The Old Camera Angle (closer) VS The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

+

The Old Camera Angle (closer) VS The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

• The Old Camera Angle (closer to Geralt)

Votes: 135 60.5%
  • The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

Votes: 88 39.5%

• Total voters
iirc it's dynamic based on Geralt's position with other geometry in the world and his current state (combat, horse, running, etc.).

At least from everything I've seen so far this seems to be the case. Might double check another time.

Edit - Also I should mention there's a difference between Cinematic camera angles and Gameplay angles. You are comparing two entirely different angles used for entirely different purposes in your images. But like I said, I believe it's dynamic, and it makes complete sense for us to be able to see more on screen when we're running around in the world--it cuts on needless exploration time because we can see more, and we can see the environment better during the combat.

Last edited:
for anyone in doubt skip to about 0:48

[video=youtube;eiVyGX-3sd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiVyGX-3sd8[/video]

second time i have used this. when Kinley went to games com he asked us for our questions.

at that cheers Kinley

the camera is properly set apparently. and it only changes depending on the situation, some you can find in the 35 min demo. it doesn't seem we will be able to set it. it will be a dynamic camera. it moves in during combat in some situations and out in others, closer indoors and further during exploring.

it would be nice to be able to have different camera options, but i think they play tested it and made the right choice. in regards to a close camera I would make the argument that during combat it is actually an advantage for game play in one way. it doesn't just get the player close to combat but also makes the combat unique in that it loses similarity to comparative combat from other games.

also a closer camera, although you may argue that it makes no sense because you can't see the battle, can actually add to the game play. when you have a closer camera you cant see behind Geralt and that makes the characters position in combat suddenly important.

allot of games have combat where placement on the battlefield allows you to cover your back even when you are not facing the enemy. this means that you can stand just about anywhere and still be able to defend yourself. your position relative to the enemy is not important. when you attack and this actually means that combat doesn't require you to think strategically about your position. this might not be the case for all combat systems but the point is that combat losses some of the potential unique intricacies of a real fight and becomes more about slashing and cutting because otherwise you don't need to care about foot work for the most part.

if the camera is in closer, suddenly players need to guard their backs. this adds potential for giving some variation to combat. because you need to know if someones behind you you will need to watch out for enemy placement. you don't want to get struck in the back. so now when you enter a fight. not getting caught between enemies is something you need to consider, you cant run in to the middle of a fight because it is a huge disadvantage. also having a closer camera means enemy AI, especially in groups, now have a reason to try different tactics on you (that is new and interesting behavior is useful). when the camera and combat allow you to defend every side of you, it doesn't really matter how enemies come at you. but when it's closer enemies can try and flank you get behind you. time is spent by the played in a situation when enemies are trying to draw you out into a situation where they have the upper hand. the player has to figure out a way of drawing out the enemy and, when they are in groups, players will need to brake the enemies group coordination, in order to win against them.

when you are facing of enemies where only as a group they are difficult. you might try interesting tactics, you might let them get a few shots at you to make them brake up because they think they have the upper hand and don't need to consider coordination, giving you the chance to take the offensive and kill the leader . you might decide to kill their leader, or pick them off one by one in a particularly brutal way (giving a purpose to attacking enemies with less armor to dismember heads, this gives a function to dismemberment in the game other than the superficial one it has), this might drop their moral, making them terrified and breaking them up that way. or you might run away, in order to make them over confident in a victory that they find is an illusion when you cit down those that ran after you.

I have gone on about this before but I wish some of this kind of cool behavior of AI was in the game.

Last edited:
I would like to take this moment and mention that FOV/camera angle is not merely about one's individual 'preference' but it is(and should be) designed on 1 principle - to provide the player with a sense of proprioception. The entire world - levels, sound, FOV - everything is designed around this.

As long as Geralt is centered horizontally on the screen (not offset to the left) and doesn't cover half of it, I'm fine with it. Most preferable solution would, of course, be a user adjustable camera but I highly doubt we'll get that.

