The Old Camera Angle (closer) VS The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

+

• The Old Camera Angle (closer to Geralt)

Votes: 135 60.5%
  • The New Camera Angle (farther and higher)

Votes: 88 39.5%

• Total voters

Which camera angle do you prefer ?

1. The old one (closer to Geralt)

2. The new one (farther away from Geralt)

I understand both sides of this argument. Some people want the game more "cinematic", while others want the gameplay camera to not be so restricted and have such a low FoV.

Thats why I think the camera for walking around and exploring should be the close one, and combat camera should zoom out.

Or give us an option.

But if not, I am sure that a mod will be created in the new and improved REDkit.

The new one is obviously the more efficient one for actually playing the game, as you have more things in view (Geralt's back is hardly the most important element,) the old one is better for trailers, making the game look better (zoom showing more details and a more visually impressive, cinematic angle.) Best solution, of course, would be to have several options to choose from.

When it comes down to it is just personal opinion when t comes to freaking exploring. Of course it is stupid to want to fight in that level of FoV. But some people are just..really REALLY against it and I don't understand. I am really trying to understand why it is such a bad thing. I am not even trying to be snarky but can someone explain to me? Like, is it agains the "tradition" regarding witcher games? I mean, I remember someone got mad at me because I asked if there would be an option to remove the dialogue and character ID that appears above NPC's heads. Maybe it is something similar.

People complain about how Shadow of Mordor and Watch Dogs and AC4 had really close FOVs and they were unable to fight well and I had zero problem with it. Aren't I proof that it works for some people?

Maybe some people just don't like "dynamic" cameras and would rather them stay the same always, in which case they would likely choose the farther camera.

Nevertheless, I am confused. I suppose I am one of those "immershunf*gs" but I don't really see the issue.

---------- Updated at 01:26 AM ----------

I am trying my best to learn what things NOT to say around these forums lol. I have a LOT of work to do.

NEVER EVER:

1. Ask for Geralt to have a player home
Reason: Witchers don't stay in one place and this isn't sky rim

2. Ask for a bow as a weapon
Reason: Geralt doesn't do bows I guess haha

3. Ask for more stealth
Reason: Geralt isn't stealthy

4. Ask for gay romance option for Geralt
Reason: your reactions to this are hilarious XD although I understand lol. Geralt isn't gay, simple as that. He isn't a from scratch character like Shepard. He is predefined character based on several novels and he simply isn't gay.

5. Ask for first person mode
Reason: This isn't Elder Scrolls

Although come to think of it..how badass would that be??

6. Say anything bad about Triss or Yennefer
Reason: The civil war between these two fan groups reaches beyond Playstation vs Xbox or Edward v Jacob or Coke vs Pepsi in terms of sheer brutality. And I have preemptively learned to STAY CLEAR.

As other people have said, the ability to change the camera angle (Even if it's just a few options) would be the perfect solution.

However as long as you can see your feet and other body parts clearly whilst in Combat, I really couldn't care which one. Since we never saw the older (option 1) camera in proper combat action, I have to go with option 2 just because of that technicality. However if the old camera had also zoomed out a bit in Combat so you could at least see your feet and movement, then I really would not have minded either of them.

The newer one to me makes sense in a videogame, not the older one, that works well for videos and stuff because... since it's a video the rules of cinematography sort of apply, but since playing a videogame is not a passive action, that camera is not suitable IMO.

I think everyone would agree that it sucks when your gameplay is hampered by shit camera angles.

Selection would obvious be the best choice but I don't see that happening now that we're multiplatform.

Last edited:
There are camera and FOV mods for the Witcher 2 PC version so I'm not worried.

I think further away is better. In TW2 the camera was a lot tighter and the FOV smaller but the enviroments were kinda cramped and linear so it matched

Choice would be great, as stated, situation dependent each have value. If I could have only one I'd take The initial closer view....but won't complain with the farther one. View may still get a tweak yet before launch.

Wait, so what's the deal? Did they decide to remove the different camera position options?
I KNOW I definitely heard them say somewhere that there would be a few camera position options to choose from, either said on this forum or in an interview.
Is that not the case anymore? If so that's a major bummer. I'm a fan of the more close view cameras.
And this one for when you locked on, it looked fantastic,
View attachment 8463
View attachment 8464
This one in the OP where it's a bit zoomed in and character to the side was also great
View attachment 8465

Attachments

• 0bca0fb0f0.jpg
    0bca0fb0f0.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 694f7de491.jpg
    694f7de491.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 113
  • witcher_3_wild_hunt_vgx_2013-pcgh.jpg
    witcher_3_wild_hunt_vgx_2013-pcgh.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 126
I like the closer one more.
While maintaining the third person view it still lets you eperience the world as Geralt by not showing you TOO much of which Geralt does not see.
I think the wider camera gives you too much of an advantage, I liked the TW2 camera and I think they should stick to the closer camera.

