The Ocean/ Bay... Whats Out there?

+
The Ocean/ Bay... Whats Out there?

Night City is located on the coast, directly at the entrance to a large bay similar to San Francisco. Now the map in the books doesn't show much in the bay, no islands or anything large like that... however that doesn't mean that something can't be there.

Traffic, from small civilian boats like jet skis, ski boats, pleasure yachts, maybe even a pontoon boat... to large superyachts, tankers and cargo ships, to luxury cruise liners.

A military base.... not directly attached to Night City, but located on the northern edge of the bay, complete with airfield and naval yards...

An Oil Platform... run by Petrochem

Aquatic nomads (Thelas)..... fisherman, smugglers and pirates...

An underwater prison or research station.

What lies out there?

Horrors beyond your wildest imaginations.....

Been a while since I've driven up that way, but if you're heading up the 101 freeway from Los Angeles to San Francisco, you can take a detour on the 1 and cruise by Morro Bay (which is the rough area we've determined Night City to be, yes?)

IIRC, there's a BIG @ss rock in the middle of the bay. Also, there's kind of a penninsula / break that separates the bay from the rest of the ocean. Both of those could be explorable areas.

I know that looking over the ocean, driving up the 101, once you get out past Ventura, you can see the oil derricks from the freeway. I don't recall if there are any derricks around Morro Bay, but by 2077, who knows? Possibly oil derricks, possibly some other man-made constructs.

Out there is potential for DLC

I'd much prefer for the Pacific Rim to be a viable DLC. This however needs to be in the Vanilla game, all the water vehicles, pirates and smugglers seem very intriguing.

Even though I hate water and try to avoid going underwater in video games due to traumatic experiences IRL.

I, for one will not be completing any missions that go underwater. Above water is fine, I'll be cool doing missions above.

I'd love to be able to fish at the pier or on a boat, in memory of my father and stuff like that.

I'd love to be able to fish at the pier or on a boat, in memory of my father and stuff like that.

that would be nice

and diving would be a nice reference to "Ghost in the Shell"

one of my favourite quotes from "Ghost in the Shell"
Batou - So what's it feel like when you go diving?
Motoko Kusanagi - Didn't you go through underwater training?
Batou - I'm not talking about doing it in a damn pool.
Motoko Kusanagi - I feel fear. Anxiety. Loneliness. Darkness. And perhaps, even .. hope.
Batou -Hope? In the darkness of the sea?
Motoko Kusanagi - As I float up towards the surface, I almost feel as though I could change into something else.

Perhaps the biggest flaw of SR3, even beyond it's utterly insipid plot, juvenile humor, and lack of customization.... even beyond the ability to get all the weird mission specific vehicles and googaws that made SR2 so much fun... is the fact the the city was dull.... especially the airways and waterways, which in SR2 were full of life. Boats cruised the waters, people fished, they sunbathed, they jet ski's and took pleasure boats out.... The skies were full of planes, if you went to the airport you could watch them taking off and landing... it felt alive...

Sleeping Dogs didn't have jet skis, but it's waters too had people enjoying them...

In SR 3 they were completely devoid of life... sure you could own boats and planes... but there was no point to it, as the water was just dead...

Perhaps the biggest flaw of SR3, even beyond it's utterly insipid plot, juvenile humor, and lack of customization.... even beyond the ability to get all the weird mission specific vehicles and googaws that made SR2 so much fun... is the fact the the city was dull.... especially the airways and waterways, which in SR2 were full of life. Boats cruised the waters, people fished, they sunbathed, they jet ski's and took pleasure boats out.... The skies were full of planes, if you went to the airport you could watch them taking off and landing... it felt alive...

Sleeping Dogs didn't have jet skis, but it's waters too had people enjoying them...

In SR 3 they were completely devoid of life... sure you could own boats and planes... but there was no point to it, as the water was just dead...

Thats true. A modern open world game should have a world full of life. Everywhere should be people doing there stuff and talking to each other about everything.
That somthing i liked in the Metro games. They arent open world but every town or village was full of life. Everywhere was someone talking, the atmoshpere of these games are awesome.

I dug the idea of the metro games, but man, I just can't do the FPS anymore, gives me a headache just thinking about it...

So far I like all the ideas that have been presented. I can't wait to put on my NuSCUBA suit and find out what will make it into the game. I certainly don't want to fall into the water and die like in some other games or be unable to even get ankle deep in the water. That just goes back to the argument of artificial and/or unrealistic barriers to the game world breaking immersion.

So far I like all the ideas that have been presented. I can't wait to put on my NuSCUBA suit and find out what will make it into the game. I certainly don't want to fall into the water and die like in some other games or be unable to even get ankle deep in the water. That just goes back to the argument of artificial and/or unrealistic barriers to the game world breaking immersion.

yeah i hate games where my character dies when fell into water......in CP2077 i dont want to die because of water, i dont expect underwater exploration like GTA V but swimming should be ok

yeah i hate games where my character dies when fell into water......in CP2077 i dont want to die because of water, i dont expect underwater exploration like GTA V but swimming should be ok

Christ on a crutch I hate that.... What kind of adult doesn't know how to swim? In RDR, even where not knowing how to swim kind of made sense, if the water got paster your waste, you just died.... the fuck?

Top Bottom