Attachments

• image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-25607-2651_0008.jpg
    image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-25607-2651_0008.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 57
  • tumblr_nalpqy0imF1st0vumo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nalpqy0imF1st0vumo1_1280.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 55
^It needs to be that far out for the griffin to be viewed. With group combat and long distance viewing, a close camera is infuriating.

Close
Please, just let it be closer to Geralt

BTW, is it just me or, camera angle aside, the old photos (from old build) just look way better than the new?

Last edited:
^It needs to be that far out for the griffin to be viewed. With group combat and long distance viewing, a close camera is infuriating.

not necessarily. for the griffin fight you don't need it to be far out, because you are fighting a single opponent and it is important that your enemy always be in sight (which is a problem for some if you are in control of the camera while you are trying to fight). also a far camera when fighting against an enemy who is in the air, makes it difficult to view your enemy at angles where they are flying above you. the camera can end up in foliage, hitting walls or terrain, and is a distraction generally in environments that are not open, though there is a way of fixing that problem. when enemies are on the ground this isn't a problem, but It still doesn't mean a far camera is necessary for combat with a group of enemies either. a close camera has advantages for game play, having content sight of the enemy is not the only consideration.

View attachment 8507

Attachments

• close camera.jpg
    close camera.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

I personally do not like how far away the camera is, it could be done closer...just reminds me of skyrim having camera zoomed out... beats the gameplay mechanics of trying to be skill-full. unless they want you to have a "sixth-sense"...like being able to see most angles not in your line of sight.. though time will tell, i trust they have done a good job, im going to now watch the 35min gameplay and watch how the dynamic camera plays its role

Why not just allow the plyers the ability to control the camera zoom?

PLENTY of rpgs do this (even the recent Dragon Age: Inquisition). Just let the mouse wheel (or whatever remappable button) control the zoom in/out , bam, that solves both "taste" and players can simply play with the camera how they want.

I know while I'm exploring and talking to people I'd like the more zoomed in camera like in the first few screens but when I'm in combat I'd like to have it more zoomed out.

I understand both sides of this argument. Some people want the game more "cinematic", while others want the gameplay camera to not be so restricted and have such a low FoV.

Thats why I think the camera for walking around and exploring should be the close one, and combat camera should zoom out.

I'm pretty sure I've read in a Q and A that this was already the case unless it was scrapped like the slow-mo mode thing.

Well, as I stated in my posts in "Wishlist" and "Combat", I'm 100% for the closer one. In fact, unless you are surrounded by dozens of enemies, there is no problem in dealing with enemies with the zoom in, as we can see from the VGX 2013 trailer. Far camera is so cold and static. Honestly, the difference between the two cameras immersion-wise is like chalk and cheese. Anyway, at this point the wisest choice would be to make camera customizable in the options menu. It's not difficult to do and it would satisfy both requests.

---------- Updated at 03:02 PM ----------

for anyone in doubt skip to about 0:48

[video=youtube;eiVyGX-3sd8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiVyGX-3sd8[/video]

second time i have used this. when Kinley went to games com he asked us for our questions.

at that cheers Kinley

the camera is properly set apparently. and it only changes depending on the situation, some you can find in the 35 min demo. it doesn't seem we will be able to set it. it will be a dynamic camera. it moves in during combat in some situations and out in others, closer indoors and further during exploring.

it would be nice to be able to have different camera options, but i think they play tested it and made the right choice. in regards to a close camera I would make the argument that during combat it is actually an advantage for game play in one way. it doesn't just get the player close to combat but also makes the combat unique in that it loses similarity to comparative combat from other games.

also a closer camera, although you may argue that it makes no sense because you can't see the battle, can actually add to the game play. when you have a closer camera you cant see behind Geralt and that makes the characters position in combat suddenly important.

allot of games have combat where placement on the battlefield allows you to cover your back even when you are not facing the enemy. this means that you can stand just about anywhere and still be able to defend yourself. your position relative to the enemy is not important. when you attack and this actually means that combat doesn't require you to think strategically about your position. this might not be the case for all combat systems but the point is that combat losses some of the potential unique intricacies of a real fight and becomes more about slashing and cutting because otherwise you don't need to care about foot work for the most part.

