The new Xbox

+
Well, Steam managed not to offend US Navy. Gosh, it is really dangerous to cross our military, even concerning restrictions placed on soldiers gaming off-duty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOYBWwmcXeg

It is all a dream, a vision of chaos and entropy, dreamed by a god who long ago went mad.

Glaroug said:
Too right, too right. I'm still suprised Microsoft did this. I was under the impretion they felt themselves invincible.

Hell, I've been calling it since it was announced. Maybe they wouldn't have if Sony hadn't embarrassed the pants off em'. Or at least not as quickly. And even though it looks better for people wanting and XB1, they'd still have to deal with:
1. Forced Kinect.
2. Have to download games onto hardrive.
3. Still $100/€100 more expensive than PS4.

Guest 2091327

So then.

Kinect can never be turned off
Microsofts makes Xbone
Microsofts coopereates with NSA
NSA carries out a massive surveillance program.

Neh, no issues there :D

SmilingJack said:
http://www.p4rgaming.com/microsoft-confirms-xbox-ones-kinect-will-function-without-power-source-can-never-be-turned-off/
I hope you realize that's a parody site. They actually get mistaken for real news a lot. If you want more proof just go to their home and see the article with North Korea.

gregski said:
A slightly different take on the issue: http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905
How cute that this man seems to want to justify XB1's DRM.

Sure, the XB1 had interesting features, but to me, it was a matter of pros and cons. Playing my games on every machine and all that other stuff doesn't make up for daily online-DRM for me.

cmdrsilverbolt said:
And that, ladies and gents, is how business is done.

I hope that xbox1 games can also be played without supervision by Mommy Kinect, i.e. allow kinect to be turned off while console is on and running.
If offline play is allowed, doesn't that accomplish this purpose?

gregski said:
A slightly different take on the issue: http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905
Lost me with this statement from the article:
Well, no, it isn't now, but Steam was once $team, too. It was not always popular, and its licensing model was once heavily maligned. Given time, though, it's now the only way almost every PC gamer wants to play games.
No, it's not.

Yes but he was talking how always ON was essencial as the console was built around that. 4 days later...

Also always online was a form of DRM

You customers are making XBox devs cry since you did not understood the (rest of the) feature
http://www.windowsobserver.com/2013/06/20/heartbroken-microsoft-employee-shares-reaction-to-xbox-one-changes/

ShivaSi said:
You customers are making XBox devs cry since you did not understood the (rest of the) feature
http://www.windowsobserver.com/2013/06/20/heartbroken-microsoft-employee-shares-reaction-to-xbox-one-changes/

Aww I'm so heartbroken. I like how he said Sony's version of video sharing was horrendous when everything he helped build(feature wise) was a pile of shit.

We were talking earlier (I think it was in the other thread) about the corporate mentality where employees become so enamoured in how wonderful their product it that they never stop and think about whether the customers will agree. If that article is genuine, it pretty much confirms it.
We didn’t do a good enough job explaining all the benefits that came with this new model. We spent too much of our time fighting against the negative impressions that many people in the media formed. I feel that if we spent less time on them and more time explaining the great features we had lined up and the ones in the pipes gamers and media alike would have aligned to our vision.

That's not how it works. You can't "align customers to your vision". You're supposed to envisage what the customers need.

So if that's the general attitude, and I suspect it is, they're just going to keep on failing.

If you ask me it all stems from a simple disrespect for their customer base, booth babes, always online, draconian drm, distasteful advertsing, reduced gameplay length, feature stripping, remakes like Thief that blatantly piss on prior iterations etcetera. They have proved over and over again that their customer base will accept any arbitrary restriction or denigration they choose to foist upon them, in collusion with the corrupt game journalists who support these practises.

Simple case in point, the lead writer of Bioware in response to Morrigans altered appearance in their recent trailer calls the complainers mysogynistic for being critical. Is roundly applauded for doing so. That's not how you should treat potential customers, but they have an assured massive amount of sales, because they're a big firm. And this self righteous defense that they've cultivated by pandering to those who wallow in their own alleged victimhood.

Hopefully with Kickstarter and this latest turnaround this attitude can be halted, but I seriously doubt it, because we as customers have no mouth, no recourse and not enough patience or grit to stand firm against them in the long term.

dragonbird said:
We were talking earlier (I think it was in the other thread) about the corporate mentality where employees become so enamoured in how wonderful their product it that they never stop and think about whether the customers will agree. If that article is genuine, it pretty much confirms it.

That's not how it works. You can't "align customers to your vision". You're supposed to envisage what the customers need.

So if that's the general attitude, and I suspect it is, they're just going to keep on failing.

The biggest thing I don't get is why all they "can't" have all those features without the every 24 hour drm.

dragonbird said:
I suspect it's more like they can't (if the employees have the slightest hint of self preservation).

When you have an obnoxious power freak at the top, people lower on the corporate rung who dare question 'the grand vision' tend to be seeking new employment rather quickly. So even if the employees had major concerns, they keep their heads down or suck up. (Balmer in the case of MS likes to sack people who question him)

Or create a need which you just happen to be ready to fufill, which is the whole point of marketing.
What you dont do is say things along the line of - "Buy this product peon. We are superior and know what you want, even if you are to stupid to know it".

Lyc said:
I suspect it's more like they can't (if the employees have the slightest hint of self preservation).

When you have an obnoxious power freak at the top, people lower on the corporate rung who dare question 'the grand vision' tend to be seeking new employment rather quickly. So even if the employees had major concerns, they keep their heads down or suck up. (Balmer in the case of MS likes to sack people who question him)

I can relate to this. My boss takes any suggestion as a threat to his authority. ANY suggestion whatsoever. If you cross the line, he'll make your life miserable. So people don't say shit to him anymore. What you have at my job is a bunch of serfs and a king. I could easily see this happening in a corporate environment.

Guest 2091327

That is quite common. It is also why organisations with a relatively 'flat' structure tends to be more competitive and innovative. Well, if you have the marketing and 'buy-up-your-competitors' muscle of MS or Google, that all goes out the window, but on more normal scales it often holds true. Obviously, organisations that aren't run like the Mafia also tend to have a better working environment.

Top Bottom