The new Gameplay Trailer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is LIVE!

+

I immediately thought I'd recognized the scene.
Let's assume it's the same location.

Your comparison raises some questions: are we looking at the gap between high and ultra? Wasn't the gap supposed to be small? If March footage was on PC, could it be settings emulated Xbox One quality?

Indeed, the differences are so dramatic that, in retrospect, they completely vindicate those who called that scene in the March gameplay out. Do you remember the kind of counters they had to deal with? Do you remember the elaborate attempts to pass that scene as on par in terms of geometry, texture quality and draw distance? All those counters now strike me as dangerously close to denial.

The takeaway: next time footage is criticized, please forgo the defensive knee jerk reactions. But, naturally, the most salient fact is that scene now renders like it's been shot in 2015, instead of a panorama from 201. Rejoice!

Last edited:
I think the most impressive bit was the sailing. The water/wave effects are top notch.

Oh yeah, that water looks so so good. They really upgraded it compared to earlier footage.

---------- Updated at 11:01 PM ----------

I immediately thought I recognized the scene.
Let's assume it's the same location.

Your comparison raises some questions: are we looking at the gap between high and ultra? Wasn't the gap supposed to be small? If March footage was on PC, could it be settings emulated Xbox One quality?

Indeed, the differences are so dramatic that, in retrospect, they completely vindicate those who called that scene in the March gameplay out. Do you remember the kind of counters they had to deal with? Do you remember the elaborate attempts to pass that scene as on par in terms of geometry, texture quality and draw distance? All those counters now strike me as dangerously close to denial.

The takeaway: next time footage is criticized, please forgo the defensive knee jerk reactions. But, naturally, the most salient fact is that scene now renders like it's been shot in 2015, instead of a panorama from 201. Rejoice!

Compared to what, though? The problem with what you are saying is that there was no previous footage of this spot to warrant such downgrade claims.

Quality in such a massive open world game as this is always going to be quite variable. Some places and scenes will naturally look better than others. You simply cannot compare two completely different locations and say it's a downgrade if you think the older location looks better than the newer one.

There's too much subjectivity involved when comparing completely different locations.

In this comparison, however, we have the same exact location showing clear and objective improvements from one build to the next.

That's how you do a proper comparison. You compare the same spot with as near the same lighting conditions as possible. Then you point out the differences.

Hahaha, I'm 100% sure that they put that scene in the new trailer because we said "The conditions and the place needs to be the same to make proper comparisons" over and over again. :) Kudos CDPR, ye forum lurking cocksuckers... (No offense though, we love you guys :) )

Oh, for the record, I still think that it's not the difference between specs, but the difference between the builds. As they stated that they won't show Ultra before release.

Last edited:
Still looking for SOD graphics quality. :(

Uh...this trailer has some of the same scenes as the SoD trailer --such as the army in forest and Geralt in the palace with the guards scenes-- and those look just as good. Why are you assuming the other areas are going to look worse?

Last edited:
This footage to me, looks way better than any screens and footage from 2013 or the SoD trailer.
That new design of the monster fiend model, with the black zebra striped skin and moose antlers... has got to be the coolest fucking monster I have ever seen in a game.
I want a figurine of that someday, this game is going to be so awesome!

Just watched it. The scene with a vampire was epic. Makes one wish Regis would appear in the game :)

That scene with the vampire is going to be the catchphrase for the game all over the Internet. Its equivalent to the "Arrow in the Knee".
Only CDPR could give us a catchphrase that includes "Then Fuck Off".

01:35, "Ahh, the Witcher"....
I know it's a different accent, but anyone think it's that the same VA as played Zyvik in TW2? His voice seems very similar. (English version). But maybe it's just because Zyvik says something very similar.

Last edited:
I was away 2 days from home/computer/smartphone and when I saw this trailer today I can't believe how good it looks! I think I watched it almost 10 times in row and every time it's just seems better! Also, all that talk about graphics downgrade can be now finish and never be mentioned , cause game looks and feels AMAZING!
BIG RESPECT CDPR! You make us believe that games can still be made with love, care and for the fans! Hope other developers will follow your policy!

Uh...this trailer has some of the same scenes as the SoD trailer --such as the army in forest and Geralt in the palace with the guards scenes-- and those look just as good. Why are you assuming the other areas are going to look worse?

LOL. These footages look as good as SOD trailer because simply this footage is from SOD trailer. LOL. Like Griffin footage is taken from e3 microsoft conference demo. Again LOL.

---------- Updated at 10:01 AM ----------

This footage to me, looks way better than any screens and footage from 2013 or the SoD trailer.
That new design of the monster fiend model, with the black zebra striped skin and moose antlers... has got to be the coolest fucking monster I have ever seen in a game.
I want a figurine of that someday, this game is going to be so awesome!

About models you are right. But about lighting i do not agree with you.

The last scene imo looks pretty much SOD quality..

I still love how game looks. Last scene really amazing. But i cant tell is it looks same with SOD or not. Because cant find same place and same air condition in SOD trailer for comparison. BUT i can compare another scenes. For example both trailers have interior bar scene or cave scene with torch lighting effect or wild hunt attack to sivilian near the sea(NOT same TOD but we can compare grass in this scene. Same scene with different model types.) and last Novigrad scene(eagle vision from SOD trailer and 0:55 min from last trailer. Not same place but almost same TOD0 . And sadly i cant see SOD quality. Still hope ultra will fix it.

Is it just me or does the inventory of armors seem kind off... childish or strange at least? With it's full color background, I love that we can see what type or quality the armor is like, but make it a square ring around the item and not the entire background... It just look off to me.

I loved the rest of the trailer!

I will make it my quest in life to find this... 'quest'. Save me some... it's chocolate right?

Gonorrhoea!

Last edited:
LOL. These footages look as good as SOD trailer because simply this footage is from SOD trailer. LOL. Like Griffin footage is taken from e3 microsoft conference demo. Again LOL.

---------- Updated at 10:01 AM ----------

About models you are right. But about lighting i do not agree with you.

Yeah, they are clearly from the same cutscenes in the game. But the point is, they wouldn't be putting those cutscenes in a trailer a month from release if they weren't representative of how those scenes look in the game. And if those cutscenes look the same then it seems likely the other scenes in the SoD trailer look the same too.

In any case, the new stuff in the gameplay trailer also looks just as good as the SoD trailer.

That lighting talk is just a cop out. The lighting in the game is as beautiful as ever. But the lighting is also highly dynamic and can look quite different from scene to scene. We have to look at the actual techniques being used. There's not a single aspect of the lighting that has been removed. The physically based materials still react beautifully to the light, there is still a dynamic day-night cycle, god rays are still present, volume-based translucency is still present, clouds still cast shadows, etc. It's the same lighting system through and through.

Great as the trailer is, it deserves one small criticism:

Narration is very poor. Not only is the soft, news anchor tone inappropriate, copy itself is for the most part an unfocused concatenation of clichés. One puzzling statement:

(...)
are interwoven with religious fanaticism, war crimes, even racism»

Even, you say?

And if you find her, the girl will die

Not narration-related. But as far as I'm concerned this is frontal-nudity kind of spoiler material an introductory trailer has no business venturing into. Additionally, not too keen on that malefic laughter.

Bottom line: next time, have REDs narrate. It matters to them. It's their baby. And it comes through in their voices.

Last edited:
Top Bottom