if the camera is in closer, suddenly players need to guard their backs. this adds potential for giving some variation to combat. because you need to know if someones behind you you will need to watch out for enemy placement. you don't want to get struck in the back. so now when you enter a fight. not getting caught between enemies is something you need to consider, you cant run in to the middle of a fight because it is a huge disadvantage. also having a closer camera means enemy AI, especially in groups, now have a reason to try different tactics on you (that is new and interesting behavior is useful). when the camera and combat allow you to defend every side of you, it doesn't really matter how enemies come at you. but when it's closer enemies can try and flank you get behind you. time is spent by the played in a situation when enemies are trying to draw you out into a situation where they have the upper hand. the player has to figure out a way of drawing out the enemy and, when they are in groups, players will need to brake the enemies group coordination, in order to win against them.

when you are facing of enemies where only as a group they are difficult. you might try interesting tactics, you might let them get a few shots at you to make them brake up because they think they have the upper hand and don't need to consider coordination, giving you the chance to take the offensive and kill the leader . you might decide to kill their leader, or pick them off one by one in a particularly brutal way (giving a purpose to attacking enemies with less armor to dismember heads, this gives a function to dismemberment in the game other than the superficial one it has), this might drop their moral, making them terrified and breaking them up that way. or you might run away, in order to make them over confident in a victory that they find is an illusion when you cit down those that ran after you.

I have gone on about this before but I wish some of this kind of cool behavior of AI was in the game.

Agree 100%. I want to feel thrilled by combat situations.

---------- Updated at 03:07 PM ----------

I understand if the griffin is in the air, but when he's on the ground? And the werewolf combat is almost Diablo 3 far.

I hate it when the field of view is too small and my character occludes a big chunk of it, so i can't see sh*t. I'm playing the game because i want to be in this world and experience the story in it, not to watch Geralt's back all the time (which of course is impressive from an aesthetic POV).

So, i vote for farther away, like in TW1, where it was perfect for exploration. Because exploration is the most important thing in an RPG. :)

Last edited:
I prefer the new camera. I don't like closed in claustrophobic cameras in action games when I'm in combat. I want to be able to easily see what's around me without whipping the camera around constantly. Geralt has super human senses and no doubt he would know if someone is behind him, but it's hard to convey that to the player with a closed camera. Unless you make excellent sound design (Which depending on the quality of a players audio equipment and hearing they may not notice).

Would it be nice to have a choice? Yes. I would prefer a more open camera while in Combat if I had to pick though. Not exactly playing a video game for a cinematic experience either.

Last edited:

I vote for satellite camera i like to know position of enemies in nearest 100km, exploration is also much easier xD

I guess you're one of these black-or-white guys? :)
Sorry, The Witcher is not a tactical game...

Last edited:
I would like 3 or 4 cam options on the fly in game, hell at this point a first person mode might be fun too.
I don't even like FPS games, but hey GTAV just gave us the option, and it's pretty damn fun.
I mostly click the FPS cam mode just to see npc's and stuff up close, I could see devs giving us this option some day.
For now tho, I think the W2 cam view and the new W3 cam view, plus maybe one more view closer and one more farther away from Geralt would be nice.
That's 4 total, ugh.. okay one up close, like it was in combat in the first trailer with Geralt fighting those flying things is a must. Another cam option should be as the new smart cam view as it is now, to me it looks fine so far. The perfect view option tho, should be more like the cam view in RDR, the distance was perfect.
It was great because it gave you the feeling of being in a real big open world, it just made everything look that much more real in the distance.
The screen felt vast and open,
e.g TW2 and DAI view just made me feel very closed in, maybe it also had to do with the distance of things placed in the world.
I don't know what it is, maybe it's the lighting too but RDR's open world just looked more natural, it felt bigger, it was wide open and real, minus all the pop ins of course.
DAI looks like a very unatural state park sand box, the cam view in it's fake open world always feels boxed in.
Meh, CDPR/Someone on here has to know what I'm blabbing about lol.. or not, good night :)

I can't put my finger on it, but yeah the cam options in RDR own.

Top Bottom