The Next Generation

+

XianeX

Forum regular
Looking at the trajectory of graphics, maybe in the next 5 years games will come out with Style GAN 2 LOD. The funny part about MetaHuman is that you have to get the lighting just right to remove the cartoonish element from the appearance of the models. They look human, but just enough that it doesn't look HUMAN. Ever so often I wonder about games and ask myself, how close to "realistic" does a model have to look and behave before I'm like, "Naw, I can't shoot this virtual thing! Even if it's definitely a model, and I have a fake pistol or BFG". Level of detail, I'm pretty sure at a certain point, individual morality will cause a player to pause. Even in CP77, there have been moments where I've stopped and had to make a second glance. Weird moments, that you catch out of the corner of your eye. Like, "Whoa, did that just happen?" and "Wow, what if, in real life...?" As a computer nerd, I'm all about pushing the envelope on this stuff, all the way to cyborgs and cybernetics. But, I still think about the edge of "perfection?" where it's difficult to determine whether I'm looking at a model on the screen or participating in a remote physical reality. Obviously, we're still far from that LOD. . . Sometimes I think, if CP77 DIDN'T have the various glitches and gaminess, people may not actually interact with it as the game it's intended to be.

I was trying not to kill anyone in the game because I was sorry for them until Judy asked me to kill for her... And now I'm running a crusade against the tyger claws with a literal tomahawk for things that happen in the story.
In the future games will be confused with life itself, many people will live alone in the virtual world like in the game Observer.
Having said that, I don't think that all games will be violent, there will be games of all kinds and they will be more and more interactive so it will not be necessary that all the objectives to have fun are to fight/antagonize with others.
There will be games to go dancing to a club, go driving or going out an afternoon for a walk, all in virtual enviroments that would resemble and mimic real life. The pleasure would be the experience itself, a bit like the virtus. And genres that have not yet been invented, I'm sure of it.

I don’t care how realistic the models are, I will always try to get the best KD ratio I can achieve!

In single player games, I always try to play as realistically close to the character’s personality as possible. That is why in CP2077 I was unaware after 2 play throughs that there is no police system as V is not the kind of person to massacre civilians or run them over on the sidewalk.

However beautifully modelled the NPCs are in this game, I wholeheartedly despise them because they are braindead. I keep thinking about They Live. This would be a different story if NPC behaviour is improved, but for now I think i'm doing NC a favour with my many accidental roadkills :D

I don't know if real-life like graphics will be enough to stop me/us from killing. Especially in video games like CP77 where you are not playing as yourself. That said maybe when AIs become advanced enough to control the game world (and NPCs) and can react to everything you do. Maybe then:)
On an unrelated note maybe you will be interested in seeing the matrix tech demo.

If I have discovered anything, it is that human beings enjoy conflict no matter how much they deny it to themselves.
Some try to hide it behind great ideals. But at the end of the day it is the primitive hunter mind.
I think that's why there are so many video games about war, fighting, sniping, swordplay, etc... Ultimately its a way to release those emotions.
But I also think it's a limitation of what games can do today and the fun goals that they can set with the current tech. Violence is a form of immediate gratification and easy to program.

If I have discovered anything, it is that human beings enjoy conflict no matter how much they deny it to themselves.
Some try to hide it behind great ideals. But at the end of the day it is the primitive hunter mind.
I think that's why there are so many video games about war, fighting, sniping, swordplay, etc... Ultimately its a way to release those emotions.
But I also think it's a limitation of what games can do today and the fun goals that they can set with the current tech. Violence is a form of immediate gratification and easy to program.
not all humans enjoy conflict, but many do

I was trying not to kill anyone in the game because I was sorry for them until Judy asked me to kill for her... And now I'm running a crusade against the tyger claws with a literal tomahawk for things that happen in the story.
Badass :ok:
Post automatically merged:

In the future games will be confused with life itself, many people will live alone in the virtual world like in the game Observer.
I like playing games, but that's way too much, I also like fresh air and the outdoors (not to mention human contact). I'd prefer if games stay pretty much the way they are, just an interactive graphic story on a screen

I know, I advocate the same. But I think it will be an inevitable future with pollution, overpopulation, the prohibition of individual vehicles (it will happen eventually), the lack of natural spaces in cities, the reduction of space in the houses, the loss of human contact...
In the United States many of the houses are individual but in Europe most of the houses are in big flats of a few tens or 1 hundred of meters as much. Like the apartment of V more or less.
Maybe you live in a nice place and this seems strange to you, I don't know haha, but there are places that are just concrete and brick hells.
Unfortunately this is not science fiction but things that are already being studied and that appear in magazines.
That's why the world of Observer seems like a great possibility to me. People would prefer virtual space to real life.
Of course it won't be in the immediate future and we may never see it.

