The Official Witcher Wiki has moved

+
Seeing this problem here, I'd like to request the deletion of ANYTHING related to Wikia before we create the Curse accounts.

Hi everyone,

I'm really glad you're coming over to Curse. I'll do everything i can to smooth things. Feel free to email me directly at witcherwiki [at] gmail.com.

I do apologise for the messiness of the account merge process.

From what i've seen, the best way to do things is to first create an account at Curse.com. After that, you can reclaim the wikia account, then as DiamondDove pointed out, wait a bit before trying to Merge the accounts.

When you log in with the account you used to reclaim the wiki account, then merge that with the Curse.com account.

If you are trying to reclaim the wikia account before logging in with a new wiki account, that is most likely the cause any problems.

Wikia has also finally noticed that the wiki has moved, so in all likelihood, i'll be banned there (as they did with Ausir when he moved The Vault) so leave any messages for me at the official wiki (witcher.gamepedia.com)

cheers! and welcome!

********* UPDATE **********
It's official, wikia has noticed the fork and intends to ban me (if they haven't already)

********* UPDATE 2 **********
yep, i'm now banned ... sigh

********* UPDATE 3 **********
.. and now they've widened the ban to the entire wikia network

Let Wikia ban you, for all we care. We want to help you guys spread the word for your amazing game in all languages. :) Let Wikia go to Tartarus for all we care. :)

Tannosuke said:
Let Wikia ban you, for all we care. We want to help you guys spread the word for your amazing game in all languages. :)/> Let Wikia go to Tartarus for all we care. :)/>

I appreciate the support!

Guest 2091327

Banned? Why on earth would they ban you for moving the wiki elsewhere?

Pangaea said:
Banned? Why on earth would they ban you for moving the wiki elsewhere?
well, why ... because you are not agree with the wikia restrictions and take this as a reason (to have more freedom at another provider) to "kidnap" all the admins and a lot of hard-working editors of one of their successful and super well maintained wikis. or simply: after the transfer you put some forwarding links from the old to the new wiki... who knows

Gilrond said:
I tried to reclaim my account and got stuck on this:

I made an edit to my profile (I thought may be it monitors for updates as kind of validation) - but it didn't help. No idea what it means.

Re: Reclaiming accounts

Having a Curse.com account is helpful, but when you try to reclaim your Wikia account, make sure you are logged out from Curse.com

Also, when you get the code, it must be pasted into the Edit Summary when you edit your profile at Wikia, that's the tiny box at the top of the screen on the right hand side when you are in edit mode, not the main body of your profile.

I hope that clears things up.

The Witcher wiki without Game Widow :confused:/> That's a no-go!

As I'm very active on the German Witcher Wikia. I got a message from a community supporter. She informed me that Game Widow has been banned because of offense of Wikia's GTC (no further details). I was really surprised about it.
I guess the German Witcher wiki is still at Wikia otherwise the community supporter won't contact me. She asked me to stay with the Hexer Wiki at Wikia and offered me to do everything to support the Hexer Wiki so that everyone is happy. Aha…

The things that really gets on my nerves about Wikia:
Blatant adverts which devour up the entire Witcher pages and spoil the layout
Innovations and changes without talking to us authors or asking us. Ridiculous, once I got asked what I think of a perm link to Gamestar Germany but it was already a done deal. I even didn't get an answer to my reply.
Deleting of pictures without further reason than 'offence of GTC'. There wasn't even a contact possibility to ask for reasons.

So from all these irritations I'm quite happy with the move to curse but… :D/> there are a few points which I don't like very much. Correct me when I'm wrong.

What happens to the original amount of content that remains at Wikia? After the move are there two versions of each Witcher wikis? Twin English, Polish, French, German, etc. Witcher wikis? Both are available to everybody to work on them.

If the true Witcher authors continue their work on the Curse wikis, all kind of trolls can meddle in the Witcher wikis at Wikia and spoil everything. So there will be two kind of Witcher wikis: one which gets neglected at Wikia and one which grows at Curse aka one "right" and one "false" wiki.

How do people gain the knowledge where the "right" wiki has gone, in particular new visitors of the Witcher wikis? When these people google for a Witcher Wiki or any kind of information they will probably get results for the Witcher wiki at Wikia which actually becomes more and abandoned. New visitors may then think: omg, what's that? It's useless and crap.
And somewhere on page number *don't know / far behind* of the google results snoozes the Curse wiki but no one knows.

PetraSilie said:
The Witcher wiki without Game Widow :confused:/>/>/> That's a no-go!
I am honoured :)/>

PetraSilie said:
Blatant adverts which devour up the entire Witcher pages and spoil the layout
Innovations and changes without talking to us authors or asking us.
I cannot say that Curse has no ads, but you can use an ad blocker. I can tell you that they do not hijack the entire wiki skin for ads though, as Wikia sometimes does.

PetraSilie said:
Deleting of pictures without further reason than 'offence of GTC'. There wasn't even a contact possibility to ask for reasons.
That was the last straw for me

PetraSilie said:
So from all these irritations I'm quite happy with the move to curse but… :D/>/>/>
Yay!!!

PetraSilie said:
What happens to the original amount of content that remains at Wikia?
Sadly, the content that was at Wikia stays at Wikia. There's nothing we can do about that. But we don't have to contribute to it (I know I certainly can't, even if i wanted to, which of course i do not).