But if I had a choice I'd say give us multiple options.

^Those first two are obviously not gameplay cameras, that's never happening if you're going to get attacked on all sides. They're what's referred to as 'developer cameras', used only for specific angle shots or footage taken from said angles, playing with those is not feasible at all, I don't know why you'd think THOSE would ever happen :p

Developer camera angles(since they're usually locked out in the consumer build) serve only 1 purpose - trailers. Well and maybe flying around looking for issues but those wouldn't be specific angles. 99% game trailers do these so I'm just a bit surprised why this is being asked at all.

showing you TOO much of which Geralt does not see.
That's the entire 'philosophy' behind 3rd person camera in the first place. Giving the player the advantage of seeing everything around, that's exactly how it works as opposed to the refrigerator box model of game design.

Geralt can't see something approaching him from behind, running towards him from a long distance, but the player can and react to it - 3rd person view.

I can't say about "you" and how 'you' would play but to be an efficient player camera control is the most crucial part of it, seeing everything and reacting to it.

Last edited:
^Those first two are obviously not gameplay cameras, that's never happening if you're going to get attacked on all sides. They're what's referred to as 'developer cameras', used only for specific angle shots or footage taken from said angles, playing with those is not feasible at all, I don't know why you'd think THOSE would ever happen :p

Developer camera angles(since they're usually locked out in the consumer build) serve only 1 purpose - trailers. Well and maybe flying around looking for issues but those wouldn't be specific angles. 99% game trailers do these so I'm just a bit surprised why this is being asked at all.

That's why I specifically said when you lock on. It glues to the enemy you locked on to. At all other times it's more centered to your character.
They said there would be multiple camera angles sometime after this SoD trailer was released, and it was implied that camera angle was one of the options. I wish I could just find the post/ interview this was said in.
I don't see why it's surprising I asked at all, considering we were shown it as gameplay, and it was said to be an option.

I can't say about "you" and how 'you' would play but to be an efficient player camera control is the most crucial part of it, seeing everything and reacting to it.
Yes, that's why the option part is so important. Let people choose, as we've been told was an option.
I have no problem playing games with closer, more cinematic camera's. It's a preference for me, and obviously the first two shots would be when you lock on and otherwise it's be more open. But camera's too far above, or too far away from the character just don't look good to me.

I don't see why it's surprising I asked at all, considering we were shown it as gameplay, and it was said to be an option.
It's surprising because it's done in just about every game trailer but those angles are never is present in the games and that was never said it would be an option to choose angles that was about camera distance.

Marcin said something about it IIRC but then in the Gamescom interview one person said no options but the camera is dynamic - far during combat, closer during exploration.

On a side note - one of the original 'promises' when TW3 was announced, they mentioned things that they were introducing/improving over the older games one of them was that the game would have a good battle camera that would give you a complete overview of the battlefield which is critical in a game where you're surrounded by enemies a lot of times and they don't take turns attacking you.

I can't say about lock on, I've never used it.

I have no problem playing games with closer, more cinematic camera's. But camera's too far above, or too far away from the character just don't look good to me.
Well that's personal preference so I'm not going to comment on that because I don't want or expect the game to be catered to only my needs.
Whether I "like" a camera angle more means nothing, what I'm talking about is hampering everyone's experience by choosing a bad camera for combat and getting attacked from offscreen. Aside from that let's not forget that FOV also physically affects people - motion sickness/nausea so it's not just about preference.

I "can" play TW2 with the default camera but I can play the same game 300x better with the camera mod that uses the traditional 3rd person angle.
I "can" play Ryse with it's horrible FOV, but I could play it a lot better simple if the camera wasn't nauseatingly close and didn't cover 3/4th of the screen.

That's the entire 'philosophy' behind 3rd person camera in the first place. Giving the player the advantage of seeing everything around, that's exactly how it works as opposed to the refrigerator box model of game design.

Yeah but there is a difference between giving you a small advantage (over shoulder view) or a huge advantage (wider and more birdseye)

I prefer the old one, but I might want to change the distance from time to time, it's refreshing. Like @Mohasz said, using the mouse wheel.

Top Bottom