The New Yorker: The Strange, Unfinished Saga of Cyberpunk 2077

+
Excerpt from attached article: This past Wednesday, CD Projekt posted a note on its Web site announcing that the parties to the lawsuit filed against the company had “entered into negotiations concerning a potential settlement.” I recently spoke with Harold Goldberg, the founder of the New York Videogame Critics Circle, about the continued fallout of the Cyberpunk debacle. The Witcher 3 won game of the year from the critics circle five years ago, he pointed out. “CD Projekt Red got too big for itself,” he said. “It could not deliver this awesome, very complicated, open world that was promised.” He noted that CD Projekt is a publicly traded company. “When you’re beholden to stockholders,” he said, “you have this odd, extra pressure that makes you want to meet your deadlines, come hell or high water. The game was not ready for consumers.”

Not really a good article, imo.
Problems with CDPR trace all the way back from when they started and are more complex than "greedy shareholders". ( and it doesn't add up that they would be sued and one prominent member even tried to replace CDPR's management if they share responsibility for this).
A better article on this:

Interesting read, I learned a lot about Cyberpunk 2013/2020/2077 and its creator, but then again I didn't know that much about it before. Thanx 4 sharing

One thing I'm really curious of:

"Schreier reported, in Bloomberg, that top developers at CD Projekt Red had left the studio after clashing with Badowski about the direction of the game"

How did the game change since then? I think Tyler Vicken mentioned the game had more classic rpg systems before switching pretty late in development.

There were definitely red flags all over with numerous lead designers leaving in middle of development ( Stepien, Rowley, etc).

Top Bottom