PetraSilie said:
If the true Witcher authors continue their work on the Curse wikis, all kind of trolls can meddle in the Witcher wikis at Wikia and spoil everything. So there will be two kind of Witcher wikis: one which gets neglected at Wikia and one which grows at Curse aka one "right" and one "false" wiki.
There is every likelihood that this will happen. For one thing, Wikia will either assign some of its staff to try to maintain the wiki while they try to find new admins and contributors or people who didn't like how it was before could jump in and make it their own. I can assure you that Wikia has no Witcher experts on their staff though, and in fact, not that many good wiki editors. They hire people who work for cheap and are willing to follow orders, not people with actual wiki skills.

PetraSilie said:
How do people gain the knowledge where the "right" wiki has gone, in particular new visitors of the Witcher wikis?
Right here! CD Projekt has endorsed the move to Curse and their sites link to Curse. This is also the main site for the latest Witcher information.

PetraSilie said:
When these people google for a Witcher Wiki or any kind of information they will probably get results for the Witcher wiki at Wikia which actually becomes more and abandoned. New visitors may then think: omg, what's that? It's useless and crap.
It's true that for now and for the next little while, Wikia will still win the google "war", but as we continue to improve the Curse wikis, their ranking will fall and ours will rise. I'm already seeing the English (Curse) wiki rising in searches (just this morning, i looked up Witcher Steam Achievements and the Curse wiki was #3 ... not yet #1, but moving up quickly)

PetraSilie said:
And somewhere on page number *don't know / far behind* of the google results snoozes the Curse wiki but no one knows.
Again, that's up to us ... as we continue to contribute to the wikis at Curse, the Wikia wikis will indeed fall into a state of neglect (and likely be polluted with such features as Wikia's "Top Ten Lists", unwanted extra buttons and the rest)

No wiki farm is perfect ... if i was rich I'd host all the Witcher wikis myself with no ads, but sadly, i am not rich. The Curse wiki farm is less intrusive than Wikia and aware of the games' (and books') mature content.

I dearly wish i could just move the wikis wholesale, leaving nothing at Wikia, but even if we deleted every single document, Wikia would just restore them all from backup .. and they would, just to be spiteful, which is what they are right now.

I hope that answers your questions and eases your concerns.

Well, at least this pleases my eyes alot because it serves the main purpose of an informative wikipedia: more space for the content and no disturbance of superfluous adverts />

But what really annoys me that Wikipedia can keep all the valuable work that we all put into the wiki. As you said they will propably don't find any equal substitutes who can continue the work at the same level.
Do we resign to our work to Wikipedia though it's our intellectual property? I don't feel comfortable to leave my efforts there and the entire project goes to rack and ruin. Nevertheless Wikia claims it as their own effort and even bait new authors with words like "these are our rich of content Witcher wikis which we are proud of" And when new writers ask why the former authors left, they will definitely tell them, all authors were banned because of offense of Wikia's GTC. The reason the cummunity person told me about you which sound on first look quite criminal but actually lacks the truth />

This is a real pain in the neck />

All other problems I can bear and will do my best to improve the situation.

At long last, the German, Italian, Polish and French Witcher wikis are moving over to Curse. The moves will be happening over the course of this week (May 20-24, 2013). I'll edit this post and add the urls as the wikis go live.

If you are the bureaucrat or primary administrator of any other language Witcher wikis and would like to join us at Curse, please feel free to contact me at witcherwiki@gmail.com and we'll get the process going.

See you soon!

I guess since the other wiki is still used, CDPR want some presence there rather than ignoring it. It doesn't make it an official wiki.

This is a repeat of my post to the Gamepedian's group:
Hi all,

Marcin, our community manager, has repeatedly assured me that the Witcher wiki at Gamepedia is indeed the CDProjekt sanctioned Official wiki. These posts at Wikia are the unfortunate result of a deal made by an outgoing US (as in, no longer employed by CDProjekt) staff member.

It was agreed that Wikia could claim that they have the "Official Wikia" -- Note the A at the end. This is some sort of bizarre branding initiative by Wikia and has nothing at all to do with being the official wiki for the games and books. Unfortunately, it is confusing for people not familiar with the specifics of wikis in general and the peculiarities of Wikia in particular.

I am not best pleased by this situation, but it is beyond my ability to remedy.

Know that when you contribute to the wiki at Gamepedia, you are indeed contributing to the Official Wiki.

You can call it wiki, wikia, online encyclopedia, Barry or whatever you choose. I do not mind what is official and what is not. I want as many fans & customers to find information about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt as possible. I know Marcin is working with great people and sites he has worked with in the past, I am working with wikia, who are also great.

I do not really care about any sort of past disputes between groups. I care about our Witcher Community. The more good websites that work with us to help promote The Witcher, the better. I am perfectly happy for their to be multiple fan sites for Wild Hunt. I am also perfectly fine with there being multiple wiki/wikia sites. I understand that the people who run those sites work hard to do good work, and we fully support them. If one is "Official wiki" and another is "Official wikia" and another is "Official Barry", as long as they are accurate, helpful and happy to work with us, I will work with anyone I can. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom