of players think similar things to my own thoughts.)
To quote Slim Charles.. The thing about the old days, they the old days..

That 80's Cyberpunk style sounds & looks terrible... And the 80's is one of my favorite decades of music.. I honestly would not have preordered the game or have 600 hours in it if it was an 80's style approach.. That's tired & played and it's not realistic to the time period when we're standing in 2021 and seeing what the potential can be at that point. Cyberpunk should always be presented as a realistic concept on the future at the point of conception, because it has always been a genre of reality based speculation through imagination; which is also the very genesis & evolution of our own human society. So forward do we move. CDPR brought an 80's entity of 2020 and took it to a buyable 2077. Which is exactly what it should be.... True to the genre..

Last edited:
OST ( with ambient and themes) is good, but radio is 50/50. Mexican rap with Asap Rocky didn't fit well into "2077". They try include all genres of music in the radio and this was not a good idea, music in the future need to evolution into something new and bigger, than modern rap with pink pop "i`m want ****! ...".

My favourite song from radio "Come close" this is really good sounds in the afterlife.

Gonna make mod with dark synthwave, glad now modders can replace the songs from radio -

Last edited:
OST ( with ambient and themes) is good, but radio is 50/50. Mexican rap with Asap Rocky didn't fit well into "2077". They try include all genres of music in the radio and this was not a good idea, music in the future need to evolution into something new and bigger, than modern rap with pink pop "i`m want ****! ...".

My favourite song from radio "Come close" this is really good sounds in the afterlife.

Gonna make mod with dark synthwave, glad now modders can replace the songs from radio -

Top Bottom