Last edited:
I know, I advocate the same. But I think it will be an inevitable future with pollution, overpopulation, the prohibition of individual vehicles (it will happen eventually), the lack of natural spaces in cities, the reduction of space in the houses, the loss of human contact...
In the United States many of the houses are individual but in Europe most of the houses are in big flats of a few tens or 1 hundred of meters as much. Like the apartment of V more or less.
Maybe you live in a nice place and this seems strange to you, I don't know haha, but there are places that are just concrete and brick hells.
Unfortunately this is not science fiction but things that are already being studied and that appear in magazines.
That's why the world of Observer seems like a great possibility to me. People would prefer virtual space to real life.
we have along way to go, I long long way to go before we are anything like Tokyo

we have along way to go, I long long way to go before we are anything like Tokyo
A loooooooooooong way to go, I hope (even tho it's inevitable for the world to f itself even more eventually :giveup:)

I don't know, sounds like a complete dystopian world to me...

It's dystopian of course. But imagine a complete virtual world where you could live, FEEL and smell Night City for example. Where the characters were highly advance IAS that react to everything you do or say even other players like you roleplaying alongside you. You will just go out to eat, work on whatever, pay bills and do your basic needs. You would be wanting to get back into the game as soon as possible. I think that's where games are heading in 100 years or even more of course.
It is clear that our our governments want citizens not to pollute and go out less and less (long distance travel taxes), this is not a conspiracy, you can see it clear by the new regulations at least in my country. In the end polluting will be a luxury.
The world is heading for everything to be virtual: virtual money, virtual houses, digital belongings. Why have objects in real life if you don't have to make them in factories for the game? They will continue to charge you practically the same for less... Win-win for corpos.
Although at first very powerful equipment would be needed and consume a lot of electricity for virtual reality, in the end it would be standardized in simpler and cheaper devices. It happens all the time with tech.
Nobody is saying that it is a desirable future in reality, it is a somewhat sad one and it's definitely not healthy. But it is a great possibility yeah. I guess it would also have its positive things hahaha.

It's dystopian of course. But imagine a complete virtual world where you could live, FEEL and smell Night City for example. Where the characters were highly advance IAS that react to everything you do or say even other players like you roleplaying alongside you. You will just go out to eat, work on whatever, pay bills and do your basic needs. You would be wanting to get back into the game as soon as possible. I think that's where games are heading in 100 years or even more of course.
It is clear that our our governments want citizens not to pollute and go out less and less (long distance travel taxes), this is not a conspiracy, you can see it clear by the new regulations at least in my country. In the end polluting will be a luxury.
The world is heading for everything to be virtual: virtual money, virtual houses, digital belongings. Why have objects in real life if you don't have to make them in factories for the game? They will continue to charge you practically the same for less... Win-win for corpos.
Although at first very powerful equipment would be needed and consume a lot of electricity for virtual reality, in the end it would be standardized in simpler and cheaper devices. It happens all the time with tech.
Nobody is saying that it is a desirable future in reality, it is a somewhat sad one and it's definitely not healthy. But it is a great possibility yeah. I guess it would also have its positive things hahaha.
I hope everyone starts fighting against the normalization of this "inevitability" and that starts in the mind. If you are someone that claims culture is important in a society it's to prevent this type of dystopian normality. Elites are leading us in that direction, they don't even hide it anymore, "you will own nothing and will be happy". I for one am ready to tackle these notions if they are presented around me on a daily basis. If we don't want to be cattle I suggest we all do the same.
And it doesn't take 100 years. The most advanced technology today isn't on the public use, games or otherwise and we can all see the acelerated complexity principle, development grows exponencially faster unless there's a change in the research's direction.
PS - I always viewed cyberpunk works for example as a warning, provided there's critical reasoning on the audience; not a fantasy or normality to aspire to

I hope everyone starts fighting against the normalization of this "inevitability" and that starts in the mind. If you are someone that claims culture is important in a society it's to prevent this type of dystopian normality. Elites are leading us in that direction, they don't even hide it anymore, "you will own nothing and will be happy". I for one am ready to tackle these notions if they are presented around me on a daily basis. If we don't want to be cattle I suggest we all do the same.
And it doesn't take 100 years. The most advanced technology today isn't on the public use, games or otherwise and we can all see the acelerated complexity principle, development grows exponencially faster unless there's a change in the research's direction.
PS - I always viewed cyberpunk works for example as a warning, provided there's critical reasoning on the audience; not a fantasy or normality to aspire to
F*cking A :howdy:

I really like your Johnny Silverhand mentality but the problem is not going to be us but our grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren who will have all these as much more internalized and assumed behaviors. Johnny himself at the end admits that after all the fighting the Arasaka tower is only bigger (Tapeworm).

I really like your Johnny Silverhand mentality but the problem is not going to be us but our grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren who will have all these as much more internalized and assumed behaviors. Johnny himself at the end admits that after all the fighting the Arasaka tower is only bigger (Tapeworm).
I have no idea when this tilt may happen, what generation it will affect 1st. But if it's our grandchildren for example, now would be the time to prevent it from going there, not when it's irreversible

Such horrible thing you say! Why prevent such a wonderful future?
:)

This looks to be going into real-world politics and similar, not connected to anything fictional. Please abandon that line of discussion; it is against the forum rules.

Top Bottom